Galaxy S6 or Iphone 6+ or LG G4

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I currently have an Iphone 6+ and love it, but I want to go Android and the 6S looks great, but I heard the battery stinks.... The LG G4 also looks amazing with the leather back but I don't know if it is coming to Verizon.

Does anyone already have the S6 ? and how is the battery? That is huge for me..... Also have any of you made the switch from IOS recently and how do you like Android so far?

Would love to hear you thoughts

Thanks

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I currently have an Iphone 6+ and love it, but I want to go Android and the 6S looks great, but I heard the battery stinks.... The LG G4 also looks amazing with the leather back but I don't know if it is coming to Verizon.

Does anyone already have the S6 ? and how is the battery? That is huge for me..... Also have any of you made the switch from IOS recently and how do you like Android so far?

Thanks

In all honesty, the battery is a roll of the dice on the S6. When the phone operates as it should (no Cell standby drain, no Google Play Services drain, no Android OS drain), the battery will last you all day. Some in here that haven't been burdened with these issues and made some sensible tweeks, are getting 15-20 hours of standby and a solid 4-5 hours (or more) of Screen on Time (SoT) which is just stellar for a phone as slim and light as the S6 is.

Others who have these issues are closer to 10-12 hours of battery and 2 (maybe 3) hours of SoT. There is no rhyme or reason to why it affects some but not others. Only good news is that it is the fastest charging phone I've ever seen - up to 1.5% per minute with the Fast Charge!!!!

That said, if you get a good one, the phone is stellar. One of the best phones ever built. Good thing is you have 14 days to try it out and return it (or exchange it) if you get one with an issue. I say go for it!!!!

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
In all honesty, the battery is a roll of the dice on the S6. When the phone operates as it should (no Cell standby drain, no Google Play Services drain, no Android OS drain), the battery will last you all day. Some in here that haven't been burdened with these issues and made some sensible tweeks, are getting 15-20 hours of standby and a solid 4-5 hours (or more) of Screen on Time (SoT) which is just stellar for a phone as slim and light as the S6 is.

Others who have these issues are closer to 10-12 hours of battery and 2 (maybe 3) hours of SoT. There is no rhyme or reason to why it affects some but not others. Only good news is that it is the fastest charging phone I've ever seen - up to 1.5% per minute with the Fast Charge!!!!

That said, if you get a good one, the phone is stellar. One of the best phones ever built. Good thing is you have 14 days to try it out and return it (or exchange it) if you get one with an issue. I say go for it!!!!

Do you have an opinion on the LGG4 ? I know it is not out yet, but have you heard anything about it??

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Do you have an opinion on the LGG4 ? I know it is not out yet, but have you heard anything about it??

From what I've read it looks stellar (love that leather back!) but definitely not enough info. yet to make a real judgment. It will be out shortly (announcement on April 28 and release April 29). My initial thoughts are that the S6 will have a far superior screen (it's the best I've ever laid eyes on) and the LG is larger which is a negative to me. The S6 is truly the perfect size phone.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I made the switch from iPhone to s6.

Initial thoughts:

Battery has been pretty terrible. I jumped from the iphone 5 while my wife has the iPhone 6. In contrast, my s6 doesn't last nearly as long as either of them. This is the first time where I basically have to constantly monitor the battery life and it's been kind of annoying. This is after tweaks (power saving mode every time I'm out with it, disabling some services, removing widgets, keeping screen brightness down, etc).

Apps are still a little disappointing on the android side. For example, even major apps like Instagram are a poor comparison vs iOS version.

Apps still come out for iOS first. Is Periscope out yet for android? Another silly but valid example is I keep seeing friends post those weird 3d avatar videos where you can imprint your face in a bunch of bizarre and hilarious situations. It's been blowing up online everywhere. Available for android? Nope.

Camera overall has been great except auto mode in low light. Samsung thinks just blowing up the brightness makes for a good low light shot. It's kind of terrible and only usable in pro mode.

Also confused as to why this phone even has 3gb of ram when it seemingly doesn't add anything to the phone. I lost a huge reply I was typing in tapatalk because I wrongly assumed I could switch to another app to do something first and then jump back here. Instead when I return to tapatalk app, it basically just refreshed the page and I lost everything I was typing. Annoying.

The same happens when you open chrome and have some tabs open. Then you switch to some other apps and multitask then go back to chrome. The tabs will refresh on you! What is this 3gb of ram even doing? I thought android was supposed to have real multitasking compared to IOS?

Physically the front of the phone is boring and you could hardly tell the difference between it and an s5. The back is nice though. Although my black s6 is more of a really dark blue for some reason.

Overall the phone seems OK but may switch back to iOS depending on what apple brings out in September. If the rumoured near-slr quality dual lens makes it into the iphone 6s/7 then I'm definitely going back.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I made the switch from iPhone to s6.

Initial thoughts:

Battery has been pretty terrible. I jumped from the iphone 5 while my wife has the iPhone 6. In contrast, my s6 doesn't last nearly as long as either of them. This is the first time where I basically have to constantly monitor the battery life and it's been kind of annoying. This is after tweaks (power saving mode every time I'm out with it, disabling some services, removing widgets, keeping screen brightness down, etc).

Apps are still a little disappointing on the android side. For example, even major apps like Instagram are a poor comparison vs iOS version.

Apps still come out for iOS first. Is Periscope out yet for android? Another silly but valid example is I keep seeing friends post those weird 3d avatar videos where you can imprint your face in a bunch of bizarre and hilarious situations. It's been blowing up online everywhere. Available for android? Nope.

Camera overall has been great except auto mode in low light. Samsung thinks just blowing up the brightness makes for a good low light shot. It's kind of terrible and only usable in pro mode.

Also confused as to why this phone even has 3gb of ram when it seemingly doesn't add anything to the phone. I lost a huge reply I was typing in tapatalk because I wrongly assumed I could switch to another app to do something first and then jump back here. Instead when I return to tapatalk app, it basically just refreshed the page and I lost everything I was typing. Annoying.

The same happens when you open chrome and have some tabs open. Then you switch to some other apps and multitask then go back to chrome. The tabs will refresh on you! What is this 3gb of ram even doing? I thought android was supposed to have real multitasking compared to IOS?

Physically the front of the phone is boring and you could hardly tell the difference between it and an s5. The back is nice though. Although my black s6 is more of a really dark blue for some reason.

Overall the phone seems OK but may switch back to iOS depending on what apple brings out in September. If the rumoured near-slr quality dual lens makes it into the iphone 6s/7 then I'm definitely going back.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

I have an iPhone 6 as well and couldn't stand the fact that the only thing that differentiates one iphone from the next is the color of your case.

On the software side, what makes the apps better is that they all look and behave the same. That's apples our way or the highway mentality. Most apps for iPhone are on android or soon will be.

Besides, i hate doing multiple stepps to do one thing on ios. Ridiculous.

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Thanks

I prefer android to iPhone, though I do have a macbook and iPad, so I like to think I'm not biased.

Some people have reported (and proven via screen shot) very good battery life, others the opposite. The real issue is since Android has so many moving parts, and there are so many different phones with different skins running it, more times than not there are going to be issues when a new phone drops.

In the case of the S6, the battery does seem to be an issue for some. Also, with fast and wireless charge, since it's a smaller battery it's not going to perform well down the road.

If you "love" your 6+ I don't know why you'd switch to the S6 unless, like many, you're just tired of iPhone and want something different that you can customize to your liking.

The G4 looks great on paper, but as we know, specs rarely tell the whole story. If they did I'd preorder phones, but many times the sum is greater than the parts so I like to wait a bit. The rumor on it is a 3000-3500 mAh removable battery, great camera, much improved 5.5 inch display, SD slot, etc.

My advice, wait for the G4, of it blows you away, go for it. Me personally, I hear so many Note owners praise their device, people here that I like and trust, so I'm most likely gonna give the Note 5 a try (unless they seel a smaller battery) to replace my S4.

My Nexus 4 will most likely be replaced by the G4 or Nexus 2015, unless the Moto X 3rd Gen improves their battery and camera significantly.

Unless the iPhone allowed 3rd party launchers and customization, I wouldn't consider one cause I like things the way I like em. My son, mom, and grandma shouldn't all have the same phone that's only differentiation is their wallpaper. That's just me though, they love it and I'm happy for them and grateful for the choice.

Don't forget, you get 14 days to return phones so you can always check em out before making a decision. BTW I'm on VZ and get great service, still love my S4, anxious to replace the Nexus 4 though, but only cause it has a small crack.

Good luck!

meguy67

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
He says the S6 has better battery than the iPhone 6+ (6:32). He's as high as a kite. The 6+ has one of the best batteries around

I have an iPhone 6+ and the GS6 battery is not as good. But my GS6 battery is better than iPhone 5 and 6 battery in my observations.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
He says the S6 has better battery than the iPhone 6+ (6:32). He's as high as a kite. The 6+ has one of the best batteries around

I think that the reason he says that the battery life is better on the S6, is not because the 6+ has a bad battery or life span, it's just that he wasn't plagued with issues that killed his S6 like with some here and in Andrew's review. As such, like myself, he must have gotten great battery life from the S6 and wasn't scared to talk about it. I know that it must look like everyone has bad battery life with the S6, but the reality is that it is a tiny fraction of the millions of phones already sold.

Between lollipop and being a new phone, yes the S6 has some bugs. Thankfully I'm not experiencing that much at all. Not that the 6+ is perfect and is bug free, but for a phablet you won't be disappointed with the battery.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6+ and the GS6 battery is not as good. But my GS6 battery is better than iPhone 5 and 6 battery in my observations.

Yeah, I just did some testing with my friends ip6 last night and my S6 did better but I don't think even my S6 will beat the 6+ with my testing methods or use.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I just did some testing with my friends ip6 last night and my S6 did better but I don't think even my S6 will beat the 6+ with my testing methods or use.

The tests these sites run are silly...they show what happens if you use your phone non-stop in a video loop or hitting web pages repeatedly or something similar and they run them until the battery burns out. Even with that, I agree with you that there's zero chance a well functioning S6 can beat a 6 Plus so his comments on that were perplexing in what was otherwise a pretty good review.

In 'real life', your phone's battery is much more dependent on Standby drain than SoT since Standby will be the predominant state of the phone. In that department, there is nothing that can even approach the 6 Plus...I own the S6, the iPhone 6 Plus and the Lumia 1520 and where the iPhone just smokes everybody else is that it manages Standby drain so efficiently so it makes for a phone that can easily last multiple days. The Lumia is pretty remarkable too, though a small step down.

That said, I am loving so many things about my S6 and still think the OP should go for it - while the 6 Plus manages its battery far better, the S6 is SO MUCH more fun than an iPhone! Just wish Lollipop was better at managing the drain issues.

meguy67

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
The tests these sites run are silly...they show what happens if you use your phone non-stop in a video loop or hitting web pages repeatedly or something similar and they run them until the battery burns out. Even with that, I agree with you that there's zero chance a well functioning S6 can beat a 6 Plus so his comments on that were perplexing in what was otherwise a pretty good review.

In 'real life', your phone's battery is much more dependent on Standby drain than SoT since Standby will be the predominant state of the phone. In that department, there is nothing that can even approach the 6 Plus...I own the S6, the iPhone 6 Plus and the Lumia 1520 and where the iPhone just smokes everybody else is that it manages Standby drain so efficiently so it makes for a phone that can easily last multiple days. The Lumia is pretty remarkable too, though a small step down.

That said, I am loving so many things about my S6 and still think the OP should go for it - while the 6 Plus manages its battery far better, the S6 is SO MUCH more fun than an iPhone! Just wish Lollipop was better at managing the drain issues.

I think when the S6 is updated over time, the battery life will improve some.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

While I agree in principal with everything you said, try to understand what I'm about to say...

Even though you have 3 phones to test, in today's reality anyone can get a phone that just doesn't work for them no matter what. A good example is for Andrew's S6 there is no way he can get more than 3.5 hours of SoT. Yet on a nexus 6 he might not be plagued with issues from lollipop. It happens regardless of battery size. It's just like the S5 in that for most people here in the US, once in lollipop only a handful of people experienced worse battery life.

But look at the S6 battery life in both eastern and western Europe. Without LTE lollipop issues (because they are mostly on HSPA+) and no carrier garbage added and removed, they have 6 to 7 hours of SoT and 18+ hours of standby.
For most in the states, if the stars are aligned just right and you experience too many lollipop issues, you won't match this. But that is a carrier issue combined with flaws with lollipop.... Not the phone.

Me, my standby is not bad at all and my SoT is close to 6 hours now with everything turned on full blast...even wifi scanning on. And that is with gaming too. But hand me a nexus 6 and I might not be able to match my numbers of the S6.... It's why I say all the time, just use what works best for you right now because every phone on lollipop can be drastically different for each of us depending on too many factors including any lollipop issues each person experiences.

tldr: his 6+ just might not have worked that great for him and thus got poor battery life due to carrier or other issues and is not in any way lying about his results. (even if you and I agree that the S6 should be worse than the 6+ in battery life)

Last edited:

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Any iOS device is off the list for me. Trying to gain some of the same functionality I get on Android requires jailbreak.

Neither the 6+ nor the G4 passes the size test for me. Regardless of form factor, a 5.5" screen is not small enough for one handed use.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Both of them made perfect sense to me! ;) Wish we didn't have carrier changes and bloat here in the U.S. The "pure" S6 experience would clearer be WAY better!!!

Well see, that all depends also.

I'm a big advocate for buying unlocked phones if you're on AT&T, and even T-Mobile too in most cases. But such phones won't come standard with refined firmware for the carriers and won't have VoLTE/HD Voice (and in T-Mobile case, won't have wifi calling). Also only HTC and Motorola do this at this time.

Also, remember that many of the issues with cell standby are due to LTE and wifi bands if I'm not mistaken, something that many in Europe will never have to deal with for a number of reasons.