Text Messages Disappearing

chriscookz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted before, I tried searching but didn't find anything.

My Galaxy S6 has been great except for one huge problem I've noticed. Random text messages disappear. And they don't just disappear inconspicuously.. they disappear AS I'M READING THEM.

I will get a message, open up the messaging app, start reading it, get halfway through it, and BAM, the message vanishes and it never comes back.

Restarting the phone doesn't bring it back, it's just gone.

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone know of a fix? Wtf is going on here. I know that some messages disappear because I SEE them disappear, but what gets me is how many messages have a missed that have been sent, and my phone just makes them vanish before I read or even notice them?

EDIT: Here's a video showing a message disappearing on my Galaxy S6.

Last edited:

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Oh wow. Not sure I have heard about that issue. I do not do a lot of traditional texting anymore but I will definitely look out for this.

I actually searched the issue real quick and it has popped up before for people with other Galaxy devices. They attributed it to the AT&T messages app that offers the back-up and sync service. Do you have that enabled?

Oscar Guzman

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
My phone has been doing the exact same thing. I have an AT&T S6 edge. I'll be in the middle of reading and it just goes away. It also applies to picture messages and the such as well. I'm kinda relieved that someone else is having the issue but at the same time I still don't know how to fix it. I just deleted the AT&T backup stuff so may be it'll stop now.

chriscookz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My phone has been doing the exact same thing. I have an AT&T S6 edge. I'll be in the middle of reading and it just goes away. It also applies to picture messages and the such as well. I'm kinda relieved that someone else is having the issue but at the same time I still don't know how to fix it. I just deleted the AT&T backup stuff so may be it'll stop now.

I too am relieved I'm not the only one. How did you delete the ATT Back up stuff? I have everything ATT preinstalled on my phone disabled, and in my Backup and reset settings area it LOOKS like it's just a google account... haven't turned those off yet tho.

Greekbeast49

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue, particularly with group/MMS. Been looking for a fix since I received this April 9th. Extremely alarming and not acceptable. May return. Samsung of no help, att neither.

agatons

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I keep having this problem too. I will even be in the middle of doing something on my phone and can read the message at the top of the screen but then it is no where to be found. I hope they get this figured out because it is very irritating. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem though.

Mr_Bugman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
This came up in another thread, possibly on another forum. I believe users were able to disable AT&T's cloud/sync settings that stored/synced texts to their server and they stopped disappearing. I myself don't have AT&T and haven't had the problem.

ColleenRose

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the same problem since I got the phone on April 9. I turned off the ATT messages backup and sync and it was good for about 6 hours then started happening. Went back in on the 11th to AT&T and they were no help. Figured it was an OS bug and told me to call cust service if it continued to happen a week after the phone was released. Still can't figure out why or when it happens, it seems to be random. I'm glad I'm not the only one either and finally found a thread with the same problem.

Oscar Guzman

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
My issue has been completely resolved by disabling the back up. The way you do that is logging into your account and remove the service from your list of features. I also disabled all of the AT&T bloatware just to make sure nothing AT&T was doing it. It's been one day and not a single text has disappeared.
Hope this helps!

leslie8671

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Me too.. Mine started about 2 days ago when my phone updated... I seem to remember it saying something about the AT&T backup. I'll be disabling that too!

Posted via the Android Central App

chriscookz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I took mine into ATT and the guy I had seemed very surprised at my issue. He'd never heard of it before. He did go through my phone and mess around with a bunch of settings tho, and since then I haven't noticed it happening *knock on wood*. He didn't really explain what he was doing as he was doing it, unfortunately, but I know one of the things he did was disable Push messages - I think that was on by default. Applications > Messages > More Settings > Push messages.

I also have all AT&T apps disabled. He also said something about Enhanced 4G LTE has been known to cause some issues, but I can't find that setting anymore. I think he left it on, though.

He did say that if it kept being an issue to bring it to a different store that had techs (and told me where one was) that could look at it, and if they deemed it defective, I'd get a replacement as it has a 1 year warranty. I also have a video of it happening I can try to share so people can see what is happening. That video was priceless getting the ATT rep to take my seriously when I first walked in - we couldn't duplicate the issue in store.

Hope that helps someone.

Heidi22

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue! It is so frustrating because I will get to read like the first few words and then it is gone! It only does it once in awhile though. I can't figure it out.

heleng1283

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one!!

My husband and I both got brand new phones a couple of weeks ago. I got the S6 and he got the S6 Edge. Last week I started noticing that my messages were being deleted and I couldn't find a consistent reason why, so I thought it was something I was doing. It's been getting worse and my husband's Edge has had no problems. We've changed the settings, disabled AT&T's back up, disabled Push messages and it's still happening.

Looks like I'll be making a trip to AT&T this weekend.

heleng1283

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I just called AT&T and apparently this is a known issue. I was told that Samsung and AT&T are working on a patch to fix the issue. They filed a "case" and I was told that I'll be getting a notification for an update once the patch is complete.

Brittany Jones2

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
My issue has been completely resolved by disabling the back up. The way you do that is logging into your account and remove the service from your list of features. I also disabled all of the AT&T bloatware just to make sure nothing AT&T was doing it. It's been one day and not a single text has disappeared.
Hope this helps!

Logging into what account? Like att.com? My texts keep disappearing also and I'm with AT&T.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Logging into what account? Like att.com? My texts keep disappearing also and I'm with AT&T.

yeah, log into your att account to disable the backup service.

As if people do not have enough reasons to hate bloat. AT&Ts carrier crap messing up the most basic functions of a cell phone.

Alex Kick

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I have read a couple articles about people who switch from iPhone to an android have the most trouble. It sounds like even if you disconnect your number from iMessage, other iPhones may still think you have one. My boyfriend has an iPhone, and his text are disappearing, so I will fiddle with his phone when I get home and see if anything helps.

Just now it says he sent me a couple text, I go to read them and they are gone...........