Battery of the S6 vs. the S5?

tabs31

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Looking for insight for those who had the S5 and are now using the S6. How does the battery life compare between the two assuming that you have been using them exactly the same?
Forgive me for adding another battery post to the ranks. I believe most of them are from people coming from another brand of Android or from an iPhone. I'm curious to find real world results from those coming from the last generation of the S series.
Thanks for your time and help!

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I owned the s5 for 1 year and used it everyday. I've now owned the s6 for exactly I month. And I can say I can't really tell much of a difference in battery life. From my experience I would have to say that my s6 is about the same as my s5 if not just a little better when it comes to battery life. So I'm happy with my s6.

anon(9403433)

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Came from an underclocked S4 rather than the S5 but battery lasted longer than the S5 that way. So far in my month long experience with the S6, it seems to have adapted better to keeping a charge. Same use and all since first day but now it lasts the whole day + rather than 7hours or so ish (constantly hunting for a charger) as it initially did. Like the previous post said it does last longer than the S5 but ofcourse other factors will play a role.

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday i got 4 hours of screen on time and was at 47% battery on my s6. I can probably squeeze 8 hours of screen on time. Thats pretty damn good

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my third S6, and for some reason this one lasts just as long, maybe a bit longer than my S5 did. The first two absolutely did not. I'm not exactly sure why -- the only difference I can see is that I didn't disable a bunch of Samsung and Google apps on the new phone. Either that or the batteries on the early units were bad. I went from 2.5 hours average SOT and 9 hours runtime to over 4 hours SOT and 13.5 hours runtime according to GSAM. I thought it was Facebook so I left it off and used the web version for a week, but I recently reinstalled it and there has been no change to the battery. It's also possible the early units had bad wifi antennas, as I noticed battery usage for wifi regularly outpaced screen usage. It's normal now, with screen always using more juice than wifi.

I was out all day yesterday in some pretty terrible coverage conditions and I still had plenty of juice at the end of the day. I was impressed -- I think it was better than I could have gotten with the S5.

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I owned the s5 for 1 year and used it everyday. I've now owned the s6 for exactly I month. And I can say I can't really tell much of a difference in battery life. From my experience I would have to say that my s6 is about the same as my s5 if not just a little better when it comes to battery life. So I'm happy with my s6.

My experience is the same. Seem to be getting about the same battery life. Possibly a little better, but not really significant.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Apart from the battery life I have to say the quick charge is amazing. I don't even care about how fast the battery drops anymore because I can plug in the phone for 10 mins and get roughly 20% juice back.

To give an example of how this is so amazing: I woke up and did my morning routine and headed to school. After 4 hours of being off the charger I had 60~% battery left. I plugged the phone into my battery pack for 15 mins which brought me up to 85~% which was enough to last me the rest of school all the way till bed time.

So for me I can get 1 full day of use with this battery as long as I charge for 15-20 mins at some point during my day.

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my third S6, and for some reason this one lasts just as long, maybe a bit longer than my S5 did. The first two absolutely did not. I'm not exactly sure why -- the only difference I can see is that I didn't disable a bunch of Samsung and Google apps on the new phone. Either that or the batteries on the early units were bad. I went from 2.5 hours average SOT and 9 hours runtime to over 4 hours SOT and 13.5 hours runtime according to GSAM. I thought it was Facebook so I left it off and used the web version for a week, but I recently reinstalled it and there has been no change to the battery. It's also possible the early units had bad wifi antennas, as I noticed battery usage for wifi regularly outpaced screen usage. It's normal now, with screen always using more juice than wifi.

I was out all day yesterday in some pretty terrible coverage conditions and I still had plenty of juice at the end of the day. I was impressed -- I think it was better than I could have gotten with the S5.

Sometimes it's hard to tell that you just have a bad phone. You stuck in there and now finally your patience is paying off. I'm so glad to hear this as I remember your story. I'll bet with a few tweaks or disabling of some apps it will get you slightly better numbers if you try.

Best of luck with your latest device.

Posted via the Android Central App

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say the S6 goes way above and beyond the S5, but it is better. That speaks to the efficiency of the hardware and some of their software tweaks, but it's hard to get a good idea of how good this battery can be until certain issues with Lollipop are corrected. I'm interested to see how the S6 performs on 5.1.1 with the what is presumed to be bug fixes for cell standby, WiFi, and Google Services drain.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes it's hard to tell that you just have a bad phone. You stuck in there and now finally your patience is paying off. I'm so glad to hear this as I remember your story. I'll bet with a few tweaks or disabling of some apps it will get you slightly better numbers if you try.
I'm starting to wonder if there is some hardware issue with the first units, specifically the wifi antenna. My first S6 was the wrong memory config, but I was told to activate it until the 128gb unit arrived. That one got 2-3h hours SOT and wifi would use over 50% of the battery sometimes, with the screen using way less. The second one had blotches under the screen, so I had to warranty exchange it. That also got 2-3 hours SOT with the same lopsided wifi battery usage. My third one gets 4 hours SOT average, but on weekends when the email is set to sync every hour instead of live, it's closer to 6 hours. Screen to wifi battery ratio is normal. The current S6 does not report the Sony sensor, which indicates it's of newer manufacture. Also consider that most of the severe battery issues happened with the TMo units, which were released earlier than the other carriers, presumably because they received their stock first.

Also, this is anecdotal, but I was talking to a buddy of mine during my drive home. With the S5, I would sometimes get disconnected in this one intersection, but it was rare. With the second S6, I got disconnected 4 times and I wasn't even halfway home. Yesterday I got from door to door without any problems.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I had the s5 (gave it to my daughter now) for almost a yr, pre lollipop my s5 lasted around 20hrs; 4hrs screen on time, post lollipop I got around 18hrs; 3 1/2 screen on time. My s6 edge lasts around 17hrs; 4 1/2 - 5hrs screen on time. The smaller battery hasn't effected my usage at all.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae