Full reset and clear cache

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you'll be wiping all the data off the phone so you'll need to set up again. You can use Samsung Smart Switch to back up your phone and restore it after, however, it won't put everything back in place, so there will be leg work to do.

In order to do it, shut off your phone then hold the Power, Volume Up and Home button at the same time until the light blue recovery screen comes on. Ity will then switch over to a black screen with recovery options. Use your volume up and down buttons to switch between options and the power button to select. Do the cache first, then factory restore.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you'll be wiping all the data off the phone so you'll need to set up again. You can use Samsung Smart Switch to back up your phone and restore it after, however, it won't put everything back in place, so there will be leg work to do.

In order to do it, shut off your phone then hold the Power, Volume Up and Home button at the same time until the light blue recovery screen comes on. Ity will then switch over to a black screen with recovery options. Use your volume up and down buttons to switch between options and the power button to select. Do the cache first, then factory restore.

Fdr clears cache.

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
But if you just want to clear the cache without an fdr just do settings, storage, clear cache. You don't have to do the volume button thing anymore.

There are mixed interpretations about it, the old school told us to do the wipe cache and then the full reset, I still do that, but yes, doing the full reset will clear cache also, I just keep doing it that way because it takes just a second and you know what they say about old habits.

Anyway, the Clear Cache on Recovery is not the same as clearing cache from apps on the Storage menu, I'll tell you that on my daughters' Moto G 2014, resetting the App cache just do that and it takes seconds, but the phone keeps lagging and doing all kind of weird stuff, then you need to go to recovery menu and do the Wipe Cache partition it takes long minutes to finish and then everything go back to normal.

It may be similar but the example I gave you above show you that is not the same.

Last edited:

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
There are mixed interpretations about it, the old school told us to the wipe cache and then the full reset, I still do that, but yes, doing the full reset will clear cache also, I just keep doing it that way because it takes just a second and you know what what they say about old habits.

Anyway, the Clear Cache on Recovery is not the same as clearing cache from apps on the Storage menu, I'll tell you that on my daughters' Moto G 2014, resetting the App cache just do that and it takes seconds, but the phone keeps lagging and doing all kind of weird stuff, then you need to go to recovery menu and do the Wipe Cache partition it takes long minutes to finish and then everything go back to normal.

It may be similar but the example I gave you above show you that is not the same.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I should have added more info in my previous post but I was in the middle of something here and took the short route.

So, I may be wrong as my mind is not the same as a couple of years back, but the Cache that you are clearing in the Storage menu is the one that you can clear one by one when you go to the Applications manager and go los by one to all the apps, you will see that it has a clear cache option, I was told years ago that Clearing the cache on the storage menu just clear all those apps without going one by one, if that make sense to you.

The cache partition that you wipe in te recovery menu I was also told that is a partition on the device memory that is used by the OS to create system files cache and it can grow and grow and can slower the device it not cleared, just like the temp files in a Windows PC. Though, when you do the wipe, you are forcing the OS to create those files again, that's why when you take an OS update is highly recommended to wipe the cache, as doing that will delete previous OS files completely from the device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy