Verizon Galaxy S6 Owners - a couple of questions - honest answers please

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
1: Does you S6 jump from a 4G signal down to a 1X signal every time you make or receive a call without "Advanced Calling" activated?

2: When you open the Play Store is you data slow when loading the images? Like the wording is there but the images take a good while to load.

3: Does your phone receive instant Push Notifications from Gmail/Email and other programs when Not connected to WiFi ?

Please give me honest answers as I'm trying to decide if I should throw in the towel on the Verizon Galaxy S6. :'(

I'm on my second one and both have given me major problems. :(

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes to the first question. You need to have advanced calling activated to use 4G while on a call. My Verizon Moto X was the same way. It's stupid but that's the way Verizon is doing it now.

As for your other two questions, I can't say I've noticed that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is new at data calling. AT&T has always or at least for a very long time used on radio for both data and calling. In other words their calls went over the data radio. Verizon has now moved to this feature, but it only works on their LTE network where VoLTE is set up. What this means is that you have to have Advanced Calling activated in order for your call to go over the data radio. Otherwise, it will make the call over a separate radio across their 1X network. Also, be aware that some folks have posted that activating VoLTE increases drain on the battery. One last thing to consider. Unless the other party you are calling also has a VoLTE phone and has that feature activated you may not be able to realize the full benefit in terms of improved sound quality from your phone. Just try it with and without the feature being activated and see how your battery does and also what the difference in voice quality is.

As to #2 that's probably going to depend on where you are and the traffic on your towers, signal strength, etc.

On #3 gmail is a push email service and you can set up third party email to either be POP or push (IMAP). If your email is not being pushed out, make sure you have it set up correctly in email settings and also goto Accounts and make sure gmail and any other email accounts have sync turned on.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
1: Does you S6 jump from a 4G signal down to a 1X signal every time you make or receive a call without "Advanced Calling" activated?

2: When you open the Play Store is you data slow when loading the images? Like the wording is there but the images take a good while to load.

3: Does your phone receive instant Push Notifications from Gmail/Email and other programs when Not connected to WiFi ?

Please give me honest answers as I'm trying to decide if I should throw in the towel on the Verizon Galaxy S6. :'(

Go back and get a third one. Rinse and repeat until you get a device that you are happy with.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

1 - no because I'm on T-Mobile and they can do Voice and data without LTE. Your phone and Verizon phones will do this (drop to 1X on a call) from now on if you don't have VoLTE enabled (Advanced Calling). All new Verizon phones will do this.

2 - no

3 - yes

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
1) haven't noticed. I'm on Verizon so advanced calling is on.
2) no
3) yes

I'm wondering if you either have a defective phone, or an aberrant app that's effecting something systemically. Another possibility is that you are in a really bad data area.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

It's going to do number 1 unless advanced calling is on. That's Verizon not the phone. Verizon phones usually have 2 antennas. These don't. I think it's better like this.

Posted via the Android Central App

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Is the only benefit of Advanced Calling when you are talking to someone that also has Advanced calling activated on their phone?
Otherwise, what are the benefits of Advanced Calling? Same call quality as 1X if not talking to someone else that has advanced calling?

Is there anyway to loose the video camera icon on the dial pad screen after you activate advanced calling? That thing would drive me nuts.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
1. I have advanced calling turned on but I believe how you describe is the proper way of functioning without it activated. You can't call on 4g because you don't have advanced calling turned on.

2. My play store sometimes does some weird stuff where I'll open it and hit the search bar and start typing and then it will take my keyboard away and make me hit the search bar again

3. Yes

Galaxy S6

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is the only benefit of Advanced Calling when you are talking to someone that also has Advanced calling activated on their phone?
Otherwise, what are the benefits of Advanced Calling? Same call quality as 1X if not talking to someone else that has advanced calling?

Is there anyway to loose the video camera icon on the dial pad screen after you activate advanced calling? That thing would drive me nuts.

Pretty much same quality unless they're on Verizon. The advantage is you get voice and data always when on a call (as long as you're in an LTE area).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC