How to Transfer Photos from a Galaxy S6 to Mac OS X via USB

TheRealJTRay

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have moved to a Galaxy S6 after being an iPhone user since 2009. I love the phone, but I can't exactly figure out how to transfer my photos to my Mac running OS Yosemite. I had installed Samsung Smart Switch, but it appears that this application is for getting information from my old iOS device to my S6. I am fully aware that I can use sources like Google Drive and Drop Box to upload the photos, but I would rather do this via USB.

Samsung Kies does not work with the S6 based on my initial use of that program. When using the program with the S6 I received a prompt to use Smart Switch as Kies does not work with the S6. A suggestion that was given to me today was use Android File Transfer for Mac. I read though that this will not work with the S6 either. I would be happy at this point to simply plug the device in and go to finder and work with the files like I can on a Windows machine, but I don't see myself using a Windows PC any time in the future.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank you.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have 3 alternatives for you:

(1) You could transfer the photos with bluetooth, which is what I do with my Mac. Just turn on bluetooth on both devices, select the photos you want to send, and select the Mac. The photos should transfer to the "Downloads" folder on the Mac.

(2) Download this app could AirDroid, which is an AMAZING app for this. What you do is install it on your phone, then go airdroid.com, and it will connect with your phone, and show you all your pics, and you can easily just download them to your computer

(3) Alternatively, you could just email them to yourself and download them on your Mac. the bluetooth method is much faster though

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the answer. Do you have any recommendation for transferring music to the S6?

AirDrop (my second suggestion) lets you transfer anything to your device, so you can transfer music as well.

Alternatively, you could use Google Play, which you transfer music to your Google Drive, and then you could just stream it on your phone. Saves space on the phone.

I personally use Spotify, so I don't save any music on my phone

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I think you should be able to find it in the Google Play store. But here's the link to the app website - https://www.airdroid.com/.

FYI - another alternative is an app named "WiFi File Transfer Pro". You start it on your phone and then navigate to the URL specified in your computer's browser, and have full access to the phone's file system.

-# Cheers! #-

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
smooth4lyfe..out of curiosity can you 2way transfer with your mac? I can only send files from my mac to phone but it will not receive from S6. I have a MB air 2013. Ill check out airdroid though as it sounds like a decent option.

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
smooth4lyfe..out of curiosity can you 2way transfer with your mac? I can only send files from my mac to phone but it will not receive from S6. I have a MB air 2013. Ill check out airdroid though as it sounds like a decent option.

I'm using Smart Switch on an iMac and can transfer files both ways.

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
This is some great information. I am able to do this via Wi Fi file transfer. However, I would like to use bluetooth, and I have paired the macbook and the Gs6.

They both recognize one another, and it shows "connected" in the mac, but only for a second, then it shows "not connected." When I highlight the Gs6 in the mac and click "browse" it says "does not have necessary services." What services? Do I need to install something else on the Gs6? Or is it the mac that does not have the necessary services?

TheRealJTRay

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I am glad I am not the only one that is finding this difficult. Funny if I plug the S6 into my PC at work to charge all that comes up is do I want to view the files. Can't for the life of me figure out why this is so hard for Samsung to figure out on OS X.

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I am glad I am not the only one that is finding this difficult. Funny if I plug the S6 into my PC at work to charge all that comes up is do I want to view the files. Can't for the life of me figure out why this is so hard for Samsung to figure out on OS X.

I don't think it's so much Samsung but rather the whole MTP / OSX conversation, or lack thereof. It pretty much drove me crazy trying to use USB to foster communication between my old M7 and Mac Mini. Its actually the reason that device is still rooted. Tried to unroot it to update it to Lollipop - ended up being a real PITA so I conceded.

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you using a Samsung Galaxy S6?

Yes. When you start Smart Switch, is your info window expanded so that you can see the little folder icon? If not, click the little down arrow next to "SAMSUNG-SM-XXXXX

View attachment 173390

Click on the folder icon to open the file manager (MTPB Browser).

View attachment 173388

Navigate to the folder...for folder actions, right click.

View attachment 173389

Then just drag files like normal. It is a little different; for example you need to open a folder before dragging files into it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

AirDroid should allow you to 2-way transfer fine...just drag and drop

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Its Apple's fault I think. They make their computers much easier to use with iPhones than with other products that are not Apple so they can force users to be on the same ecosystem. They do this with a lot of their products, pretty stupid imo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary