32gb vs 64gb

angela_f

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
The 64gb S6 is not yet available in the UK, so I was thinking of purchasing the 32gb, but I've been seriously doubting it and thinking of waiting the extra week and a half for the release.

Is there a MAJOR difference (aside from the obvious double storage space). People at mobile shops are telling me I will run out of space easily as the updates already take up a lot it. I take PLENTY of photos and have them transferred to my DropBox every 6-7 months or so, and I usually delete apps I don't use. I don't put much music, videos or games on my phone either. I'm just concerned I'll run out of space fairly quickly (as this is what I've been told), and regret not waiting for the 64gb; but at the same time, it seems excessive and will make my phone unorganised.

I've been debating with myself for 2 weeks, and every time I'm like "screw it! 32gb is enough", I always have an issue buying the phone (due to my bad luck). The longer it takes me to buy it, the more uncertain I get.

TL;DR: 32gb vs 64gb, is it worth waiting for more space, or is 32gb good enough?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The 64gb S6 is not yet available in the UK, so I was thinking of purchasing the 32gb, but I've been seriously doubting it and thinking of waiting the extra week and a half for the release.

Is there a MAJOR difference (aside from the obvious double storage space). People at mobile shops are telling me I will run out of space easily as the updates already take up a lot it. I take PLENTY of photos and have them transferred to my DropBox every 6-7 months or so, and I usually delete apps I don't use. I don't put much music, videos or games on my phone either. I'm just concerned I'll run out of space fairly quickly (as this is what I've been told), and regret not waiting for the 64gb; but at the same time, it seems excessive and will make my phone unorganised.

I've been debating with myself for 2 weeks, and every time I'm like "screw it! 32gb is enough", I always have an issue buying the phone (due to my bad luck). The longer it takes me to buy it, the more uncertain I get.

TL;DR: 32gb vs 64gb, is it worth waiting for more space, or is 32gb good enough?

I have the 64GB on AT&T in the US. Including apps there is 50GB free. Before apps, about 55GB free.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

JWG2011

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
My guess is there is no difference between these two phones except the storage size. Only you know if you need the extra storage space on your phone. I would say if there is any doubts than wait the 10 days and get the bigger phone. To much of a expense to impulse buy the 32gb phone and than hate it for the next 2 years because it doesn't have the storage capacity you need.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
In my experience, the biggest storage eaters are:

1) Videos
2) Music
3) Photos
4) Podcasts
5) Games

So if you aren't heavily into any of those things, 32gb is fine. What device are you using now and how much storage is left?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
While I find 32 gigs to be more than adequate don't forget that the operating system itself will take up about 9 gigs of storage so that, as a percentage, the 64 gig will give you far more than double the available storage space (e.g. 23 vs 55). Don't forget that these days mosy media you want can easily be uploaded to one cloud drive or another. Amazon Prime offers unlimited photo storage, for example. My music library is stored in Google Drive (or Google + or whatever its called these days) so there's no lost storage on the phone. Unless you download and keep full length moves or two hour concerts I strongly suspect that the 32 gig phone will give you more than enough storage.

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site
While I find 32 gigs to be more than adequate don't forget that the operating system itself will take up about 9 gigs of storage so that, as a percentage, the 64 gig will give you far more than double the available storage space (e.g. 23 vs 55). Don't forget that these days mosy media you want can easily be uploaded to one cloud drive or another. Amazon Prime offers unlimited photo storage, for example. My music library is stored in Google Drive (or Google + or whatever its called these days) so there's no lost storage on the phone. Unless you download and keep full length moves or two hour concerts I strongly suspect that the 32 gig phone will give you more than enough storage.

I agree, you get more than double the user-accessible storage space with the 64GB model. The size of the system partition probably varies by carrier, but you are going to lose about 10 GB, which makes the difference more like 22GB vs 54GB. Yeah, that partition wipes out about a third of the 32GB model's user-accessible storage space.

Personally, 22GB doesn't cut it for me. That is vastly smaller than the size of my music collection. It also doesn't leave much room for video content you may wish to load, unless you suck up using handbrake to recode. Sure, you can use the cloud, but that requires you to be connected, which is not always an option. Accessing the cloud also sucks up data bandwidth and more battery. Additionally, you typically also need local storage for data you create, like video recordings. If you want to shoot 4K video, you'll want as much storage space as possible.

Will 32GB work? Sure. In fact, it will probably be fine for most people. Most people. That said, the very fact that you are here hanging out with phone nerds indicates you are not "most people." ;)

angela_f

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the 64GB on AT&T in the US. Including apps there is 50GB free. Before apps, about 55GB free.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

I was originally rooting for the 64gb, but my sister has the iPhone 6 at 64gb and she's only used about 16gb of space in total, so it makes me think that 64gb *is* excessive. That being said, she has only had the phone for about 6 months.

angela_f

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
My guess is there is no difference between these two phones except the storage size. Only you know if you need the extra storage space on your phone. I would say if there is any doubts than wait the 10 days and get the bigger phone. To much of a expense to impulse buy the 32gb phone and than hate it for the next 2 years because it doesn't have the storage capacity you need.

That was one of the issues that had me the doubting the 32gb the most. I don't feel the need to have the latest phones, so I would plan to have this one for a good two years and I don't want to be kicking myself when the dreaded memory space message appears.

angela_f

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
In my experience, the biggest storage eaters are:

1) Videos
2) Music
3) Photos
4) Podcasts
5) Games

So if you aren't heavily into any of those things, 32gb is fine. What device are you using now and how much storage is left?

I had the Samsung Galaxy S3 (old school, I know), but I lost it in Brussels embarrassingly whilst drunk. I had an SD card from my old Blackberry which was full of old pictures and I was constantly getting the "low on storage space" message. I take a ton of pictures and it screwed me over badly when I had to update certain apps - and ALWAYS when I was in a moment of urgency too. But then again, I was told those phones were running on 16gb storage space.

angela_f

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

True, true. I mean, if I'm being honest, my biggest concern is running out of space for my pictures. I always have about 4,000+ in total (including edited ones, the ones received from WhatsApp, etc.) and find myself having to delete a lot from my phone. I like to keep my music on my iPod and only have a few on my phone in case my iPod dies or forget it at home.

I'm starting to think that perhaps I'm underestimating the 32gb capacity, especially because I'm only being greedy about keeping a lot of photos on my phone and comparing it to the pathetic storage I had in my old phone.

angela_f

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I agree, you get more than double the user-accessible storage space with the 64GB model. The size of the system partition probably varies by carrier, but you are going to lose about 10 GB, which makes the difference more like 22GB vs 54GB. Yeah, that partition wipes out about a third of the 32GB model's user-accessible storage space.

Personally, 22GB doesn't cut it for me. That is vastly smaller than the size of my music collection. It also doesn't leave much room for video content you may wish to load, unless you suck up using handbrake to recode. Sure, you can use the cloud, but that requires you to be connected, which is not always an option. Accessing the cloud also sucks up data bandwidth and more battery. Additionally, you typically also need local storage for data you create, like video recordings. If you want to shoot 4K video, you'll want as much storage space as possible.

Will 32GB work? Sure. In fact, it will probably be fine for most people. Most people. That said, the very fact that you are here hanging out with phone nerds indicates you are not "most people." ;)

Oh my god, I think I've screwed myself over by posting in this forum! Now I feel that I'm being swayed to get the 64gb, but at the same time, still feeling keen to get the 32gb just for the sake of having a proper phone and desperately convincing myself that it's enough space. I'm currently using my sister's spare Nokia Lumia and I CANNOT stand it.

I wouldn't consider myself a phone nerd, but dammit, this debate I've been having with myself has got me feeling extremely greedy with storage.

It may have to be down to a coin toss, which I am sure I will not follow anyway.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I originally was going to get the 64gb then I looked at it realistically and knew I could manage with the 32gb. Right now I have about 500 songs, 600+pics, 2 movies and my apps and still have about 12gb of space left. If you are not the type to carry your entire music collection or every picture you ever took in life you should be able to get by with 32gb.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Actually having 32gb total on my M8 (16gb internal + 16gb sdcard) I still have 2.5gb left after a year of photos and music, also a ROM backup and a ROM zip file, a full 5gb folder of titaniumbackup...
Though I heard a typical custom rom on S6 is about 1.5gb if not more so backing up rom + keeping a rom zip file on S6 will be about +1gb usage.
Also I don't have big videos, just a couple of recorded ones with camera and small funny pranks, if you will put long videos it will take lot of space.
My biggest game is Radiant defense which is about 20mb I think ;)
In another hand I can do lot of space by throwing half my hundreds of photos on my PC, deleting 3 years old apps backup in Titanium and deleting music I won't listen to anymore.
32GB is not bad, if the difference in price is as high as S6 vs S6 Edge then it's not worthy, but if the difference is not over 100$ then go for it.
Here too we don't have S6 64gb, only the S6 Edge has 64gb, last rumors said it will take 2 weeks to see the 64gb models

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I went with the 64gb model.

Apps are getting larger, pictures and videos taking more storage, it's just handy to have extra storage there. Probably won't use all of it, but better to be safe than sorry. Price different to me wasn't a big deal.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Coming from an 8gb iPhone 5c that I didn't even come close to filling up I find 32gb to be more than enough. Cloud storage ftw!

Posted via the Android Central App

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
But we have no real clue when the 64gb unbranded version will be available, it can be next week like next month or July!

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Don't forget resale value. It should be pretty good even with the 64 GB.

Pretty much difference.

It really depends on what you use your phone for. If you're an avid photo taker/video taker but you use the cloud to have them stored go for a 32, if you use a more physical based and relying on phone/sd card take the 64GB one :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781