How to Transfer Photos from a Galaxy S6 to Mac OS X via USB

strassrachel

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

thanks for your precious comments. I am looking to be able to see for exemple my pictures on my MAC so that I can do come "order" and put them in folders etc.
Is there a way to be able to see the S6 as an external usb for exemple ?
When I plug in my S6 in my MAC it doesn't show nowhere ...
thanks for your help
Best

madhatter2426

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

thanks for your precious comments. I am looking to be able to see for exemple my pictures on my MAC so that I can do come "order" and put them in folders etc.
Is there a way to be able to see the S6 as an external usb for exemple ?
When I plug in my S6 in my MAC it doesn't show nowhere ...
thanks for your help
Best

No you can't do it as a usb device you must use the smart switch app which will allow you to transfer files both ways. See above for how to do it. It actually works much better than Kies.

Posted via the Android Central App

0dBu

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Its Apple's fault I think. They make their computers much easier to use with iPhones than with other products that are not Apple so they can force users to be on the same ecosystem. They do this with a lot of their products, pretty stupid imo.
Not really. I'm hard-core Mac and I've had 0 issues ever with an Android phone. If anything I'd even say its easier than dealing with Windows. There's no drivers, etc. ADB and Fastboot are easy to set up. Everything is plug and play. Hell, you can build Android natively on a Mac.

Dogdaze

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you can use a USB to transfer photos. Plug in to your computer using your USB
Go to your notifications by sliding down the screen from the top of your phone
Under your notifications, it says "Connected as a media device. Touch for other options"
Touch , switch to Camera (PTP) Your photos will be immediately accessable.

Only problem I am having, and maybe someone will have an answer, is my photos are
now downloaded in triplicate. The regular photo with file name, a "large" photo and a "best fit"
photo. I do not know how to change this. Can anyone help ???
Thanks

nmccord30

May 17, 2015
Visit site
android file transfer for mac or you can use Kies for mac its made by samsung either will work better then on windows and faster lol I use android file transfer as its for any android phone.... hope this helps

Dogdaze

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. From what I have found out so far is Android File Transfer is not updated yet, for the Galaxy s6. I can't get it to work. Finally got it working as far as AFT lighting up when I plug in my phone, but my Mac doesn't recognize the phone. I can hear the sound that says it's connected, but then it shuts off. Android File Transfer says it can't find device.
Also, when I can sometimes get AFT to lights up, I can now see a screen with a list of items. Found my pics in DCIM. I can click on DCIM and see all my picture files, but where is it supposed to upload to ? Message says To open file, move to computer. How do I get it to download to my photo programs or a storage place ? Only thing I can figure out is to highlight all, and drag to desk top, then I have to drag again into my folders. Also, can't see the photos to know which ones I want to upload. I end up uploading all of them then deleting the ones that have already been uploaded previously. Too many steps for me !

How is AFT really supposed to work ? I have nothing to compare except, with my iphone, I plugged it in and was able to transfer pics to any number of programs, iPhoto, Photoshop, Lightroom etc

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I have 3 alternatives for you:

(1) You could transfer the photos with bluetooth, which is what I do with my Mac. Just turn on bluetooth on both devices, select the photos you want to send, and select the Mac. The photos should transfer to the "Downloads" folder on the Mac.

(2) Download this app could AirDroid, which is an AMAZING app for this. What you do is install it on your phone, then go airdroid.com, and it will connect with your phone, and show you all your pics, and you can easily just download them to your computer

(3) Alternatively, you could just email them to yourself and download them on your Mac. the bluetooth method is much faster though

Omg airdroid is AWESOME!! I thought I wouldn't be able to text from my mac anymore since I converted to android lol thanks so much for posting this!

peachynz

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Just plug it in using the cable provided. Go to Windows Explore and in the Computer section you will see Galaxy S6 as a drive. Expand the tab and it shows phone, expand again and then finally expand the DCIM folder. There are all your photos.
:)
Simply drag and drop them to what ever folder on your computer you want.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
For me, Droid Nas has always worked the best for syncing between Mac & android.

dreaming of electric sheep

lahnir

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you can use a USB to transfer photos. Plug in to your computer using your USB
Go to your notifications by sliding down the screen from the top of your phone
Under your notifications, it says "Connected as a media device. Touch for other options"
Touch , switch to Camera (PTP) Your photos will be immediately accessable.

Only problem I am having, and maybe someone will have an answer, is my photos are
now downloaded in triplicate. The regular photo with file name, a "large" photo and a "best fit"
photo. I do not know how to change this. Can anyone help ???
Thanks

Where will the photos be immediately accessible? I can't see them anywhere. I've always had an iPhone and I've loved the S6 until today. I can't get my photos using any of the methods in this thread and I've been trying for over an hour now. Any other suggestions?

Dogdaze

May 11, 2015
Visit site
lahnir , When using the above method, my photos came right up in iPhoto. I also was able to load them into Lightroom by importing.
UPDATE!
I am using a Macbook, so this info is for Mac. After much trial & error, specifically for the S6, here is what I have come up with. First, if you have installed Kies, you need to uninstall it. Somehow it causes some problems. Install Android File Transfer. Plug your phone into your computer. A screen should pop up, but it won't if Kies is installed. Don't know why but this is what happened to me. I now get a screen that shows everything that is on the phone. Your photos will be found in the DCIM folder. You can simply highlight and drag those photos to your desktop, then drag into your photo storage file. This is the best I've gotten so far. It's really quick ! I also learned about this : Leef Bridge USB 3.0 16GB Dual USB Flash Drive Android Phones /Tablet Mac PC I just ordered one from Ebay. It should be here Tuesday and I will try it out. Read great reviews about it. Sandisk also has one but Leef Bridge had higher ratings. Hope this helps

geezer1

May 25, 2015
Visit site
You asked for USB transfer, but it might be useful. I use one of those WiFi file transfer. Just be on the same network (like home wifi) and you can transfer files with no cables. Works for me as sometimes I am too lazy to connect usb cable...

cocoabean15

May 28, 2015
Visit site
HELP! HELP! I'm experiencing a lot of waiting time to get my videos from my s6 uploaded via Bluetooth on my ancient macbook. Any suggestions wise ones?

rude_RC

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I accidentally figured it out, after a month of messaging people from Sprint (my carrier) to Samsung with no resolution. The last message I got from Samsung was to contact MAC with the issue…

Dogdaze

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so Robert, could you elaborate on exactly what you did ?
I don't see any new drivers listed on the Apple site. Where do
I find these drivers ?
My mac is a brandy new one.......one would think it was updated ???
Thanks !

rude_RC

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Actually I lost the connection shortly after I posted it but I finally figured out a way for Keis to work for my Galaxy s6 on both my MAC desktop and Mac Book! Mac currently doesn't have any drivers that I'm aware of and I wasn't going to pay $30+ for me to ask a question through mac support because it's not a apple specific product question.

First go into your settings>developer options and make sure it's turned on and also USB debugging is also checked. (I got these instructions from Samsung Support on twitter via DM)

Once you have Kies opened go to Tools>Install Drivers and see if once it's updated your AFT might pop and start working. (That's what happened to me earlier and I was so excited but I turned off the developer settings and lost the connection and couldn't make it come back up once I turned them back on. So LEAVE USB DEBUGGING ON)

You can then try AFT or Switch and see if those work now.
Neither of them worked for me until I plugged it into my work mac book that still had a previous version of Kies installed (Kies version 3.0.1.13112_5).
It's going to give you a couple of warnings saying it doesn't support it any more I clicked OK and ask you if you want to update Kies I said NO. And for what ever reason it works! I can now download photos, videos, and upload music from my Galaxy S6 through USB with no problem on both MAC devices! So much better than trying to transfer files through Bluetooth!

Screen Shot 2015-06-04 at 7.16.16 PM.png

I have it the KiesMac_3.0_Setup.dmg install file if anyone needs it (I never deleted it from my downloads folder from when I first installed it), I can maybe upload it somewhere or email it.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie