Temperature: Duracell Powermat vs Samsung Wireless Charger

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else use both a Duracell Powermat and the Samsung Wireless Charger? I have the Powermat at work and the Samsung at home. I've noticed the Powermat makes my phone noticeably warmer (almost hot) than the Samsung charger. My understanding is temperature plays a large role in battery life (extreme temps high or low). Is anyone else with both these chargers noticing the same temperature difference? I do have two of the Powermats, so I may try the other one to see if the results are the same. If so, I'm considering not using them, without a removable battery I'd rather not risk greatly reducing the battery life.

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the powermat and havent noticed any heat, mind you i pick my phone off the charger in the morning when its fully charged

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else use both a Duracell Powermat and the Samsung Wireless Charger? I have the Powermat at work and the Samsung at home. I've noticed the Powermat makes my phone noticeably warmer (almost hot) than the Samsung charger. My understanding is temperature plays a large role in battery life (extreme temps high or low). Is anyone else with both these chargers noticing the same temperature difference? I do have two of the Powermats, so I may try the other one to see if the results are the same. If so, I'm considering not using them, without a removable battery I'd rather not risk greatly reducing the battery life.

i'd stick with OEM Samsung.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the powermat and havent noticed any heat, mind you i pick my phone off the charger in the morning when its fully charged
You can use battery monitor widget or similar to monitor battery temperature while charging. Of course it will be cool after being fully charged some time ago

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I'm using mine at work and can check it periodically.

i'd stick with OEM Samsung.

That's likely what I'll do. I'm going to test the other Powermat first though. If it also makes the phone noticeably warmer, I'll move on.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
You can use battery monitor widget or similar to monitor battery temperature while charging. Of course it will be cool after being fully charged some time ago

Good idea. I'll get some numbers and make an informed decision. Thanks.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I used GSAM Battery Monitor and this is what I found:

Started charging at 1:40pm.

1:40pm 75 degrees 62%
2:02pm 85 degrees 75%
2:16pm 88 degrees 82%
2:40pm 86 degrees 95%

The GSAM temperature graph confirms the drop in temp late in the charging. Not sure what's going on there? I'm going to run a similar test on the Samsung charger tonight.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I used GSAM Battery Monitor and this is what I found:

Started charging at 1:40pm.

1:40pm 75 degrees 62%
2:02pm 85 degrees 75%
2:16pm 88 degrees 82%
2:40pm 86 degrees 95%

The GSAM temperature graph confirms the drop in temp late in the charging. Not sure what's going on there? I'm going to run a similar test on the Samsung charger tonight.
Normal as the charging rate drops near the top.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is from regular(not wireless) charging but it illustrates the point

uploadfromtaptalk1429832916735.jpg
f3dcdec5deaa8810a1f670262557ed8b.jpg

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
This is from regular(not wireless) charging but it illustrates the point

View attachment 173379

I did a small test last night on the Samsung Wireless charger:

11:05pm 78 degrees 51%
11:27pm 77 degrees 64%
11:38pm 77 degrees 69%

That seems much better than Powermat. I like your graph better, I downloaded Battery Monitor Widget per your suggestion and will capture better data. Thanks.

psharpe

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Because you have both wireless chargers do you find it difficult to find the sweet spot on the Duracell and experience losing the charge and getting the message "wireless charging paused", if so, do you experience the same with the Samsung charger?

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Because you have both wireless chargers do you find it difficult to find the sweet spot on the Duracell and experience losing the charge and getting the message "wireless charging paused", if so, do you experience the same with the Samsung charger?

Yes, it is difficult to find the sweet spot on the Duracell, and I get the message "wireless charging paused" often. In fact, I stopped using the Duracell. The Samsung charger is much easier to find the sweet spot on, although sometimes does require a few tries, and I never get any "pauses" once it's charging. With that being said, I have since bought the CHOE Stadium Qi Wireless Charger to replace my Duracell, and it's by far better than the Samsung charger also. Every time I put my phone on the CHOE charger, it starts charging. EVERY TIME. If you're interested...

Amazon.com: CHOE Stadium Qi Wireless Charger 3-Coils Wide Charging Area Wireless Charging Pad for Galaxy Note 5, LG G4,Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge,Nexus 6, Sony Xperia Z3V, Nexus 5 /7(2013) / 4, Nokia Lumia 1020/ 920/928, MOTO Droid Maxx/Droid Mini,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21