the stock messenger app

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to change the color of the stock messaging app? I hate that ugly orange

Posted via the Android Central App

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Change the theme and it will change. I'm hoping some decent themes come out soon. Looking at the theme store, Samsung must believe their target customer is tween age girls or small children.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Change the theme and it will change. I'm hoping some decent themes come out soon. Looking at the theme store, Samsung must believe their target customer is tween age girls or small children.

LOL I agree. There are some ugly themes in there. I am just hoping they put a stock lollipop theme in there. I guess it's back to google messenger for me. I really like that quick reply the stock samsung messaging app has though

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I haven't seen one theme yet that's worth creating a Samsung account lol. I won't do any of the Avengers ones because A. They really don't look that great to me and B. I don't want to advertise for anyone (this is in regards to that wording on the lock screen that says only in theaters)

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
LOL I agree. There are some ugly themes in there. I am just hoping they put a stock lollipop theme in there. I guess it's back to google messenger for me. I really like that quick reply the stock samsung messaging app has though

I went back to Samsung stock text app ever since I missed MMS messages several days in a row while using Hangouts. I had no problems with Hangouts on my previous phone, but it really sucks on my S6. Won't receive pics or videos sent via mms for some reason, but it works just fine with stock text app.

I agree though it needs much more customization, I also hate the color and bubble schemes, but love the quick pop up.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I went back to Samsung stock text app ever since I missed MMS messages several days in a row while using Hangouts. I had no problems with Hangouts on my previous phone, but it really sucks on my S6. Won't receive pics or videos sent via mms for some reason, but it works just fine with stock text app.

I agree though it needs much more customization, I also hate the color and bubble schemes, but love the quick pop up.

Did you try Textra? It simply works great and very customizable.

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I haven't seen one theme yet that's worth creating a Samsung account lol. I won't do any of the Avengers ones because A. They really don't look that great to me and B. I don't want to advertise for anyone (this is in regards to that wording on the lock screen that says only in theaters)

Well I chose one of the Avengers themes and then changed the locl screen and home screen to one of my pics, so I don't get the advertisement on lockscreen and get the icons and other stuff from the theme.

Thinking of trying urban theme and using my own pics on them.

kristegm

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I think this is solely on Samsung /Nexus phones(?)Bc I have had android since the MotoX1 was first released and now I have the Motox2 and the native messaging app is great- integrates w/ all other 3rd party apps I installed, and while you can't change the color scheme, the dark gray, white is simple & good looking so I never thought it needed changing. If Motorola made us have orange & teal SMS messaging as the native app though I would be top of the list complaints! I have lollipop OS so it isn't a sole function of the OS. The only explanation is that motorola phones were the only ones with this neutral color scheme, or that Samsung has installed some odd proprietary messenger as its native/default app. Based on complaints and comments on this and other android sites, I have to assume its a Samsung issue unfortunately. Hopefully they listen to their customers and change to a more neutral "theme" or offer free themes that have no ads etc. I can't imagine having to watch ads every time I texted someone on my phones native messenger :/

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I am currently using the google text messaging app on my S6 and I like it so far, different colors for the contacts. I hated the ugly orange on the stock messaging app. I have yet to find a theme I like alot, am using one from Nova which is decent.