Gmail App or Stock Email?

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I was in another post today discussing ways to eliminate duplicate apps. Right now I'm trying to decide between the stock email app and the gmail app. I communicate a lot via email, so I need to make a decision of which one to stay with going forward. Which one do you guys prefer and why?

In my brief experience with both I have my own personal list of pros and cons...

Stock (pros)
  • I love the simplicity of the layout
  • very easy to read
  • no pesky promo ads at the top
  • like the S6 signature block

Stock (cons)
  • may just be me, but seems like the sync takes forever
  • not fond of the "view as conversation" mode

Gmail app (pros)
  • easier to move items into other folders or add labels
  • easier to switch between gmail accounts (in my opinion)
  • like the splash of color (red)
  • syncs fast

Gmail app (cons)
  • I hate those ads at the top.
  • Not as easy to read as the stock app
  • can't figure out how to alt the signature block

Like stated, these are just my observations from brief use. I may have something configured wrong or there may be options that I'm unaware of. Just curious to what other users thought. Hoping there is a way to customize one to my liking so that I can remove/disable the other.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since I only use Gmail, I have no use for the stock Email app. I do have a Yahoo email account, but that gets imported into my Gmail account (in the cloud, not on the app). I think Gmail syncs pretty much instantaneously, while the stock Email app is on a schedule.

To change your Gmail signature, open Gmail, swipe in from the left, tap Settings, then your Gmail account. You'll find the Signature option there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the gmail app on my S6 as well as my tablet, and I don't see any ads at all.

I know that they're talking about--in Gmail, under the Promotions label, you get an ad at the very top. But only under Promotions--I don't see them anywhere else. It's the same in Gmail on the web.

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm using the gmail app on my S6 as well as my tablet, and I don't see any ads at all.

In the last year using Gmail (from my laptop/PC) they've started to embed ads above your emails. First they introduced that tab system, then I started noticing ads above those messages you have to 'x' out of. Well on the Gmail app on my S6 it's at the top under promo. It's a minor thing but annoying nonetheless.

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I know that they're talking about--in Gmail, under the Promotions label, you get an ad at the very top. But only under Promotions--I don't see them anywhere else. It's the same in Gmail on the web.

Didn't see this post. Yes that's exactly what Ike talking about. Under promos.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The only thing about the stock app is that you can group by date especially in the Trash where you have to delete one at a time instead of by date which was quicker.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The only thing about the stock app is that you can group by date especially in the Trash where you have to delete one at a time instead of by date which was quicker.

I dont see this anymore in the stock app...you used to be able to collapse and expand messages for entire date(s) but it's gone from stock app.

I am used to Outlook type mail so have always preferred simplistic look and feel of stock over web based email like gmail or yahoo, however, the stock app seems to take a long time to load details of the email (i can see the subject line but then body of message does not appears for minutes. Gmail is instantaneous. I may switch.

I also like Inbox by Gmail but for some reason the Outlook account that I added will not work. My gmail account works fine there.

happy2000hk

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Check out the outlook email app on the play store. I'm pretty impressed with what msft has done. It supports any email provider like yahoo gmail hotmail with exchange push support. With the gmail app, I've been having issues with yahoo mail come through and this has been a bit frustrating

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Gmail app (cons)
  • I hate those ads at the top.
  • Not as easy to read as the stock app
  • can't figure out how to alt the signature block

Open your Gmail account on any PC or if you can access full Desktop View on your phone or tablet do it there, but it's harder on mobile devices because of the screen size, anyway, open your Gmail in a browser and go to Settings and at the Right you'll see the Settings Wheel, in there you will see an option that say Configure inbox, so if you want your Gmail Inbox to look just like a regular Email App and not all those new Google stuff with promotions, social and other stuff, just uncheck all of them and leave just Primary Inbox. This was the first thing I did as soon as they changed the layout as I just hate it.

Your second item on the list about the easiness reading the emails, I think that it's related to the first thing.

For the signature, just follow what was suggested above, go into settings and you can put your signature just like in the Stock Email App.

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
On the stock app, there is a delete all under the more dropdown.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Open your Gmail account on any PC or if you can access full Desktop View on your phone or tablet do it there, but it's harder on mobile devices because of the screen size, anyway, open your Gmail in a browser and go to Settings and at the Right you'll see the Settings Wheel, in there you will see an option that say Configure inbox, so if you want your Gmail Inbox to look just like a regular Email App and not all those new Google stuff with promotions, social and other stuff, just uncheck all of them and leave just Primary Inbox. As soon as they changed this this was the first thing I did as I hate that new layout.

Your second item on the list about the easiness reading the emails, I think that it's related to the first thing.

For the signature, just follow what was suggested above, go into settings and you can put your signature just like in the Stock Email App.

Thanks for the instructions. I guess I didn't drill down into the Gmail app deep enough to see those settings. I have a ton of folders, so settings was way at the bottom. Removing those ads helped tremendously. I even see the signature block. There within lies one last pet peeve. I'm sure people will say this is silly, but the gmail signature block is regular font...opposed to the stock which is smaller and grayed out. I like that look of signature blocks that are a slightly different color as it distinguishes it from the email. Can't figure out a way to do that with the Gmail app.

Also, I may have missed it, but where do I go to change the name that appears when I send the message? I tend to append "(mobile)" on my name when sending from a mobile device.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Also, I may have missed it, but where do I go to change the name that appears when I send the message? I tend to append "(mobile)" on my name when sending from a mobile device.

That, I don't really know if it's possible, I haven't seen that anywhere in the settings, I think it just pull the name on your Account. But because of that I always use a Signature where I explicitly mention that I'm sending the email from a phone.

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
That, I don't really know if it's possible, I haven't seen that anywhere in the settings, I think it just pull the name on your Account. But because of that I always use a Signature where I explicitly mention that I'm sending the email from a phone.

You're probably right. I do see where to change the display name with the stock one, but don't see that with the Gmail app

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I dont see this anymore in the stock app...you used to be able to collapse and expand messages for entire date(s) but it's gone from stock app.

I am used to Outlook type mail so have always preferred simplistic look and feel of stock over web based email like gmail or yahoo, however, the stock app seems to take a long time to load details of the email (i can see the subject line but then body of message does not appears for minutes. Gmail is instantaneous. I may switch.

I also like Inbox by Gmail but for some reason the Outlook account that I added will not work. My gmail account works fine there.

Somebody in another post suggested MailDroid. I dunno what it is about the layout, but just was not fond of it.

Tried Outlook on your suggestion. Thanks! Forgive me as some of these things may have been options for a while, but I haven't used Outlook in any format in YEARS.

Like you, I like the simplcity of it. The initial inbox screen I think I like better than anything I've seen thusfar. It is very clean and legible with the small preview you see. I like that. Now granted you don't have the sender image circle like the Gmail app, but it still looks good using the intial block. Navigating to folders is also much easier on this Outlook than both Gmail and the stock app. The aesthetics are sharp in my opinion. Then one additional kudos I give to Outlook is the way they intergrated the calendar. Now that's pretty darn neat.

My only two gripes with it...

1. Once I actually open the email, I don't really care for the look of the messages. I can't explain it, but when you open emails on the Gmail App it just looks a tad bit softer and easier on the eyes. Not sure if it is the font Gmail App uses or what.

2. Second gripe is the signature. I'm sure that's small for some folks, but man that annoys me. You can change it easily, but it is not formatted and is the same font size, color, etc as your email font & text. Both MailDroid and the stock email gray the signature out a bit and make it smaller. It distinguishes it.

If I only were a genius developer and could combine facets of all these apps. lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad