New android user and confused

katiheefner

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi!
I have been posting and reading many of these threads about battery life. Some I see can get 14 hours and 5 or 6 hours of screen time....HOW? I have changed settings, etc. and nothing seems to be really working. Is this an issue with the software or is this just part of life? I am a heavy user of chrome, facebook, instagram, texting, and email and see my percentage drop 1% fairly quickly. When I take my phone off the charger it says I have roughly 10 hours of use but screen time I end up with less than 2 hours.

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm far from an expert...however this should not be part of life. I had the Galaxy S5 and the battery life was awesome! I know this battery is smaller but I don't think we should be experiencing the short battery life & drain most of us seem to be seeing. Hopefully they fix this soon. Otherwise the phone is really good and I really like the Android experience vs Apple. That being said I only have 5 days left to be able to return the phone (14 day period with AT&T).

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
From my experience, Facebook absolutely murders your battery. If you are rooted, download Wakelock Detector, if you aren't you can download it and use it by connecting your phone to a computer and entering a few simple commands in the command prompt and the terminal on your phone. The directions are linked on the app page in the play store.

Also, check your battery stats and see if something is keeping the phone awake. Actually you should do this before you do anything with the wakelock detector... but I am guessing you will see your phone is awake most of the day.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
From my experience, Facebook absolutely murders your battery. If you are rooted, download Wakelock Detector, if you aren't you can download it and use it by connecting your phone to a computer and entering a few simple commands in the command prompt and the terminal on your phone. The directions are linked on the app page in the play store.

Also, check your battery stats and see if something is keeping the phone awake. Actually you should do this before you do anything with the wakelock detector... but I am guessing you will see your phone is awake most of the day.

I haven't seen hardly any battery drain from Facebook. What are you doing to get that?

Posted via the Android Central App

anaphora68

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
There are so many variables here, it's hard to narrow down what could be causing the battery drain.

What carrier are you on? What apps do you have installed? Could be a rogue app, etc.

S6ER

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I play on my phone all day while at work. Fakebook, internet, installing/unistalling, exploring. You name it I'm doing it and the battery life isnt moving much at all.

I'm going to do a full charge once I can get it to the lowest amount of battery life, and see the results, but I can guarantee I can get close to two days w/o charging. Possibly even the full 48 hours

I keep my screen as dim as much as I can. Thats a huge help on battery life

S6ER

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I exaggerated quite a bit. I'm able to get about 22 hours of battery life with about 4-5 hours of standby time. I think thats good for this phone. You wont get much better

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I rarely even used it. It wakes your phone to track your location no matter how you have it set in the settings. Big improvement after removing it from my phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is like gas mileage. Only going downhill with a 60mph tail wind will get you 30mpg hauling a 30 ton load. Only going up steep hills with a 60mph headwind won't get you 20mpg in a Prius.

Look at your battery usage. The screen and Android should be th largest users. (If your screen is on almost all the time, 3 hours is a good time between charges.) Also read The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries so you don't end up replacing the battery more often than you should. (Unless it goes bad, you should want to replace the phone before you need to replace the battery.) Sucking the last bit of life out of the battery (that's how some people get 16 hours on a charge) will mean a new battery a few times a year.

Also, there's a battery problem with Lollipop/wifi/cell standby. Something is causing a lot of drain with some combination of those on some phones. There's an update that fixes it (it comes via Samsung push). (It's not a version change - if you're on 5.0.1, you'll still be on 5.0.1 after the update. It's just a bug fix.)

Also, don't use the Home button to get out of apps, use the back button. Using the Home button leaves the app running, eating battery.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is like gas mileage. Only going downhill with a 60mph tail wind will get you 30mpg hauling a 30 ton load. Only going up steep hills with a 60mph headwind won't get you 20mpg in a Prius.

Look at your battery usage. The screen and Android should be th largest users. (If your screen is on almost all the time, 3 hours is a good time between charges.) Also read The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries so you don't end up replacing the battery more often than you should. (Unless it goes bad, you should want to replace the phone before you need to replace the battery.) Sucking the last bit of life out of the battery (that's how some people get 16 hours on a charge) will mean a new battery a few times a year.

Also, there's a battery problem with Lollipop/wifi/cell standby. Something is causing a lot of drain with some combination of those on some phones. There's an update that fixes it (it comes via Samsung push). (It's not a version change - if you're on 5.0.1, you'll still be on 5.0.1 after the update. It's just a bug fix.)

Also, don't use the Home button to get out of apps, use the back button. Using the Home button leaves the app running, eating battery.

Follow up with the left menu key, select close all.