Any benefits in rooting?

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Last time I rooted a phone was in the HTC EVO 4G days. I honestly don't see the need but there might be benefits I or other readers don't know about.

Rooting seems to be extremely easy and fool proof to accomplish with the ping-pong method.

So what are the pros and can someone install OTA updates after root has been completed?

Posted via the Android Central App

disaster999

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Specs is a beast but doesn't mean anything if there's so much bloatware that lags the living daylights out of the phone.

Rooting it can eliminate this problem, but you will lose a lot of the features. What I'm most concern is the finger print scanner, camera app and the heart rate monitor

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I used to root every phone I had. But I no longer root my daily driver phone that I cannot do without. As hardware and software has improved the need to root has declined. Now I do not recommend rooting unless you have a specific need or just want to experiment on a spare device. Rooting also reduces the security of a device.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
There is a lot that can be done with root, but you have to know what you are doing with it before you do anything to it.

Xsposed frame work can completely change your phone and is fun to play with and there is always cleaning out the bloat to stop run away factory installed system apps.... and you won't gain back the lost storage but you can rid your phone of what you don't want on it.

Personally without a removable SD card "just" rooting the s6 to me is a waste of time, but to many who plan on running custom roms and themes it's the first step besides unlocking the bootloaders if needed... But that's a whole different ballgame with that....and like what has already been said... Never Never do this on your daily driver unless you are completely familiar with the processes... and the dangers

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

Tony Vargas

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Rooting the new S6 or Edge will disable Knox and Samsung pay. There is also a potential that it will not allow you to receive OTA updates. I always wait at least 6 months before I decide to root. I only root so I can install custom roms like Cm or PacMan. Wish someone would make a StarTrek rom.

So far, I have not seen any custom roms for my Note Edge. Hope this helps.

mrZoSo

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Rooting the new S6 or Edge will disable Knox and Samsung pay. There is also a potential that it will not allow you to receive OTA updates. I always wait at least 6 months before I decide to root. I only root so I can install custom roms like Cm or PacMan. Wish someone would make a StarTrek rom.

So far, I have not seen any custom roms for my Note Edge. Hope this helps.

Just an FYI. There is another way to root the S6 & S6 Edge, it's called PingPongRoot, and it does not trip Knox, so Samsung Pay will still work ;)
But you will not be able to get OTA updates is true. Just have to flash back to a stock non-rooted rom, update, re-root,, for the time being.