Well now that Textra is charging I'm going back stock/Hangouts

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
It's funny, I just kinda started liking Textra then today I got a text from them saying they are going to start charging. I deleted within 2 seconds of receiving that text.

I hope I don't start having those MMS problems again where I can't receive them.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like they're just doing the pro thing as others have done. I bought ChompSMS (made by the Textra crew) when I came to Android years ago. Worth supporting the dev for a good app.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I use Textra but about 2014 began with Evolve SMS. There are a couple of premium in apps, maybe $5.00. For me the best SMS app. Just check out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It's funny, I just kinda started liking Textra then today I got a text from them saying they are going to start charging. I deleted within 2 seconds of receiving that text.

I hope I don't start having those MMS problems again where I can't receive them.

As far as I know and understood from the App's change log, they just added an in-app purchase option so you can upgrade to PRO within the app but it doesn't say that if won't be free, plus mine took the update first thing in the morning and is been working great as usual.

If in the future they decide to go only PRO I think it's one of the few outthere that I'm willing to pay for.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So this thread got me to look at Textra, and looks nice. So I have to ask, you won't spend $.99 one time to upgrade to the Pro version? This is why Android users are called out as cheap. You want a developer to devote resources, time and energy and yet do it all for free. I don't work for free, I wouldn't work for free so why should a good developer work for free. If you like it pay $.99 if you don't like it (sounds like you did) then don't. But to ditch an app over less than a $1 and I wonder how much you spend per day on everyday items that consumed rather than adding value.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Textra is by far the best SMS I've used...and I've tried a lot. I would spend the 99 cents to get the pro, for a developer that has created an all I have never really had am issue with. I feel that is an excellent price for an excellent app.

Posted via Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So this thread got me to look at Textra, and looks nice. So I have to ask, you won't spend $.99 one time to upgrade to the Pro version? This is why Android users are called out as cheap.

Good developers deserve support. I think $0.99 is a fair price to pay for an app like Textra. We want to encourage talented people to continue making and improving apps for Android.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Really?!? Charging for what? What does the premium version include?

They should make it free for those who had it for over 1 year

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
i sorta second that vote for evolve. even though its sorta laggy and buggy right now for me ever since i started using the edge. other apps are fine. ill look at textra

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok here's the thing, I'm not against devs getting paid. I'm against the way they are going about it here.

The app had always been free until now. The way they are building this is if you buy "pro" all it does is remove the ads they are about to introduce... That have never been there before.

Just feels like a bad move to me, even though the product is pretty good I'm not sure about supporting a developer that is doing something that feels like a bait and switch.

Monee_121

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
This isn't anything sneaky or wild. And it's actually nice they gave a heads up, instead of putting an update through play store without notifying users first of their intentions. It has been free for a long time and those of us who use it have benefitted. Developers work really hard and if you enjoy the app what's the harm in paying a very small amount? Also, you can choose not to pay but will experience ads. So where's the problem? If you don't want ads, pay the upcoming one time fee. If you don't mind ads, it stays free. And if you want a free app, use the stock messages or find an alternative. Nobody is holding anyone hostage. Would you work for free? Probably not. I wouldn't. I have no problem paying a reasonable fee for a service I use.

Posted via AC app from my Galaxy S6 Edge

lutin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok here's the thing, I'm not against devs getting paid. I'm against the way they are going about it here.

The app had always been free until now. The way they are building this is if you buy "pro" all it does is remove the ads they are about to introduce... That have never been there before.

Just feels like a bad move to me, even though the product is pretty good I'm not sure about supporting a developer that is doing something that feels like a bait and switch.

The dev has realised he can no longer develop for free. What would you have done if you were in his position?

We're talking about 99 cents here. 99 cents!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Okay but look at it this way ... It has been free .. but now maybe he wants to keep devoting time to make it work for other devices / have less bugs / even add new features but just doesn't have the time to do so unless he can make some money. It takes a lot to go through code and squash bugs.. I sure wouldn't do it.

As Raptor said if you really like it .. what is $1 to support that dev? He isn't asking for $1 a month.. it is a 1 time fee. Such as I paid about $5 for ChompSMS back in the day. Absolutely worth the years of use I have received from the app and also all the new features that have been added & fixed.

I would understand feeling it was a bad move if they had it out for free and then instantly said "Nope can't use it unless you pay me now" but they're not doing that at all.

iamdld

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I spend a dollar on icon packs that i use for a week and never look at again. I'll gladly pay a dollar for a text app I use multiple times a day to avoid ads. Hopefully they add some pro features down the line.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.... I am not going to disparage a developer for charging for his work. Yes, it was free before. But maybe the situation has changed... maybe this takes up more of his time and it just isn't all that feasible to just give away his time and effort. Because that is what it is.... time and effort, often significant. $1 for an app you use several times a day is too much? Thing about that for a minute... you most likely have more than that in your pocket in spare change.

It's one thing con'ing people by selling them a crappy app that doesn't do anything (or worse)... its another to charge a rather modest and reasonable fee for an app that you not only use often, but prefer over others. Give the dev some props and compensate him for his work.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
.99 is a no-brainer folks. Would it have made you feel better if they called it Textra Beta with the intention of turning it into an ad supported or paid app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I support the dev. If I find a free app to be useful, I always spring for the full one. If there isn't a full paid app, but the dev asks for a donation in the settings menu or as a separate donation "app" in Google Play Store, I do that.

Remember when incredibly horrible and lame apps were $2.99 on flip phones? Good times.;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Really?!? Charging for what? What does the premium version include?

They should make it free for those who had it for over 1 year

It costs the dev time and money to fix all those bugs and add new features. Why should he not be paid for his time put into the app in some form or fashion? Especially if it is costing him a good amount of time. I would rather pay someone $1 (one time mind you) so they keep making an app that I use a TON every day.