Fingerprint Scanner issues

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Ive been having issues accessing my phone via the fingerprint scanner. I have entered my finger multiple times only to have ever it work for a while then start to fail at scanning. Most of the time it's just not working but other times it comes up with an error message. I have a tempered glass screen protector on it have set it up with it on so I don't think it could be the issue due the working the progressive failure. Any ideas? Thank you

Posted via the Android Central App

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
The protector stops just above the home button. But it's been happening since before I put on the protector

dmarcus48

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Rather than removing your screen protector, try going thru the finger print process again. You can delete the prints and rescan.

mclark1242

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Ive been having issues accessing my phone via the fingerprint scanner. I have entered my finger multiple times only to have ever it work for a while then start to fail at scanning. Most of the time it's just not working but other times it comes up with an error message. I have a tempered glass screen protector on it have set it up with it on so I don't think it could be the issue due the working the progressive failure. Any ideas? Thank you

Are you using a task manager like Clean Sweep? Also, when you scan your finger is it side ways? For example when I scan my thumb when the phone is in my hand my thumb is more "sideways", this may cause you an issue and when you scan your finger it should be scanned in the orientation as you want it.

If you are using an app manager or task manager they tend to kill the scanner software.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Are you using a task manager like Clean Sweep? Also, when you scan your finger is it side ways? For example when I scan my thumb when the phone is in my hand my thumb is more "sideways", this may cause you an issue and when you scan your finger it should be scanned in the orientation as you want it.

If you are using an app manager or task manager they tend to kill the scanner software.

I just use the multi-task button to close my apps. I do use avg cleaner for cache and history cleaning.
I've setup my finger sideways for easier one-handed access.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I see comments about the orientation of your finger on the scanner ... but I have not had issues with how I place my finger on the scanner, as long as I put the relevant part of my finger on the scanner, and make sure I cover as much of the scanner button as possible. The security software on these phones is savvy enough to know to rotate the scanned image into place to match the recorded fingerprint image.

Try it yourself and you'll see.

DaHui623

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I see comments about the orientation of your finger on the scanner ... but I have not had issues with how I place my finger on the scanner, as long as I put the relevant part of my finger on the scanner, and make sure I cover as much of the scanner button as possible. The security software on these phones is savvy enough to know to rotate the scanned image into place to match the recorded fingerprint image.

Try it yourself and you'll see.

Same here. I haven't had any problems with how i hold my finger. I sometimes get an error because i lift my thumb off too quickly, but that's about it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Rather than removing your screen protector, try going thru the finger print process again. You can delete the prints and rescan.

This. I had to calibrate my finger print multiple times before it starting working without giving errors so often. Also, I've noticed over time it's become faster and more accurate (used to be 80-85%, now around 97-99%). Also, remember when you calibrate your finger move it around by resting your finger at different angles, this also helped with accuracy.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
It's all in how you set up the scanner. Sometimes I just want to see the time on my S6 so I hit the home button but have to pull my finger away pretty fast or the phone will unlock.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Same here. I haven't had any problems with how i hold my finger. I sometimes get an error because i lift my thumb off too quickly, but that's about it.

Same. This use the first time I've used fingerprint security on a phone and it's incredibly good and fast!

I had heard from some of my iPhone using friends how great there's is, but honestly it didn't mean much to me. Now I can say it's a great way to secure your phone.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with yours.

Last edited:

mclark1242

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I also never had issues with orientation, I only recommended that due to the difficulties he was having. I agree though, mine works awesome, I have an Ipad air 2 and I think the S6 and Ipad work the same.

Nick Kozloski

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Try using the power button on the side to check the time.
Also, I used my index finger to scan. I don't want to unlock the phone inadvertently when I pull it out of my pocket.

Erick Joseph

May 10, 2015
Visit site

When I first got my phone I didn't have these problems and then I went back and registered my fingers for a second time and the problems started. The first time I registered my fingers I did them sideways and the second time I didn't them vertically, and that's when the error messages started becuz when I go to unlock my phone my thumbs are sideways. Just register sideways and that should help.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
When I first got my phone I didn't have these problems and then I went back and registered my fingers for a second time and the problems started. The first time I registered my fingers I did them sideways and the second time I didn't them vertically, and that's when the error messages started becuz when I go to unlock my phone my thumbs are sideways. Just register sideways and that should help.

When you set up a print you should do it from both directions.

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi! I've had the same problem twice with my s6: go to unlock it with finger, displays message saying the finger scanner is not working, and then I'm locked out of the phone--it doesn't give me enough time to put in my password--screen just goes blank. The first time, I had to wipe my phone and start over; the second time, I was able to quickly type in my Android (or was it Samsung) password, and that worked--I've disabled this feature out of fear and have gone to a pin lock instead!

Dmain123

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I wasnt to optimistic with this function as lowish end biometric finger print scanners never seem to work consistently. Will definitely keep an eye on this thread.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It works best for me with my case off. If you have a case on it, try it without it. It's hard to get the scanner to read your print if the case you have has a raised lip at the bottom where the home button is. Give it a shot.

Galaxy S6 Gang

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007