Well now that Textra is charging I'm going back stock/Hangouts

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The developer got greedy. He/she whoever already charges money to remove ads from ChompSMS. Now that Textra is just as popular the developer decided to milk more money. Why not just combine both apps now that they have annoying ads in the free version.

You count someone wanting to be paid for hours of coding, fixing bugs, and adding new features as "greedy"? For only asking $0.99? You and I definitely differ on this.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
You count someone wanting to be paid for hours of coding, fixing bugs, and adding new features as "greedy"? For only asking $0.99? You and I definitely differ on this.
Okay maybe if a developer wants to charge to add some new advanced features I might have paid and my parents would have still used the free version like with Nova Launcher no ads in the free version I paid for Prime but my parents use the free versions fine but now to ruin the free version with ads on a texting app that not only are very distracting, animate and are low res garbage, I can't use any app with ads but also it uses up your mobile data loading them every 15 seconds that is going to far and I won't support a dev that stoops down that low.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay maybe if a developer wants to charge to add some new advanced features I might have paid but to ruin the free version with ads that not only are very distracting, animate and are low res garbage, I can't use any app with ads but also it uses up your mobile data loading them every 15 seconds that is going to far and I won't support a dev that stoops down that low.

I disagree. He has added tons of new features for free -- made an awesome app for free -- and has already put in tons of work for free. So having to do something extra just to get paid for working? I say no. Especially since it is $0.99 and not something like $5-10.

Edit - And I get the mobile data thing but if you have any reasonable plan you're fine. I guarantee these ads use little to nothing to load. The joy of Android though is if you really hate it .. find another app. Plenty to choose from but I would rather stay with the one I like .. and pay him $1 for an awesome, updated, and properly working app any day than jump from free to free just to save $1.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. He has added tons of new features for free -- made an awesome app for free -- and has already put in tons of work for free. So having to do something extra just to get paid for working? I say no. Especially since it is $0.99 and not something like $5-10.
Okay as I said I am fine with maybe adding more advanced features for a $1 like with Nova Launcher I use Prime my parents use the free version because it is fine with features they need and have no ads but to ruin the free version of Textra with low res distracting ads that use up mobile data I won't support a developer that stoops that low. I at least have alternatives.

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I had been using Textra the past 2-3 years ish. I don't mind them charging for an ad-less version, as I think their developers are talented and have created a great app I have enjoyed using. I would gladly pay for Textra Pro. However, I'm a big fan of Samsung's stock text messaging. The only thing I will miss from Textra is the ability to mute conversation threads.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
You can make the text bigger for 1 and also can have separate notification sounds and blinking light colors for different contacts. So for the pain in the *** people that have to send a text every 4 minutes as soon as I put my phone down I put them on mute and add a color so I know it's them lol

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
What did you hate about 'messenger' ?

dreaming of electric sheep

Everything about it offends me lol. It looks like a circus threw up all over it with those godawful colors. No location/maps button (A fail of Textra to btw). The text box should extend all the way across the screen, it doesn't. Too much waited space.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It's funny, I just kinda started liking Textra then today I got a text from them saying they are going to start charging. I deleted within 2 seconds of receiving that text.

I hope I don't start having those MMS problems again where I can't receive them.

You received a message giving you the option to go premium or remain with the free app. Apparently you didn't actually read the message. You saw the word "premium", panicked and you read no further.
Textra is arguably the overall best messaging app available at this time.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Textra is hands down the best messaging app for android. If you can't afford $1.00 to support a great app then I feel sorry for you. This post is ridiculous.

Sere81

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I paid my $.99. don't know why anyone would be complaining (lol poor) considering this is the best text app I've used.

morphish

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I uninstalled Textra over this change.

It's not because I'm cheap. I don't mind paying for apps. It's not because I don't like the app - generally I think it's pretty good. Here's my issue: I don't like the business practice of advertising an app as simple and free, then making it more and more complicated and then nagging the user for money to continue to support development.

People on this thread have been confusing two issues - the impact of spending $1 (which, let's face it - is nothing), and supporting a business model that sees the users as ATMs. Imagine if you allowed this kind of business practice with other things in your life. You probably use a free browser right now. What if tomorrow it starting showing extra ads unless you paid $1. You'd switch instantly. What if your car suddenly started showing ads on its satellite navigation system unless you paid $1. You'd sue the manufacturer. What if the gas station pump wouldn't start unless you watched an ad first or paid an extra $1 - you'd go somewhere else.

It's entirely different from adding a new feature and charging for it. This is taking an existing feature (heavily promoted - FREE NO ADS!!!) and _TAKING IT AWAY_ unless you pay up. The free market will ultimately decide this. People who don't mind being charged extra for stuff they already have won't see a problem with it. But for me, it's behavior I won't support. The dollar means nothing to me. But I didn't install a subscription SMS app. I installed a free, no ads app. I will either buy a no ads app that is ADVERTISED as a paid no ads app, or I will switch to a free no ads app. But an app that is advertised as free, promoted as free, that is something I will not pay for.

All the dev would need to do is stop development on Textra and make another, paid Textra Pro that received all the updates. Heck make it use in-app currency for each SMS you send and replenish that currency through in-app purchases, social media endorsements, or ad views. Whatever the dev thinks will work, go for it.

Just be honest. And remember, you have competitors.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci