Has anybody actually gotten rid of some of the Android/Lollipop/Battery drain issues with a new S6?

berndts

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Quick question - I'm one of the folks that is affected by whatever causes the battery drain, bad stand-by timing. Loving the phone, (especially the camera...outstanding!), wondering whether it would make sense to replace it and see whether there is a chance that the new phone doesn't have the issues. Worst case...it's the same with the replacement due to software/router/etc issues. Anybody had any luck with that, or was it the same with the replacement phone?
thanks much (and I hope this doesn't turn into another battery thread...it's not intended to....) :)

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Quick question - I'm one of the folks that is affected by whatever causes the battery drain, bad stand-by timing. Loving the phone, (especially the camera...outstanding!), wondering whether it would make sense to replace it and see whether there is a chance that the new phone doesn't have the issues. Worst case...it's the same with the replacement due to software/router/etc issues. Anybody had any luck with that, or was it the same with the replacement phone?
thanks much (and I hope this doesn't turn into another battery thread...it's not intended to....) :)

Try this first, if not get a replacement and see what happens.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/514137-adjustments-tips-tricks-maximize-battery-life-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge.html

berndts

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I already followed pretty much EVERY advice that's been given on this forum....from 1:00a - 7:00a my battery dropped by 10% with no use...

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I already followed pretty much EVERY advice that's been given on this forum....from 1:00a - 7:00a my battery dropped by 10% with no use...

Post detailed battery Stats screenshots and if they show Google Play services or Cell Standby at the top of the list, then I think you may still need have some room for improvements as Google Play Services can be easily fix with latest Google Play services version and for Cell Standby we may still need to know what you have done so far to see if you can make additional tweaks or if you should get a replacement.

Also, with the Battery screenshots we can see if you have a rogue app causing the drain, if there is nothing too detailed you'll need to install GSAM battery monitor to see if you can get more details about the amount of Wakelock time of your device and see if you can identify the app that may be causing it.

berndts

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
doesn't let me upload any images.

Overall, the last 24 hours weren't too bad, but some of the numbers still seem off.

23h, 7m 7s on battery
Android OS 23%
Google App 16%
Email sync 13%
Android System 8%
Cell standby 6%
Chrome 6%

SOT was about 2 hours

Isn't it weird that my screen time doesn't even make it into the list? I hardly ever get more than 2.5 hours and it surely is never on the top of the list. Would camera use by reflected in the Android OS number? There is no way I would ever be able to get 5 hours SOT with my current numbers...don't consider myself a heavy user, actually. The above was more or less with Wifi turned off since I was travelling.

2 days ago, my cell standby went up to 30% within literally 10 minutes...anyways...any additional advice is more than welcome, otherwise I'll try the replacement strategy.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Overall, the last 24 hours weren't too bad, but some of the numbers still seem off.

23h, 7m 7s on battery
Android OS 23%
Google App 16%
Email sync 13%
Android System 8%
Cell standby 6%
Chrome 6%

SOT was about 2 hours

Isn't it weird that my screen time doesn't even make it into the list? I hardly ever get more than 2.5 hours and it surely is never on the top of the list. Would camera use by reflected in the Android OS number? There is no way I would ever be able to get 5 hours SOT with my current numbers...don't consider myself a heavy user, actually. The above was more or less with Wifi turned off since I was travelling.

2 days ago, my cell standby went up to 30% within literally 10 minutes...anyways...any additional advice is more than welcome, otherwise I'll try the replacement strategy.

Your numbers sound good for your limited use. Are you on AT&T? If so, while cell standby will improve once you update play services, don't pay too much attention to cell standby for now.

And yes, you can get 5 hours of screen on time with your phone, just don't expect 24 hours of standby or total use like your getting now. It's OK not to be a power user.

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
7.3.28, it should be updating very soon to everybody, but if you don't want to wait you can download it from here.

I have to give you another like because of all of your great help here. Too early to tell but that update seems to make my cell standby magically reduce by over 20% for my last charge.

I'm going to have to run another test, but if this makes my already 6 hour SoT improve then this phone will clearly have better battery life than my m8 by far.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Is this supposed to help with battery life?

If you are having Google Play Services drain, then it definitely should, as it seems most Google apps are working a lot better with this version than with the one that came with our phones, if it's other type of drain then I'm not sure but it won't hurt trying.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Is this supposed to help with battery life?

I'm only still on the first charge, but even though my SoT is great, my cell standby went from 20% to 1% so far on this charge. I'm on AT&T too.
Edit: and play services is no longer on my list.
Oh, and if you update, use number 440

berndts

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Nope...am on Verizon. should say that this was with 12% battery left. One of the "problems" with reading these forums is (apart from getting awesome help, of course), that one always starts doubting whether there is something wrong with one's own device if one doesn't get 6 hours SOT :) so I might not go the replacement route if this can be considered the normal.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

23h, 7m 7s on battery
Android OS 23%
Google App 16%
Email sync 13%
Android System 8%
Cell standby 6%
Chrome 6%

SOT was about 2 hours

With that amount of Android OS consuming your battery it may be one of the services such as Location (GPS), Bluetooth or even NFC if you have them on all the time it should be that or something about that, try turning them off for a while, at least NFC and Location (GPS) and compare your battery life after a couple of hours.

Like I posted on my thread about tweaks, having all this services all the time won't benefit too much. I always turn all of them off and just turn them on when I need them, that's what the Quick toggles are for, even every manufacturer suggest us to use them this way. But if you need your locations on, try using one of the options that draws less power, not the one that uses the most, with NFC, there is no reason to have it on until you really need it, and for Bluetooth, I use it all the time because I have a Smart Watch and if not I'm at my car or at home with the headphones, so you should know if you need it on or not.

If you don't have those services on then definitely is something else, and I'd say that you should consider just doing a Wipe Cache partition in recovery Mode, and see if it helps, if not, then the Wipe data/Factory reset option also in recovery mode, just be sure to do a Full backup in Samsung's Smart Switch so you can at least restore most of your stuff back.

berndts

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I actually have Location and Bluetooth turned off (as per your earlier suggestions). Not sure where that high number came from, but not seeing it today. I was taking a lot of pictures yesterday - would the camera use be reflected in the Android OS percentage? That's the only thing that was different from my regular use.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I actually have Location and Bluetooth turned off (as per your earlier suggestions). Not sure where that high number came from, but not seeing it today. I was taking a lot of pictures yesterday - would the camera use be reflected in the Android OS percentage? That's the only thing that was different from my regular use.

I think it's part of the Android OS. But you should do the wipe Cache partition, it won't hurt but it can do a lot of goods when strange things begin to happen in the OS.

berndts

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
thanks Erasat! - If the camera use is reflected in the Android OS, then that's probably it...I took probably 80+ pics and a few very short vids yesterday. The picture quality is amazing by the way.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks Erasat! - If the camera use is reflected in the Android OS, then that's probably it...I took probably 80+ pics and a few very short vids yesterday. The picture quality is amazing by the way.

Yeah, outdoors with screen brightness way up, taking pics and videos will kill your battery on any phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2