Google Photos Full Resolution Backup

lucas.scott

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

I was recently noticing some differences in the pictures saved in the stock S6 Gallery app and those backed up in the Google Photos app. Even though I have the Photos app set to upload "full size"... there is a noticeable difference when it comes to clarity and ability to zoom.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix that I am simply overlooking? Because it's not even close to be honest.

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure they show in a compressed format when you look at them through the app. If you download the file, it should be the full file size.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google does compress things a bit when shown on screen. But if you set things to 'full size', the actual backed up file should be the same as the one you took.

You can always verify this by downloading the picture in a desktop browser and comparing the file to the one on your phone.

lucas.scott

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Thats fine, but what if I send the photo to someone else via the "share" option in the app?

Will they be getting the compressed version, or the full version?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Depends on where/how they look at it I suppose. Google will share the actual, full resolution picture with them, so if they look at it on a desktop or something, they should see the full res.

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm also kind of annoyed by this. Looking through the gallery app is fine, but then I don't get all the auto enhancements from Google...

It didn't happen on my G2, and I can see the same pictures in high Def on my tablet, so I think it's a bug.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1