I know this is going to seem like blasphemy but is there a way to get iMessage to work on the S6?

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The easiest option is likely using Facebook Messenger. It's likely a familiar app for her, but it's freestanding. Install it for her and ask her to use that when messaging you. It's basically the exact same as any texting app, she doesn't need to be tech savvy at all.
Best of luck finding a solution! :)

f1rich

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I recommend Hangout or WhatsApp.
WhatsApp looks a lot better now with their new updates this week. We like using WhatsApp because you can send videos, pictures, location etc.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh OK. I was hoping it would be something like I message where it uses your cell number but I'll give it a try

Posted via the Android Central App

Unfortunately there is nothing like iMessage for Android. Hangouts is the closest thing since it is installed on Android but nothing native within the messaging app. I would assume this is due to each manufacturer having their own messaging app whereas Apple controls the main message app 100%.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh OK. I was hoping it would be something like I message where it uses your cell number but I'll give it a try

As long as you both have it loaded on both devices,you should be able to chat via messages, share videos, etc.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately there is nothing like iMessage for Android. Hangouts is the closest thing since it is installed on Android but nothing native within the messaging app. I would assume this is due to each manufacturer having their own messaging app whereas Apple controls the main message app 100%.

That's what my family uses for communicating long distance between Android/iPhone. It's not a perfect solution but works reasonably well for occasional use. Biggest shortfall is that the internet messaging aspect of it often lags by a few hours. When my wife was vacationing with her mom and sending messages back and forth we were often delayed by a few hours and other times only a minute or so, it was sporadic. The voice and video calling work quite well though so far.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
That's what my family uses for communicating long distance between Android/iPhone. It's not a perfect solution but works reasonably well for occasional use. Biggest shortfall is that the internet messaging aspect of it often lags by a few hours. When my wife was vacationing with her mom and sending messages back and forth we were often delayed by a few hours and other times only a minute or so, it was sporadic. The voice and video calling work quite well though so far.

But for cross platform communication, I don't think Hangouts would work.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I message, voice, and video between mine and an iPhone with Hangouts installed. It has to be over internet though

If they made hangouts more reliable and smoother with the ability to use SMS over WiFi then I would be all in. IMesaage is a much more worked out product