For wireless charging on the Galaxy S6, is there a way to use just the charging pad or do I hav to use the adapter?

Dennis Ou

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S6 wireless charging

So I have a question. is the a way to charge the S6 with just the charging pad or do I have to use the adopter. If I have to use the adopter is it really wireless charging? I might as well just carry my charger around Am I right? Also does the the wireless charging allow fast charging too?

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S6 wireless charging

Only need a charging pad.

Edit: I mis-understood your question. The wireless charger needs power to work so it must be plugged in. The wireless charger doesn't provide fast charging, you must use a specific fast charger and plug it into the wall and connect it to your phone with a USB cable. The charger that came with the phone is a fast charger.

If you want to charge your phone without having the charger plugged in, you will need a power bank and if you want it to be wireless, you will need a wireless power bank. You can search on Amazon for Qi wireless power banks and see what is available. You will still have to plug in the power bank at some time to charge it as well as it is really just a battery.

Last edited:

Dennis Ou

May 14, 2014
Visit site

I got the charging pad for my S6 and it doesn't work without plugging in the pad unless I'm doing something wrong

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Dennis, the charging pad is not the "wireless" part, the term "wireless" refers to the ability to charge your phone without plugging it in every time, you just lay it on top.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I got the charging pad for my S6 and it doesn't work without plugging in the pad unless I'm doing something wrong

The pad itself has to be plugged in... then you can lay the phone on it to charge. Once you need the phone or don't need to charge anymore simply pickup and go :).

SoyleMycelf

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

You could use something like this, but you still have to plug that device in once in a while to keep it charged. If what you are looking for is some way to keep your phone charged without ever putting a plug in a socket, we aren't living in that future yet. Once truly wireless power transmission at a distance is developed, electric vehicles will take over the roads overnight.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

You know, this thread brings up a really important question of what is the advantage of wireless charging, really? I understand at Starbucks or McDonalds, but for overnight charging at home, I am just using an old non quick charger. I was briefly considering getting one of the wireless charging replacement backs for the S5 because of the annoying port cover, but didn't because cases no longer fit. With the S6, I can't think of a reason to need one: plugging in as compared to needing to align the phone perfectly on a charger that needs to be plugged in anyway (with all the accompanying bleeps and bloops) doesn't seem to add any convenience to my life.

Posted via the Android Central App

sborn2

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I like the wireless charger because I can charge over night and it'll stop charging when it's done and not keep charging or "over charge"

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You know, this thread brings up a really important question of what is the advantage of wireless charging, really? I understand at Starbucks or McDonalds, but for overnight charging at home, I am just using an old non quick charger. I was briefly considering getting one of the wireless charging replacement backs for the S5 because of the annoying port cover, but didn't because cases no longer fit. With the S6, I can't think of a reason to need one: plugging in as compared to needing to align the phone perfectly on a charger that needs to be plugged in anyway (with all the accompanying bleeps and bloops) doesn't seem to add any convenience to my life.

Well for me it is the convenience factor. I basically always place my phone in the same spot at home (if it isn't in my pocket). That place is my computer desk... So I bought a wireless charger ($30 on Amazon) and put the pad on said computer desk... So now every time I lay my phone down it starts charging. It sits there and gains as much juice as it can .. If I need to leave 15 minutes later? No problem simple grab and go. If I get a phone call? Pick it up, walk around and talk, lay it back down and it starts charging once again.

So basically wireless charging is more a convenience thing. Some may not find this useful but for people like me who keep our phone in the same spot .. Throwing a pad there to lay it on (since we're going to anyway) and it can just sit + charge while there .. for however long .. Why not? :).

mclark1242

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

I like the wireless charger for the alarm clock. Countless times I'll pick my phone up and be tugged by the cord. Now I can just pick it up. I am debating moving my wireless charger to my work office, I see more benefits at work than home

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I like the wireless charger for the alarm clock. Countless times I'll pick my phone up and be tugged by the cord. Now I can just pick it up. I am debating moving my wireless charger to my work office, I see more benefits at work than home

Nab one for home and the office :). Haha -- but yeah do what works for you. At work I just plug in to charge so I can get quick juice .. plus there is a plug at my desk. Home is more convenient for me.

Dennis Ou

May 14, 2014
Visit site

Thanks guys really cleared things up for me I was expecting the charging pad to be able to store similar to a power bank and then I could just charge it without plugging in

Mr_Bugman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Thanks guys really cleared things up for me I was expecting the charging pad to be able to store similar to a power bank and then I could just charge it without plugging in

Ah okay. They do make some Qi pads that have battery packs. For example:
Amazon.com: Qi-infinity™ Portable Wireless Charger Power Bank 4000 mAh for all Qi compatible devices including Samsung Galaxy S5 SV, Nokia, Nexus 4, 5, 7, iPhone, iPod with Qi receivers: Cell Phones & Accessories

That would do what you are talking about. The Samsung pad requires it to be plugged in.

Nex2knotN

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Well for me it is the convenience factor. I basically always place my phone in the same spot at home (if it isn't in my pocket). That place is my computer desk... So I bought a wireless charger ($30 on Amazon) and put the pad on said computer desk... So now every time I lay my phone down it starts charging. It sits there and gains as much juice as it can .. If I need to leave 15 minutes later? No problem simple grab and go. If I get a phone call? Pick it up, walk around and talk, lay it back down and it starts charging once again.

So basically wireless charging is more a convenience thing. Some may not find this useful but for people like me who keep our phone in the same spot .. Throwing a pad there to lay it on (since we're going to anyway) and it can just sit + charge while there .. for however long .. Why not? :).

I agree, wireless charging is definitely a convenience more than practical especially when the S6/E can do fast charging wired. However, it will also help reduce wear and tear on your microUSB port which was the issue on my S5 where I had to replace that microUSB circuit. So I welcome the built-in option. Plus, where ever you frequent most, why not have a pad nearby to set your phone on to charge since you are already putting your phone down without the cumbersome cord to deal with.

My car even has a built-in wireless charger. I suspect this will start to be the norm more and more on phones as the technology matures and becomes cheaper to mass produce. Just take our network connections on laptops as an example. Look at how many laptops are now doing away with wired network ports. No one wants to be tethered anymore if you don't have to. Its all about convenience.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Ive been using a 3rd party wireless charger at work to top the device off...meh, i dont see the big deal to be honest. I had a Nexus 5 and never used the wireless charging, found a charger on Amazon for $7 figured what the hell. Its faster to plug it in and charge it, the convenience is minor in my opinion.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Ive been using a 3rd party wireless charger at work to top the device off...meh, i dont see the big deal to be honest. I had a Nexus 5 and never used the wireless charging, found a charger on Amazon for $7 figured what the hell. Its faster to plug it in and charge it, the convenience is minor in my opinion.

That is why it depends on the person. It is a huge deal to me since I can always have my phone topped off when at home .. even for a little while. As I said though I keep my phone in the same spot every time at home so .. Why not have a pad that it charges off of at the same time while sitting there? Rather than me having to plug it in every single time and .. let's say the phone rings I have to unplug, talk, then go plug back in. Instead of just picking up and walking out without a worry.

Just depends on the persons needs is all :).

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

If you're in an office all day, wireless charging is very convenient. It's just less effort to plop it on the charger than to plug in a cable, which means I'm more likely to use it. Also, I'm very happy that it's nowhere near as hot as the S5 got when charging wirelessly.