M8 to S6, anyone?

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone go from a year old M8 to the new S6? I am with ATT, on the 12 month Next Plan and have the year old M8 and it's gotten abyslly slow of late. I've removed almost ALL of my widgets, lots of apps and it's like pulling teeth still.

I'm wondering since the S6 has 3GB ram and the M8 has just two how much faster it is, without having to sacrifice the phone's functionality.

I'd probably rather have the next Note device but not sure I wanna wait that long.

Thanks

kdh0324

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I moved from M8 to the S6. First off, both are great phones and both have their faults. The camera and smoothness of the S6 is awesome. Also prefer the way it feels in my hand. With the M8, I do miss sence 6 and the double tap. Also with the speaker on the S6 was closer to boom sound. Ultimately for me, the camera is what out the S6 over the edge. But Iove that I still have my M8 as a backup. If you have any specific questions between the two, let me know.

Posted via the Android Central App

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Anyone go from a year old M8 to the new S6? I am with ATT, on the 12 month Next Plan and have the year old M8 and it's gotten abyslly slow of late. I've removed almost ALL of my widgets, lots of apps and it's like pulling teeth still.

I'm wondering since the S6 has 3GB ram and the M8 has just two how much faster it is, without having to sacrifice the phone's functionality.

I'd probably rather have the next Note device but not sure I wanna wait that long.

Thanks

I came from the HTC M8 (Android L) to the S6 Edge. The Edge is substantially faster than my HTC M8, which I too, stripped things down. Surprisingly I'm liking Touchwiz a bit more than sense too. I'm finding it easier to do simple tasks with TouchWiz. Battery life is on par with the M8 too. Oh and finally the camera is also far superior on the Galaxy.

As for BoomSound speakers, I don't miss it that much probably because I'm often using earphones.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I moved from M8 to the S6. First off, both are great phones and both have their faults. The camera and smoothness of the S6 is awesome. Also prefer the way it feels in my hand. With the M8, I do miss sence 6 and the double tap. Also with the speaker on the S6 was closer to boom sound. Ultimately for me, the camera is what out the S6 over the edge. But Iove that I still have my M8 as a backup. If you have any specific questions between the two, let me know.

Thanks kdh0324 for the reply,

I use various Launchers so losing Sense wouldn't be a dealbreaker. The doubletap is nice though. And yes, the camera on the M8 is embarrassingly awful. I bought a second device (iPhone 6 Plus)(Yes I'm a Uber phone geek) partly because the camera was so bad.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I came from the HTC M8 (Android L) to the S6 Edge. The Edge is substantially faster than my HTC M8, which I too, stripped things down. Surprisingly I'm liking Touchwiz a bit more than sense too. I'm finding it easier to do simple tasks with TouchWiz. Battery life is on par with the M8 too. Oh and finally the camera is also far superior on the Galaxy.

As for BoomSound speakers, I don't miss it that much probably because I'm often using earphones.

Yeah almost always use bluetooth speakers if I'm not using headphones.

My concern is, how slow will the S6 will be once I add the widgets I want and install the apps again that I miss. #firstworldproblems :)

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Yeah almost always use bluetooth speakers if I'm not using headphones.

My concern is, how slow will the S6 will be once I add the widgets I want and install the apps again that I miss. #firstworldproblems :)

I mean I'm already using more widgets and apps than my M8 and I haven't even had the slightest hint of lag. It's very fluid like the iPhone which I'm loving. Hoping it stays this way 6 months down the road. :)

kdh0324

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I have loaded everything I typically have on my phone app wise, my music, pictures and using a few widgets. Haven't noticed any lag at all. Battery isn't the best (not as bad as some make it out to be), but the S6 is a work horse.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Went from M8 to S6. The M8 was a nice phone but the S6 is far superior. The camera on the S6 is in an entirely different league. Thought I would miss the speakers on the M8 more than I do but the speaker on the S6 is adequate and I mostly play music via Bluetooth in my car.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
. If you have any specific questions between the two, let me know.

I did think of something.

One of the biggest personal disappointments, to me anyway between iOS and the Android devices I've used is the lack of true full screen cover art on one's lock screen. I've searched and searched to no avail with my M8 and have never been able to find anything. From what I understand it's a limitation of the Sense UI. Are you able to advise if the S6 has any way of offering the full screen cover art on the lock screen, the way iOS does?

Thanks

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you're referring to the M8, that's not an option, that is, lock screen cover art. Below is what is ideal and what I would like to see something like on an Android.

IMG_0797.jpg

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I to went from M8 to S6 and have to say the S6 feels amazing in my hand, the screen is also amazing so clear and pricise espically with black colors. The camera is the best I have ever seen on a smart phone. Only thing I miss on M8 is Sense I think the Sense software is cleaner and sharper but I am getting use to Touchwiz. Only thing thats annoying me with S6 is when I use it with one hand I am always accidentally pressing the back and applications buttons.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Very Very soon I will jump from M8 (and years of HTC) to S6, BTW you can use SENSE 7 launcher ON S6 now,so you won't miss anything :)
Search XDA for this port

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Well i'll hop in with everyone else. I also switched from the M8 to the S6 and man am i happy. The camera alone was enough for me. I had been using my wife's iPhone 5S for the past year because of how bad my M8 camera was. The smoothness of the S6 is much better. Now i did happen to get the Lollipop update to my M8 a day or 2 before i switched them out and that helped with the speed some. However it was still nothing compared to my S6. Plus i'm finally rid of that damn rounded back on the M8. I like my phone sitting flat on surfaces.

Darwalk

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
How does the S6 sit flat with the camera bump?

I currently use the M8, and the wife went from the S4 to the S6 a couple weeks ago. Design wise the phone is beautiful. Camera is definitely better. I think I am going to hold out to see the G4 in person before making any decisions.