Gear VR for S6/S6 Edge pre order started today

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Well... Pre orders started today with a release date of may 8th and it's $249.99 😨

**updated price - now $199.99

Any thoughts?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Until there are some compelling VR apps, spending $249 for glorified tech demos is a huge non-starter.

So is it not worth it? Because the oculus rift is $350 so $250 didn't sound that bad and I believe Gear VR can do more because it is with Samsung and oculus combined so you get more features/apps. I bought (pre-ordered) the Gear VR yesterday already I was just seeing what other people's thoughts were.

Last edited:

1dtb

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone viewed the S6 Gear VR, I called Best Buy near me and they did not have it. I wonder what it costs to buy the cameras and produce a minute of content. I bet a lot.

But can you imagine a production of a concert or the Superbowl to buy or stream live. To be there virtually having the best seat.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone viewed the S6 Gear VR, I called Best Buy near me and they did not have it. I wonder what it costs to buy the cameras and produce a minute of content. I bet a lot.

But can you imagine a production of a concert or the Superbowl to buy or stream live. To be there virtually having the best seat.

I've never seen one in person yet either. Note 4 or S6 version isn't available to demo near me :/

1dtb

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have seen the Note 4 version, it is somewhat grainy. It is not great video quality IMO. But it was cool, they just need a better quality viewing experience. They hint at the S6 as being better viewing, meaning the same pixels in a smaller space so this could help.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It's still grainy looking, even with the 577ppi. It's probably better than FHD, but because you're magnifying a small part of the screen for each eye, you'd need some insanely high ppi to display a sharp VR picture.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It's still grainy looking, even with the 577ppi. It's probably better than FHD, but because you're magnifying a small part of the screen for each eye, you'd need some insanely high ppi to display a sharp VR picture.

You've seen the s6 version in person and put it on?

Colonel_Novak

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I have seen the Note 4 version, it is somewhat grainy. It is not great video quality IMO. But it was cool, they just need a better quality viewing experience. They hint at the S6 as being better viewing, meaning the same pixels in a smaller space so this could help.

This sounds very good. I'm looking forward to this as I'm very interested in VR. It's just reducing to almost null or getting rid of that screen-door-effect and these products will be true consumer quality level. The software base, well that's another matter, but with time all those demos will grow to full games and full apps and so on.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
so i'm not really understanding this:

my friend bought a gear vr for his Note 4, and he used it for maybe one week, he showed it to many friends, and then, never ever touched it again. he told me it hasn't been touched in forever now.

he said there's just no media, no software for it. it's like buying a dvd player with one single dvd available, and that dvd ONLY has 10 previews of movies! not even whole movies.

so, i'm wondering if i should get the gear vr for my S6 Edge this friday. it's available this friday, but why would i buy it if there really isn't any software or media to play on it? it might be "cool" for a few days, then without any media to play on it, or to view on it, it is just a piece of hardware with zero media!

that's why i'm not really understanding why i or anyone else would really buy it. can't decide.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Just got my tracking number... It will be here on Monday by the end of the day! ������

Yeah...me too...even though I ponied up for the express shipping option that stated I would have it on Friday. Oh well. I called this morning and thay at least credited me back the extra I paid for the express shipping.

Last edited:

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the day the pre-orders became available. I was supposed to have it on the 8th. It still has not even shipped even though BB had no trouble charging my CC on the 8th.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude