PC doesn't recognize S6

barberrider1

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I am trying to load some music from my PC (Windows 8.1), but the PC doesn't recognize it. I have developer options on and USB debugging enabled. I have also tried using the micro-USB that came with the phone. Thanks.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You can install Samsung Kies (google it, you should get an official Samsung website for your region).
I believe installing that will also install all of the necessary drivers, even if you don't use the software.

I'm not 100% certain this will work, but it's an easy thing to try. Kies is basically Samsung's PC syncing software, similar to iTunes...

barberrider1

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys. Still no luck. I used airdroid to transfer my files, but still not working via USB.

I've downloaded the drivers, restarted both devices, turned on debugging, used three usb cords, have the latest software update, and there is no option in the notification tray. It just says charging.

The PC doesn't recognize the phone, and the phone doesn't recognize the PC.

Oddly enough, a couple weeks ago it worked. But now, nothing. If anything has changed, I don't know what it is.

jonnysteady

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys. Still no luck. I used airdroid to transfer my files, but still not working via USB.

I've downloaded the drivers, restarted both devices, turned on debugging, used three usb cords, have the latest software update, and there is no option in the notification tray. It just says charging.

The PC doesn't recognize the phone, and the phone doesn't recognize the PC.

Oddly enough, a couple weeks ago it worked. But now, nothing. If anything has changed, I don't know what it is.

were you able to solve the problem yet? I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to edit some video i got clients waiting.

markwasley

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
The bottom line is that beyond Windows 7, depending on your brand of computer, your S6 might not be recognised by your computer. And please note - Samsung will NOT be able to help - they do NOT have updated drivers (I'm sick to death of people claiming that they do). 😠 If your S6 isn't recognised straight away by your computer then the necessary drivers have not been pre-loaded on your machine. You are then stuffed - there is no work-around for this problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

markwasley

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey Crashdamage - that site is a scam. Samsung have NOT released updated drivers in a long time. Don't bother about that stupid site - it will try to rip you off $30 for drivers that won't work. 😠

hemant#IM

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Well what error message do you get when trying to connect with the PC. I used to get usb device not recognised on my win 10 laptop. Tried many cables, different PC's, different ports but same error. When this happens generally some of the components on phone's motherboard get faulty and then it has to be changed. Only Samsung can fix it by replacing the complete motherboard. I believe this happens due to a lot of plug / unplugging the cable onto the device and somehow the usb port gets faulty. Mind you your device will charge. In my case OTG stopped working completely and eventually fast charging stopped working. Phone couldnt be detected at all and my only option was to update the phone via TWRP and had to get the motherboard replaced.

eagleusa77

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I had problem with Mac/PC recognizing as well. For my mac I figured out a solution. I installed SideSync on my S6 only. (Not on my mac). Then when I opened SideSync on my S6 my mac and AFT (Android File Transfer) recognized my phone finally. Kind of a strange fix but nothing else worked. Hope this helps someone else, if anything it's easy and worth the try.

Owen Kim

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Another suggestion, don't use the USB cable that came with your phone purchase. It really sucks. Use it just for charging, but for connection with PC, get another USB cable.

jlake1998

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
just spent 2 hrs... uggg.. Pull down the drop down menu after connected to PC. It says (connected for charging). touch the screen and another menu will popup, select transferring media files. After completed it resets.
when plugged into charger says (charging) and no menu pops up

rustynet

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Mine, too. My PC, running Windows 7, doesn't see the S6. I have to unload photos by email and a voice recording by playing it for my S4 (sans SIM card), then feeding it into my computer (which recognizes the S4). This sounds serious. How much does Samsung charge to replace the motherboard? Any other strategies that work? This makes quite a bit of my phone semi-useless.

ljack114

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Try this.
Connect your USB cord (phone & PC) then open the notifications screen (pull down). Then CLEAR all the notifications. When I did I got a charging message and one that let me select how the cable would function. I clicked it and heard the correct tones (prior to this I got strange beeps when I plugged in). I dunno but it seems like the old notifications were blocking the new notification I wanted to see. Maybe clearing the notification screen before connecting will work too.

Give it a try but it seemed to work for me.