Samsung Galaxy S6 Otterbox Defender Case

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
http://youtu.be/1Gp2R_XNB-4

I just posted this video on my YouTube channel, TheJCP006, on the Otterbox Defender case for the GS6. Video capture via my wife's GS4.

The case does a some bulk but it is not as much as you might think. The polycarbonate shell is pretty easy to assemble. The silicone outer case is a bit stiff but the power button and the volume rocker controls are very responsive. The flaps on the USB and the headphone jack are a little stiff but I expect that they will loosen over time. They do proved a pretty good seal against dust intrusion while in your pocket. The screen is very responsive and clear. The home button functions perfectly. Best of all, the OEM wireless charging pad work with the Defender case.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Also forgot to mention that it also adds a nice bit of heft, not much but enough to make it feel very good in the hand and solid as a rock. Definitely not throwing it on the ground or dropping it off the parking garage.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Im a fan of otterboxes. One thing i like is they have trimmed down the defender cases without sacrificing protection.. also on the note4, the corners have the bevels or whatever you call them, and it locks the phone in place inside the hard case.

The s6 is a beautiful phone, but to me it would require a case along the lines of the defender.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Im a fan of otterboxes. One thing i like is they have trimmed down the defender cases without sacrificing protection.. also on the note4, the corners have the bevels or whatever you call them, and it locks the phone in place inside the hard case.

The s6 is a beautiful phone, but to me it would require a case along the lines of the defender.

Posted via the Android Central App

Obviously, I agree that they have managed to maximize protection while trying to keep the bulk to a minimum to the extent that's possible. Some people still don't think its thin enough but over never had an issue putting the phone in my pocket. As these devices get more sophisticated and expensive , it only makes sense to protect them. The silicone outer layer provides really great grip so if your hands are a little slick or messy, there is less chance of dropping it in the first place. These cases aren't for everyone but if you value protection over style which is kind of the purpose of cases to being with, then you'll want to get this case. As I mentioned earlier, it has an even more solid feel in your hand. Speaker performance is not affected. I am going to try the IR blaster later tiday. The fact that the witless charging pad works would seem to indicate that NFC and MST functionality should have no issues but I hope to test those soon as well.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
BTW. When I went to Best Buy on Friday to pick up my GS6, they had Defender cases just not black as it sold out quickly. This is the longest that any Galaxy device that I have owned has gone commando. while the black sapphire is great. It is comforting to know that it is protected. The parallax effect of screen backgrounds appear to be moving in different viewing angles is also not affected as well.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed that the covers for headphone jack and USB have the symbols stamped on them. I guess we can't figure out that headphone jack goes in the round one and USB has pins to line up in the middle cutout at the bottom of the device.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Rugged as these type cases are, and I know Otterbox's Defender series have a long reputation, they are still protecting only half the device imv. I wish they would offer the option of an extra flip cover with a top or bottom hinge. Tempered glass helps, but not nearly as well as a closed phone.

Are you doing the same smash it to the ground "trick" tomorrow. Can we see your face as you cry. Thanks. (only joking)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Rugged as these type cases are, and I know Otterbox's Defender series have a long reputation, they are still protecting only half the device imv. I wish they would offer the option of an extra flip cover with a top or bottom hinge. Tempered glass helps, but not nearly as well as a closed phone.

Are you doing the same smash it to the ground "trick" tomorrow. Can we see your face as you cry. Thanks. (only joking)

Still can't get over spoiled stupid. With age and common sense, it should be obvious that throwing it down is stupid. He obviously didn't pay for it. Otherwise, he might have though about it first. If the Perserver case comes out, I may have to give it a try. If you think about the way the phone is weighted, it might be more likely to hit a corner or side.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
"Spoiled Stupid". LOL.

I bet there were a few emails going back and forth to Otterbox to cover him for a new S6, him being an unofficial Otterbox representative and all.

I am being unkind, but IDC.

The 22 minute water test by an older and wiser tester, and then plugging it in to fry the cable, should make Spoiled Stupid feel better about himself though.
----------

On Edit: I missed the second post where you mentioned this already.
-----------------

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I used these in the past. Good cases and built like a brick. But they make your phone big

It is, now that I have gotten used to it, not that big or thick. The thickness accommodates the display and rfc. Thinner cases may not protect these areas as well. Nothing worse than a cracked screen or camera lens.

NateInThe440

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I currently have the Otterbox Defender on my S6. It's going to stay there until Ballistic comes out with the Tactical case for it. Yes it's kinda bulky, but so am I. Last phone I had with the Tactical case accidentally got knocked off the roof of a two story house. It even bounced after it hit the cement driveway. Rushed down the ladder expecting the worse, but the phone was protected perfectly. The case had a little scuffing, but still functioned perfectly for the rest of the time I had the phone.

That experience sold me on the Ballistic cases for life. Just wish they would release them the same day new phones roll out.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I had the Ballistic cases for my Note 4 and did not like them. The real soft silicone had no support at the top and bottom and the phone would slide up & down while inside of the case. I looked at the Ballistic cases for the S6 today at Best Buy and the bottom area where all the ports are is just so wide open and real flimsy. Maybe the Maxx version would be better as it has port covers.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the Otterbox Defender on my S6. It's going to stay there until Ballistic comes out with the Tactical case for it. Yes it's kinda bulky, but so am I. Last phone I had with the Tactical case accidentally got knocked off the roof of a two story house. It even bounced after it hit the cement driveway. Rushed down the ladder expecting the worse, but the phone was protected perfectly. The case had a little scuffing, but still functioned perfectly for the rest of the time I had the phone.

That experience sold me on the Ballistic cases for life. Just wish they would release them the same day new phones roll out.
Otterbox has definitely done much better job of getting their cases out on or before launch day even if the Commuter gets out first.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the Ballistic cases for my Note 4 and did not like them. The real soft silicone had no support at the top and bottom and the phone would slide up & down while inside of the case. I looked at the Ballistic cases for the S6 today at Best Buy and the bottom area where all the ports are is just so wide open and real flimsy. Maybe the Maxx version would be better as it has port covers.

The Defender has snug port covers for the USB and headphone ports. There are even symbols on each in case you forget like that would happen.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
That was the first thing I bought as I was getting the phone I love those otter boxes have used them on a couple other phones also over the years

I like the amazed look I get when I sold my GS4 back as it was pristine out of the box looking.