How often do you charge your S6?

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I have only had my S6 for 4 days so im heavily addicted to it, I'm charging twice a day with heavy usage. Really enjoying the S6 , much more than anticipated. 40% email/text/calls , 60% web/YouTube/music/games.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Nightly on a standard charger.

M-F generally isn't an issue for me as I have a work-issued phone. I had to be in the office over the weekend so wasn't on the S6 much.

Since I'm returning to Denver for the weekend I'll see more normal use. I might have to charge during the day.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It's new so I'm playing with it way too much. So I charge it twice a day. 60 sec in the microwave and she's at 100%

J/k hehe

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Just to let you know that remember that this battery is Sealed so what it means is that for those of you that would like to have a good Battery Life and Longevity you have 2 options, pay for a Battery Replacement after an average of 2 years, sometimes even faster depending on the Battery Charge Cycles, or try to use another approach in relation to the way you charge your phone.

In a summary, the recommended approach for this Li-ion Batteries is to charge between 40 to 80%, so what it means is that you charge just up to 80, then let it discharge to 40 and charge it again to 80 and repeat. It's a little confusing but I'm currently using that approach and maybe 3-4 times a month will charge to a Full Charge and discharge to re-sync the battery.

If you want to read more about this, go to this link, How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University.

Last edited:

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Just to let you know that remember that this battery is Sealed so what it means is that for those of you that would like to have a good Battery Life and Longevity you have 2 options, pay for a Battery Replacement after an average of 2 years, sometimes even faster depending on the Battery Charge Cycles, or try to use another approach in relation to the way you charge your phone.

In a summary, the recommended approach for this Li-ion Batteries is to charge between 40 to 80%, so what it means is that you charge just up to 80, then let it discharge to 40 and charge it again to 80 and repeat. It's a little confusing but I'm currently using that approach and maybe 3-4 times a month will charge do a Full Charge and discharge to re-sync the battery.

If you want to read more about this, go to this link, How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University.

Good info. Thanks. I'm going to try this.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Once and a smidgen. I usually drop it on my wireless pad at work for a few minutes during the day if I do Pandora or something on my lunch break, then I charge it fully in the middle of the night or early in the morning. Gotta love that fast charging!

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

In a summary, the recommended approach for this Li-ion Batteries is to charge between 40 to 80%, so what it means is that you charge just up to 80, then let it discharge to 40 and charge it again to 80 and repeat. It's a little confusing but I'm currently using that approach and maybe 3-4 times a month will charge to a Full Charge and discharge to re-sync the battery.

Thanks man for all your help on here. Lots of help for alot of people. When I buy this phone next month, I wanna do this approach to help prolong my battery life but isn't it kind of annoying only having 40% battery life to use from 80% down to 40%? Seems like you'd be attached to a charger alot. Haha. How is it working for you? Just wondering if it would be easier to not worry about it and pay for a new battery to be put in after a year or two instead of only using 40% everyday? Hope this doesn't sound rude or anything I honestly am asking.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks man for all your help on here. Lots of help for alot of people. When I buy this phone next month, I wanna do this approach to help prolong my battery life but isn't it kind of annoying only having 40% battery life to use from 80% down to 40%? Seems like you'd be attached to a charger alot. Haha. How is it working for you? Just wondering if it would be easier to not worry about it and pay for a new battery to be put in after a year or two instead of only using 40% everyday? Hope this doesn't sound rude or anything I honestly am asking.

It may be kind of annoying depending on the user and each situation, in my case, not at all, I have a Wireless charger at my office and one at home, plus the FastCharging Power Supply and in my car I have a 2.1a Car adapter, so the way I've been able to use this approach for the past 8 days have been very easy and no stress.I'm charging it at most twice a day and yesterday was little different just charged it once as when I went to bed I still had 50% from the 80% charge I did at the office around 1:00PM.

In order to explain it better I'd need to begin with the first day I began doing this, so the first time I did the Full Charge and then just let it discharge to 40%, basically I went to bed with around 55% that night, overnight is just discharging 4% so I woke up with 51% and it last all morning an around noon at the office I was at 40%, so I put it on my Wireless Charger, it charged to 80% faster than expected been a Wireless charger, and then I was all day with that 40% charge I needed, so right before I went to bed, I put it to the fast charger and in minutes it was again at 80%, unplugged it and basically the same has been repeating daily since then. Charging twice a day but as you can see the way I've managed to do it, it doesn't even bother me.

When this routine changes then I have my Car Charger and my extra Wireless Charger at home and even a Portable Charger (It came with the Duracell Wireless Charger Kits I bought) to be able to keep the 40-80% as much as I can.

Last edited:

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm definitely not disciplined to go from 80% to 40%. What's the average cost of a battery replacement?

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm usually charging once a night on the wireless charger. My normal work day consists of 3 hours of straight streaming radio, Trivia crack, emails, text, then twitter and social media at night when I am watching hockey. Last night I got almost 5 hours of on screen time. Which to me is very good. I have a horrible signal at work and when I get home its all WiFi. I did have location services turned off yesterday. Today I am trying it with location services turned back on.

oheligflopp

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, no. That's bull****. Google the phrase "how do you charge your phone android reddit" and read the responses in the first result. Some examples: "The discharge to 0 way of thinking is with older NiCad batteries that had a charge "memory". The way lithium ion/ lithium polymer batteries found in phones are built it is actually dangerous to completely discharge. If they are completely discharged to 0% it could ruin the battery and it may not be able to hold a charge anymore. Luckily, modern phones don't completely discharge their battery. When the phone shows that it's dead there is still about 5% charge left in the battery.
So the only reason you might want to avoid charging is to maybe see how long the phone can actually last, but other than that you should charge it often. There is no harm in charging it every night."

"Battery University is talking about raw cells.
Your device's electronics already take care of most of this.
Just plug it in and use it."

chriscookz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had to charge mine every night. Usually gets down to 15% or so by the end of the day. Battery life is no where near as good as my old Lumia 920, that lasted nearly 2 days on a charge with the same amount of use.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, no. That's bull****. Google the phrase "how do you charge your phone android reddit" and read the responses in the first result. Some examples: "The discharge to 0 way of thinking is with older NiCad batteries that had a charge "memory". The way lithium ion/ lithium polymer batteries found in phones are built it is actually dangerous to completely discharge. If they are completely discharged to 0% it could ruin the battery and it may not be able to hold a charge anymore. Luckily, modern phones don't completely discharge their battery. When the phone shows that it's dead there is still about 5% charge left in the battery.
So the only reason you might want to avoid charging is to maybe see how long the phone can actually last, but other than that you should charge it often. There is no harm in charging it every night."

"Battery University is talking about raw cells.
Your device's electronics already take care of most of this.
Just plug it in and use it."

So it's bad to discharge to 0%. Is it bad to charge to 100%. According the battery university link, charging to 100% will reduce the battery life significantly compared to an 80% charge.

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I've had really good battery life and it makes it through the whole day. I just charged it overnight while I sleep like I've always done. Maybe a dumb question but this "fast charger" that came with the phone, is this supposed to be used all the time or will that wear down the phone faster?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow, another one of these threads on how to charge. While the 40/80 method is maybe the absolute best/correct method I prefer the simpler approach and just plugin overnite using a "standard" charger no matter where its at. Usually being anywhere from 10 to 30%. Been doing it this way since L-ion batteries came out. Never had a battery issue ever or needed a replacement. I think people stress out over this way to much. Very happy with my battery service on my S6. I get a full day with a little left over, perfect.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had really good battery life and it makes it through the whole day. I just charged it overnight while I sleep like I've always done. Maybe a dumb question but this "fast charger" that came with the phone, is this supposed to be used all the time or will that wear down the phone faster?
The Samsung rep I spoke with said no and I had asked him the same question. The charger ramps down after the initial "fast" charge. However some are complaining about screens that dont rotate anymore and the fast charger heat is being blamed. I just use my old standby "standard" charger I've had for years and one I really like for an all night charge at a slower rate. From what I've been reading I'm a tad leery to use the fast charger.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Plug it in at night when I go to bed. Unplug in the am @ 6:00. Use moderate to hard all day plug back in with at least 35-40% left. Rinse repeat.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Once a day, for a hour before I go to bed and it's completely charged by then. Fast charging for this device is glorious.

Posted via S6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol