Samsung Galaxy S6 Screen rotation won't work

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I've seen this at the Galaxy S6 Edge forum. But no-one seems to have a 'normal' S6 128GB with the same problem except me (so far).
Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?

What I've done so far:
-Checked that the button for Screen Rotation was ON
-Safe mode to see if a third party app was interfering with the programming
-Factory reset

None worked, my screen still won't rotate. It's stuck in portrait mode.
I opened up the package with my phone this morning. It worked fine in the beginning. But no longer.

If anyone has an idea on how to fix it I'd be happy to listen and try it out.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey there!
Is there any chance you have another launcher running/installed? At least with my experience with Nova, there are options within the launcher setttings that affect screen rotation settings.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
When you are on the home screens, no it won't rotate. Not unless you install a launcher.

For apps, yes they will rotate if it is turned on.

Posted via the Android Central App

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
At BioFanatic: I don't think so, it also didn't work when I was in safe mode and it should then ignore all installed apps.

At Warpdrive: Any app I open will not rotate it's view.

Just realized that when I open the camera everything is upside down except for what's taken in the picture. When I turn my phone 180 degrees nothing happens (the icons are now up in the correct position but I'm holding my phone upside down.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Try to turn off then on the screen rotation once more then do a restart of your phone.
If that doesn't help, then you can try wiping your phone's cashe so a factory reset shouldn't be needed.

Get back to us with your results.

Posted via the Android Central App

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I did it but it didn't work. Still no rotation.

Got in touch with Samsung on their Live Chat.
They've not heard of this problem yet. According to them I was the first one. Which is strange because as you can read on the S6 Edge forum a lot of people have returned their phones and gotten new ones.

Jrenaud01

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, they are full of it. I had this issue with my S6 Edge on Monday and was on a Live Chat with them then. At that time they claimed to not have heard of it either. I called them out on that, stating that it was all over the Internet already. I ended up getting a replacement from the Verizon store on Friday, then the very next morning, same problem. This is seriously frustrating. Both Verizon stores I went to said they haven't had anyone with this issue come back. The Best Buy I visited last night said the same thing when I showed it to the Samsung rep there.

wildta2000

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Same issue with Edge 128gb. Was working fine until a couple hours ago. Everything I've tried and read about the gyroscope still doesn't fix it yet.

Everyone should post on Facebook and twitter with hashtag #samsung #S6.

Jrenaud01

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
My second S6 Edge 32Gb is now also not rotating. Went to a third Verizon store and yet again they claimed to know nothing of the issue. Samsung must be threatening their families' lives to be so silent on this. I called ahead to make sure they had an S6 (non-edge) 64Gb in black and they said they did. It took me 10 minutes to drive to the store and when they asked me what I was coming in for, at the door, I told them I was there to have my phone switched out. After that, they suddenly didn't have the phone I was looking for any longer. If they want to lie to my face about not hearing of this issue, whatever, but don't stand there and refuse to trade out my POS second phone when I bought the first one not more than 9 days ago.

By the way, when I traded the first phone in for the second one, they didn't exchange my fast charger that came with the phone. Maybe my charger is the cause? A guy at my work also got one of these phones on launch day and hasn't had an issue yet. I can't see me having that cappy of luck, two phones in a row. I really am wondering about the charger. Each phone that broke, was broke in the morning, after charging all night. Either way, I'm throwing in the towel and getting a plain Jane S6. Total fail Samsung, total fail.

Last edited:

lorensztajer

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same thing last night with my 64GB "normal" S6. After speaking to tech support on the phone and going through all the possible solutions, they suggested taking it to the store for a replacement. Charged my phone via computer USB overnight because I saw some online comments that it might be the rapid charger affecting the accelerometer. Took it to the Verizon store this morning, still having the issue. After a power-off and on, and resetting the screen rotation option, it started working again. Advice I received was to "just keep using it and hopefully any problems will show up again within the 14-day window".

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Fast charge the hell out of it and get a different phone. After two Edges and a regular S6 (that's starting the issue), that's what I'm going to do.

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
We called our provider to have the S6 switched out and low and behold it started rotating the day after. We didn't install or update anything.
Perhaps the heat from recharging loosened the gyroscope? But will it happen again? Do we change it out for another one next week or do we keep this one. Not buying any phone one week after release date ever again.

Last edited:

linkue

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
The issuse is with the fast charging. It heats up the battery and the sensor is located close to the battery. Trade in your S6 or S6 edge and do not use the fast charging. This is my 3rd edge and the second one didnt last 2 hours with the fast charger. my 3rd i have had over a week now and i have used wireless charging And have made all updates. The only thing i have done different this time is I avoid the fast charger. And no a software update will not fix this.

Ebko

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I've had this problem with other Samsung phones and there is no fix (only replacement) . Also had usb connector failures. Just installed wireless charging. Sorry

Posted via Android Central App

dagactor

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I spent a while on the phone with Samsung yesterday and was told they are aware of the problem and it's an issue of TouchWhiz conflicting with Lollipop. Supposedly there is a 5.1+ update coming sometime soon that will hopefully fix it. The Samsung rep didn't know anything about fast charging causing a problem. For what that's all worth, I thought I'd share. I'm using Nova Launcher and that rotates properly, so it's only random things like when I get a phone call or certain stock apps that don't rotate.

Ken Morris

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I called Samsung having the same problems you listed here. He told me it is a problem with the calibration of the motion sensor with the software and that I would have to exchange the phone for a new one. They have to open it up to fix so it is not a software issue at all. This is what he told be today on the phone.

graeme1695

May 2, 2015
Visit site
My pics wont rotate either... But, if i take a pic in virtual shot mode i can move the angle by tilting the phone..... Dont think its a fast charger problem or accelerometer..... Must be software.....
Galaxy s6 edge Australia.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs