Overly saturated screen after reboot?

Netrunner16

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I got a S6 G920I last week, and I had to return it because the home button was kind of loose, and it was making a fun noise every time I pressed it. Now I have the replacement working fine, but I noticed something rather odd.

When I restart the phone, if I enter my SIM pin and unlock the device immediately after restarting (i.e. without letting the device to turn off the screen) I'm getting overly saturated screen colors, to the point that my wallpaper looks completely different.

The problem goes away after turning the screen off and on, but it's very weird this is happening. I've seen several issues with the S6 screen on the forum but nothing like this.

I'm adding the steps to reproduce (old habit from my QA days) just in case you have time to check it on your device:

1. Press and hold the power button
2. Tap on Restart
3. Immediately after the device restarts, enter you SIM pin (if needed). Don't let the screen turn off.
4. Unlock the device

After step 4. I'm seeing the device with a completely different screen color. Blacks are waaaaay too black, and generally looking very weird.
As I said the problem goes away after turning off and on the screen.

I'm adding some (very low quality) pictures, so maybe you can notice the issue. In the normal picture, you can see some diamond shapes in the wallpaper, but in the saturated image you can't because of the high contrast colors.

Let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks.

Attachments

• normal.jpg
    normal.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 90
  • overly saturated.jpg
    overly saturated.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 90

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Can't tell in the pics but if it's doing what you said, return that sucker because it might be the screen or graphics chip going bad.

Posted via the Android Central App

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeh, I get this as well, it's just the screen calibration not kicking in. Like you said just turn off and on the screen, no big deal.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeh, I get this as well, it's just the screen calibration not kicking in. Like you said just turn off and on the screen, no big deal.

Mine doesn't do it and you shouldn't have to do anything to make it look right.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't do it and you shouldn't have to do anything to make it look right.

I'm this modern age I shouldn't have to flush the toilet, but my wife will kill me if I don't. So....

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm this modern age I shouldn't have to flush the toilet, but my wife will kill me if I don't. So....

So your saying that he should have to turn his screen off then back on to make it right when he shouldn't have to? That would be considered a defect, not a feature, and should be returned.

Soooooo.....

If your toilet isn't self flushing, then yes, you should have to flush the toilet. Whether your wife will kill you or not if you don't is between you and her...good luck.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Sound like a defect OP. Mine certainly doesn't do that. How often dies this happen? Every time you restart? Maybe look into getting a replacement.

Sent from my SM-G920I

clemsy

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I get this too and it is every time I restart the device, but like the OP said, once I lock the screen and unlock it, the screen returns to normal.

Anybody got any ideas?

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Software bug. I'm guessing both of you have display set to basic mode. It defaults to adaptive at boot and the basic setting doesn't get applied properly until turning the screen off and back on once. Samsung will probably fix it at some point.

clemsy

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine is on adaptive, I tried it on the other settings and rebooted, but it still has the same effect straight after reboot.

Is it hardware related? It only happens at reboot or powering on, for the rest of the day it's a completely normal device.

fredwu

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I suspect it might be software related. Don't quote me on this but I don't recall having this issue when I flashed the newer Indian firmware (AOD1). Now that I'm back with the Australian firmware (AOC4) I am experiencing this issue.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I suspect it might be software related. Don't quote me on this but I don't recall having this issue when I flashed the newer Indian firmware (AOD1). Now that I'm back with the Australian firmware (AOC4) I am experiencing this issue.

I also have an Australian version with the over-saturated issue

Netrunner16

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Just for the record mine was in Basic mode when I tested it, but it's the same with Adaptive display. I decided not to return the device since I already returned it once and it's not a big issue for me. Will update the thread in case any software update changes the behavior.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy