Anyone Else Worried About The Safety Of The Rapid Charger Or Wireless Charging?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I am reluctant to use the packed-in-the-box rapid charger (or wireless charging) because of heat issues. Both generate significantly more heat than standard USB wall charging and I'm concerned that this could result in longer term battery problems or other unwanted glitches.

Many who have reported problems with screen rotation (reports of this are all over the forums) have speculated that it's due to use of the rapid charger. A friend of mine, who's an electronic's technician reminded me that heat is not the friend of sensitive electronics.

And I know many are going to say that this could not be a problem because Samsung must have done extensive testing, etc. but then we all know of monumental screw-ups that had presumably been vetted by the companies in question.

Just wondering if anyone else is concerned about this issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not concerned at all. I use the rapid charger at work and my wireless charging pad at home. I'm a happy camper :).

In my opinion.. It's not worth to be super protective and not use features that are awesome just to maybe have a little better battery in a year or two. I'd rather just spend 45 bucks down the road and get a new battery if those things actually did anything to the battery (which I don't think it will).

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Not concerned at all. I use the rapid charger at work and my wireless charging pad at home. I'm a happy camper :).

In my opinion.. It's not worth to be super protective and not use features that are awesome just to maybe have a little better battery in a year or two. I'd rather just spend 45 bucks down the road and get a new battery if those things actually did anything to the battery (which I don't think it will).

The best example is a laptop AC adapter versus a docking station adapter. The docking station one will damage your laptop because it's not designed to be compatible with the laptop plugged in directly. Use the plug for the wireless charger that comes in the box or is compatible with the charging pad. Compatibility with devices and accessories are especially when mixing and matching non OEM parts.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a charger at home that's around 2.1 amp. It's barely any difference in charging time than the "rapid" charger. Don't worry about it at all

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I am reluctant to use the packed-in-the-box rapid charger (or wireless charging) because of heat issues. Both generate significantly more heat than standard USB wall charging and I'm concerned that this could result in longer term battery problems or other unwanted glitches.

Many who have reported problems with screen rotation (reports of this are all over the forums) have speculated that it's due to use of the rapid charger. A friend of mine, who's an electronic's technician reminded me that heat is not the friend of sensitive electronics.

And I know many are going to say that this could not be a problem because Samsung must have done extensive testing, etc. but then we all know of monumental screw-ups that had presumably been vetted by the companies in question.

Just wondering if anyone else is concerned about this issue.

Outside of my current job I have done testing on hardware limitations with Thermals. Running hotbox tests on motherboards/laptops while keeping focus on power systems.

The heat created by the charging of your device is highly unlikely to harm your device. Second if anything quick chargers should be safer as they require considerably high quality components to keep higher efficiency.
(Most quick chargers obtain higher power outputs in part through increases in efficiency (this is due to the fact higher amperage=far less efficient). Basically if your amperage doubles, your efficiency is exponentially lowered (you loose more electricity in heat). This is why good power adapters cost good money due to materials (higher quality wiring, better VRM's, better caps, etc). You can imagine a cheap adapter capable of only 1amp@5v with efficiency of 70%@room temperature is now being forced to deliver double the rating. The adapter will die very very quickly and chances are high it will be incapable of producing 2amps@5v even for a remote second.

Most electronic adapters can vary from 70%-80% electrical efficiency. High end adapters or high capacity adapters should do 90% efficiency.

Fast charging has been around for some time outside of smartphones (and inside), while yes lithium ion batteries' efficiency/cells can suffer from heat unless you live in a house with temperatures in excess of 95f+ you should be fine. Any damage due to the slightly higher temperature should be negligible.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Been using the adaptive fast charger with the Note 4 since it came out and have no problems at all.
The S6 might be different though. :p

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not concerned. It does get quite warm when charging, but that's normal for phones.

Only thing I'm not sure of if it could potentially degrade the life of the battery faster over time? So in a year from now, it might not be able to hold as much charge as it would had it been a regular charger?

But no, I'm not worried. If you're concerned, then don't use it. Use a standard charger.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I could be wrong but didn't samsung say if the battery degraded to 80% capacity within the first year that they would replace it for free. Thought I red in one of these threads somewhere. How would one even check that anyway.?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams