Tips for setting up and using the Fingerprint scanner

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Tips for using the fingerprint scanner

Setup:

1. Go to Settings-Lock Screen and security-Fingeprint. When setting up the fingerprint, be sure to move the finger around a lot, scanning all angles of the finger. Scan the finger, holding the phone how you would normally do so. The finger has to completely cover the home button to engage, so using the finger horizontally might be easier.

2. If you normally use the phone two different ways, for example, sometimes use it in your hands, and sometimes use it on the desk, set one fingerprint while holding it in your hand, and another when the phone is on your desk

3. Even if you only use one orientation, for the most commonly used finger, set it to use two fingerprint slots to increase accuracy. You can do up to 4 fingerprints if necessary.

Usage:
1. Press down firmly for a second. Sometimes, pressing too quickly won't properly accept the fingerprint, and might leave you on the lock screen, so you will have to enter the fingerprint again. (note if firmly doesn't work, it has been reported that a light touch might work)

2. If you are having trouble, wipe down the fingerprint scanner with a clean cloth. If that doesn't work, then try to re-enter the finger print.

3. Fingerprint scanning doesn't play nice with SmartLock sometimes, so if you are having trouble, try to disable SmartLock.

Last edited:

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually I've found just the opposite with regard to the pressure issue. I find the scanner is far, far more reliable and accurate if you touch your finger to it very, very lightly.

naviman1

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
One weird thing I've found is that I'll have my finger on the reader and it won't unlock. As soon as I take my finger off, it unlocks. I don't think this is a case of me taking my finger off just as the phone happens to unlock. It's happened too many times for it to be a coincidence.

Anyone else experienced this?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
1. Go to Settings-Lock Screen and security-Fingeprint. When setting up the fingerprint, be sure to move the finger around a lot, scanning all angles of the finger. Scan the finger, holding the phone how you would normally do so. The finger has to completely cover the home button to engage, so using the finger horizontally might be easier.

After multiple finger print configurations i did above and resolved all my issues of inconsistency, moving your finger around is a MUST from my experience or else its way too restrictive.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually I've found just the opposite with regard to the pressure issue. I find the scanner is far, far more reliable and accurate if you touch your finger to it very, very lightly.
Interesting. Guess people can try both.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Do those with verizon have the web sign in option to use fingerprint instead of password. My settings don't even have the option. Looks like a cool feature. All I have is verify samsung account with fingerprint.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jeep_man

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had no issues with fingerprint readings. I set up 2 scans for each thumb. But now I have the issue of that I can't turn off security. It will only let me choose between fingerprint...pin...etc. the option to turn off any of these is grayed out and says the option to turn off is blocked by administrator encryption policy or credential storage. I have looked everywhere and I can't figure out how to turn it off

Posted via the Android Central App

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't have issue with using fingerprint to unlock my phone it seams to work ok. I was just wanting to also use it to sign into my web accounts without having to use password but it seams verizon has removed that option in the settings.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I do it differently to OP. I press the button in the wake the screen up, then just rest my finger on the button. Works every time for me.

Sent from my SM-G920I

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I found what has worked best for me after trying many different ways is to simply just press the home button and hold it down until your home screen pops up and then let go of the button. I have had the most success in doing it this way. The post before mine also works almost all the time it just takes a fraction longer to unlock the phone.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who has used the iPhone fingerprint scanner & the S6? For me, I had much more success with the iPhone. I would press the home button to wake my phone and leave my finger pressed down and the home screen would appear almost instantly. I kept using this same technique on my S6 and had problems. I noticed I had more success when I pressed the home button and left my finger on the scanner, then lifted my finger up after a brief moment. The difference is on the iPhone I would still have my finger on the home button when my homescreen appeared. It seemed like the S6 wouldn't work until I lifted up my finger.

Anyone with the S6 leave their finger on the button without lifting it up and have the scanner work consistently?

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a Spigen Neo Hybrid case. With it, I have around 50% success. Without it, darned near 100%. I am thinking the lip of the case keeps me from completely or properly covering the button.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Anyone who has used the iPhone fingerprint scanner & the S6? For me, I had much more success with the iPhone. I would press the home button to wake my phone and leave my finger pressed down and the home screen would appear almost instantly. I kept using this same technique on my S6 and had problems. I noticed I had more success when I pressed the home button and left my finger on the scanner, then lifted my finger up after a brief moment. The difference is on the iPhone I would still have my finger on the home button when my homescreen appeared. It seemed like the S6 wouldn't work until I lifted up my finger.

Anyone with the S6 leave their finger on the button without lifting it up and have the scanner work consistently?

If you look 3 posts before yours I just explained that leaving your finger on the home button until the home screen comes up worked best out of all the ways I tried it.
Mine works 98% of the time like that.

JevonKann

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I've just purchased my S6 and setup my fingerprint scanner, i moved my finger in all directions but still seem to have trouble unlocking the phone. At times I have to lock the screen and try a few times before it unlocks with the scanner. Anyone else experience this?

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a Spigen Neo Hybrid case. With it, I have around 50% success. Without it, darned near 100%. I am thinking the lip of the case keeps me from completely or properly covering the button.

I have the neo hybrid case and haven't had this issue. Have you tried deleting the fingerprints and re-registering them with the case on, using the multiple positions as described above?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa Oliver