FYI, Replacing the battery (by Samsung) is $45

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Mods should make this a sticky.

I do hope this puts an end to the endless, ad nauseum "My battery life sucks" threads.

First of all battery life most certainly does not suck. 3-5 hours of screen on time is pretty typical of most smartphones out there and with even a bit of care, this phone should get you through an average 16 hour day with no problems. Want more than that, get a Droid Turbo.

And if by some chance you end up with a bad battery you can get it replaced either for free or for $45 (little more than the cost of a replacement battery for an S5 on Amazon) in one day.

Some people just like to complain.

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I also think it is great that Samsung has stepped up by announcing this battery replacement program, but unless you live near their service center in Los Angeles or Plano, it's not just going to cost $45 or be done in one day...as a prior post states.

While Samsung may get the swap done in one day, the vast majority of people will need to ship their S6 to the service center. Best case, you overnight ship your phone on the morning of day 1, they receive it sometime on day 2, swap the battery and ship it back out on that same day, and you receive it sometime on day 3. If they don't swap the battery the day they receive the phone (perhaps because it shows up later in the day) and/or if they don't ship it back out on the same day they swap the battery, you may be looking at a couple more days. And that's if overnight shipping is used both ways. Thus, you could be without your phone for 3 or more days.

Secondly, Samsung has stated that it's $45 plus shipping. They have not announced the shipping costs, but if you are looking at overnight shipping a small box or a heavily padded envelope a moderate distance (perhaps with insurance), the shipping could easily add another $10 to $20 each way. Thus, the real expense could be somewhere between $65 and $85.

Hence, you are probably looking at paying close to what Apple charges, but without the convenience (at least for most folks) of a nearby walk-in location and same-day service. Fortunately, Samsung has announced that they plan to open more service centers, but even if they follow up and do so, the vast majority of folks will probably still not live close enough to one to drive there. We'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

Furthermore, that same post states that $45 is not much more than a replacement S5 battery. I'm not sure where you are shopping, but you can get an S5 Anker battery for $12.99 shipped from Amazon. Both the reviews and my experience show they are great third-party replacement.

Again, it's great that Samsung has stepped up with this option, but let's be honest about the total cost, the amount of time you will not have access to the phone, and the fact that it is significantly more expensive and inconvenient than replacing the battery for any prior Galaxy model.

Not a complaint. Just the facts.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
+1, but consider it a complaint, and one of the reasons that, if someone gave me a brand new, sealed-box, S6, I'd put it on Swappa without opening it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech