Something just isn't adding up with this poor battery life.

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Can someone please help me out a bit. First, lets set some things. The Galaxy S6 has a 2550 mAh battery, the Nexus 6 and the Note 4 both have a 3220 mAh battery. So the battery on both of these phablets are about 26% larger than the Galaxy S6. Now lets look at the iPhone 6 Plus which has a 2915 mAh battery. Owners of these phablet devices are reporting phenomenal battery usage, many if not all are claiming that their devices are able to last two days, and extremely light users are claiming they can even go over two days of usage. So someone please tell me how a simple 14-26% increase in battery capacity allows users to last about two days on a single charge, but many Galaxy S6 owners cant even get through a single day on a charge. How is this possible? Samsung really needs to dig deep into their software and figure out what is causing their devices to lose charge so quickly because its clear that this shouldn't be happening and its definitely not a battery capacity issue.

0dBu

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting a day's heavy usage no problem on a charge. FB, Twitter, GMail and Reddit all syncing, lots of calls, texts, emails, etc. I haven't been plagued by any of the standby issues either. I charged my phone to 100% last night and then took it off when I got up for work in the morning. Granted, I didn't get a full 8 hours but it only dropped 2% in almost 6 hours. uploadfromtaptalk1429391020744.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429391037444.jpg

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The simple answer is that T-Mobile messed up the software that they installed for wifi calling. On top of any other Google or lollypop issues, half of the testers used a T-Mobile device and had bad results. Everyone else for the most part has great battery life.

There, you now have your answer. Case closed.

Posted via the Android Central App

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting a day's heavy usage no problem on a charge. FB, Twitter, GMail and Reddit all syncing, lots of calls, texts, emails, etc. I haven't been plagued by any of the standby issues either. I charged my phone to 100% last night and then took it off when I got up for work in the morning. Granted, I didn't get a full 8 hours but it only dropped 2% in almost 6 hours. View attachment 172423View attachment 172424

Good to hear, just got my Galaxy S6 today. Im just really confused on how people are only getting 1-2 hours of screen on time with their devices but are claiming that with their Nexus 6 can last two whole days.

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Also I forgot to mention how people with the Xperia Z3, which has a 3100 mAh battery, can last almost 2 whole days on a single charge. Samsung needs to step up and realize that they need to do some serious software optimization and tweaks to improve the battery life on their devices. Imagine the increase in sales they would achieve if they just set aside a team to optimize their software and get an increase in battery life.

Last edited:

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
The simple answer is that T-Mobile messed up the software that they installed for wifi calling. On top of any other Google or lollypop issues, half of the testers used a T-Mobile device and had bad results. Everyone else for the most part has great battery life.

I dont believe this is entirely true. If search through the forums here and on XDA Developers, you will see that its not just T-Mobile users that are having poor battery life. Personally I believe its Samsungs 5.0.2 Touchwiz software.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I dont believe this is entirely true. If search through the forums here and on XDA Developers, you will see that its not just T-Mobile users that are having poor battery life. Personally I believe its Samsungs 5.0.2 Touchwiz software.

I think it's a lollipop issue as other OEM owners are reporting bad battery life after the lollipop update. Besides im on sprint and is having this issue so it's not just a t mobile thing or a Samsung thing.

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a lollipop issue as other OEM owners are reporting bad battery life after the lollipop update. Besides im on sprint and is having this issue so it's not just a t mobile thing or a Samsung thing.

I guess the way to solve this would be to have someone flash Kitkat on their Galaxy S6 and report their battery life.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Also I forgot to mention how people with the Xperia Z3, which has a 2330 mAh battery, can last almost 2 whole days on a single charge. Samsung needs to step up and realize that they need to do some serious software optimization and tweaks to improve the battery life on their devices. Imagine the increase in sales they would achieve if they just set aside a team to optimize their software and get an increase in battery life.

Until last week that I got my S6 Edge, the Z3 was the best phone I've ever had, best all around phone with the best battery life, simply unbelievable, I managed to get around 9 hours of SoT a couple of times, obviously on weekend days without bluetooth to my Android wear watch, but on a regular normal usage it was always over 7.5 hours of SoT.

But, battery is not a 2330mAh like you have said, is a 3100mAh one and very important, the display is a 1080p one and having to power a QHD isn't an easy target for any brand and even less with a 2550-2600 mAh battery.

One thing though Sony UI is way much more optimized than most of Android skin and even pure Vanilla Android, that thing on Standby can last a week without charging., and Yes, Samsung is not known for software optimization but what they have accomplished with the S6 and Edge is nothing short of amazing, constantly being 5.5-6 hours of SoT with this battery size and a QHD display is a marvel of technology.

Those of you with some bugs won't be able to reach this numbers for now, but rest assured that once those bugs are finally fixed you will very satisfied.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I have seen every carrier have an issue... Not every person but definitely every carrier version of this phone have the issue. Most just think it's mainly T-Mobile since we got ours way earlier than anyone else... So we were first at reporting issues.

I personally have no issues anymore. I jump on my 2.4 GHz network and good to go. No complaints. It works like it should when idle and works like it should when I push it really hard. :) .

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess the way to solve this would be to have someone flash Kitkat on their Galaxy S6 and report their battery life.

Why would I want to flash KitKat over Lollipop? If I wanted KitKat, I would have kept my GS4. The Google Play Service issue, I admit needs to be solved. Larger battery size doesn't equal long battery life. Look at the M9 with a huge battery.

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Why would I want to flash KitKat over Lollipop? If I wanted KitKat, I would have kept my GS4. The Google Play Service issue, I admit needs to be solved. Larger battery size doesn't equal long battery life. Look at the M9 with a huge battery.

Im not saying to put KitKat on your device, I'm saying that in order to see if the battery life issue is indeed the lollipop update someone should test putting KitKat on their S6

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

As I've said, besides any Google or lollypop issues with battery....
That means that yes, there is an overly aggressive search or pinging of your phone with some wifi settings on all phones with lollypop.

But yes, the issue that T-Mobile added (wifi calling) on top of the battery drain from wifi and location services made users have poor battery life.

You also can't compare a 64 bit operating system with battery life of a 32 bit one as they are two drastically different operating systems and battery life will be effected by some of it, not counting any bugs.

This is me with everything turned on. That's even things left off by default, I turned them on too.

How are my results bad for gaming over 3 hours, YouTube for an hour, texts and emails, and a good hour of web?

Attachments

• 147.jpg
    147.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 258
  • 688.jpg
    688.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 258

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Im not saying to put KitKat on your device, I'm saying that in order to see if the battery life issue is indeed the lollipop update someone should test putting KitKat on their S6

How about you volunteer to put a 32 bit operating system on your 64 bit phone and tell us?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That means that yes, there is an overly aggressive search or pinging of your phone with some wifi settings on all phones with lollypop.

But yes, the issue that T-Mobile added (wifi calling) on top of the battery drain from wifi and location services made users have poor battery life.

You also can't compare a 64 bit operating system with battery life of a 32 bit one as they are two drastically different operating systems and battery life will be effected by some of it, not counting any bugs.

This is me with everything turned on. That's even things left off by default, I turned them on too.

How are my results bad for gaming over 3 hours, YouTube for an hour, texts and emails, and a good hour of web?

I have T-Mobile and don't have the issue anymore by switching wifi. So please don't blame it on that fully since but isn't true :) .

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Until last week that I got my S6 Edge, the Z3 was the best phone I've ever had, best all around phone with the best battery life, simply unbelievable, I managed to get around 9 hours of SoT a couple of times, obviously on weekend days without bluetooth to my Android wear watch, but on a regular normal usage it was always over 7.5 hours of SoT.

But, battery is not a 2330mAh like you have said, is a 3100mAh one and very important, the display is a 1080p one and having to power a QHD isn't an easy target for any brand and even less with a 2550-2600 mAh battery.

One thing though Sony UI is way much more optimized than most of Android skin and even pure Vanilla Android, that thing on Standby can last a week without charging., and Yes, Samsung is not known for software optimization but what they have accomplished with the S6 and Edge is nothing short of amazing, constantly being 5.5-6 hours of SoT with this battery size and a QHD display is a marvel of technology.

Those of you with some bugs won't be able to reach this numbers for now, but rest assured that once those bugs are finally fixed you will very satisfied.

Mistake on my part regarding the Z3, thank you for mentioning it. Not sure if you know about the Galaxy S5 model with the QHD screen, but that device barely had a battery life difference from the standard variant. I don't believe the QHD display really takes a hit on the battery life. But anyways, very few Galaxy S6 owners are getting 5.5-6 hours of SoT, which if everyone could then that would be great because that's what I am currently getting on my Note 4 and I would love to get that on my S6 (just got my S6 so i cant comment on my personal experience with the battery). But in all honesty it has to be the software right? If it wasn't due to software how would we explain the iPhone 6 getting through a day with only a 1810 mAh battery? Im extremely curious to see how the phone would perform running a different software and/or skin.

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
How about you volunteer to put a 32 bit operating system on your 64 bit phone and tell us?

Not sure if this was a sincere or sarcastic comment, but anyways I would if I knew how and it didn't involve having to root my device. I personally have no knowledge whatsoever regarding rooting devices and/or flashing roms on them so I'm not sure if this is even possible. However, hypothetically speaking this would be an interesting test wouldn't it?

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

I never stated that your battery life is bad, im saying that people claiming to only be able to achieve a maximum of 2 hours of SoT have poor battery life. I'll gladly take your phone though.. :p