Samsung Galaxy S6 - How do I select ALL emails for deletion?

A

AC Question

I find no place on any email account to mark "all" for deletion instead of just one at a time. Please help. I have over 1,000 to delete.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy s6 - how do I select ALL emails for deletion?

Welcome to Android Central! There often isn't an option for this, as it is potentially dangerous--it might be better not to have a Delete All selection than to have one and accidentally delete all of your emails, including very important ones!

You're talking about the stock Email app, right? What are you using as an email provider? If it uses an IMAP server, then the emails shouldn't be taking up physical space on your phone's storage, since they're essentially read from the IMAP server. If it's a POP3 server, then the phone actually downloads the emails to your phone, which can take up storage. If you're worried about your storage space and if your email provider has an IMAP server, then use that instead.

mparegian

May 16, 2015
Visit site

This is my third Android phone and all have had the option to "select all" emails for deletion. This Samsung Galaxy S6 does not seem to have it. All of my email accounts (and there are 5 or 6 of them) are pop3 accounts - so what I am hearing you say is that I have to go through each of the hundreds of emails on each account and first check each one for deletion and then go into the trash and do the same thing again! There has to be a better way.....???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying. I saw another forum poster saying that he spoke to Verizon about this, and they're apparently aware of the issue, so there's hope that there could be a fix for it in the future. But nothing definite.

It also seems that the AT&T version has this capability, as jcp007 mentions in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...where-select-all-feature-email-galaxy-s6.html. It always boggles my mind how the same phone can have significantly different functions and menus between carriers.:-\

mparegian

May 16, 2015
Visit site

Yes, this is a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 - but I did find the feature in Trash to delete all trash which is, I believe, what jcp007 was referring to in her post with the AT&T version. So if it is available for Trash - why isn't it available for the In Box? There has to be a way and yes, I also saw that post about Verizon being aware of the problem - I just updated the phone to the most current version available and it is still not there. I am going to keep looking and trying - please post if you or anyone finds the answer. Thanks.

psharpe

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I stopped using the I-phone because you had to individually select email for deletion. The select all feature is critical to effective use of your email. You select all then unselect the email you want to read. This feature is critical if you are on the run and get tons of email most for which is trash or stuff you can deal with at your leisure. Shows Samsung is not doing its homework.

mparegian

May 16, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for all the responses but I simply quit using the Samsung/Verizon stock email program and installed K-9 - this free app works so much better than the stock program that comes with an Android/Verizon phone. I have installed many email accounts in it and it deals with them instantly allowing me to select all and delete all and then empty trash and they do not re-appear constantly plus they remain on the server so that I can access them via my computer. K-9 was the answer I was looking for!!!

nikkiwolvin

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

This is completely ridiculous, my Samsung S4 had the option to delete all mail at once. Having to delete email one by one is very annoying and makes me regret replacing my S4

XRoK

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site

Please bring back "delete all" option for email ASAP!

Milnerboy

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site

There is a work around I found on another forum, not as efficient as "Delete All", but a bit quicker than doing each separately.

"Press and hold any one mail and the color kind of goes grayish. Then go tapping on multiple mails to select them. Once you've selected them all you can perform various actions like "mark as read", "delete", etc."

mjf64

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Yes, that works thanks for the info. Got a new Galaxy J5 and couldn't figure out how to mass delete emails

Long press on email at top of the inbox or inbox subfolder, greys out the email and drops a check box next to all emails. Just select emails to delete then hit Delete, job done.

strycar

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

Just picked up a US Cellular S6. It was an "upgrade". Ha. Can't even select all emails like my S4 did. Not happy about this change.

strycar

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

That doesn't seem to work with the Galaxy S6. Works with the S4 that I had prior to this "upgrade" S6.

joe c1990

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site

just found out how to delete all my emails open emails tap on more then just tick the box then hit delete

Bob C46

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site

Apparently Samsung decided to remove the Delete All feature in Emails on the latest version of the Galaxy S-6. What a dumb decision. They decide for me and every other user that someone might delete all their emails by accident. It could happen of course but the feature has been there for every Galaxy I've owned going all the way back to the Fascinate. Now, with their making my decisions for me I have to select every email (sometimes in the 100's) to delete them one by one. Of course because of the way Verizon is set up they keep reappearing so I sometimes get to go in and delete them one by one a second time. What a disappointment this phone has been. Wish I had kept my S-5, it was a way better phone. No more Samsungs for me and this after 4 versions of them. Any work arounds or will Samsung reconsider and let people choose their own decisions.

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

What a bunch of crap. Until they fix this the best thing to do is login to the actual website that corresponds with your email such as Yahoo or Google and use their service which has a Select All button.

savesc

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Re; Galaxy s6 - how do I delete multiple e-mails in one stroke? Could do one day on S3? Feature lost

HEY SAMSUNG - I do not need a nanny. I need efficiency. I get 500-600 e-mails a day - mostly work related and necessary for me to do my job. There is absolutely no way I am going to delete these one at a time. If this is the nanny mentality at Samsung - having removed the simplest deletion that was on my S3, they have lost me to iPhone. At least there I can "delete all". Message to Samsung - I am a big boy and can actually make my own decisions. I do not need protection. I need efficiency. Bring back the ability to delete each day as existed on my S3. Until then - I am moving to iPhone. I am not sitting every day deleting 600 emials ONE AT A TIME! Mybe you guys in Korea don't use e-mail. In the US - many of us do. And as I said - I do not need you trying to protect me. Give us a choice - let me delete multiple at one time - MY CHOICE.

Sorry - iphone is superior the minute you removed the opportunity to remove all e-mails one day at a time. Quick, efficient and made sense. AND YOU REMOVED IT????????
:-\

savesc

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

You response "it is potentially DANGEROUS" - are you kidding????? We need a nanny? My s3 allowed me to delete a full day with one touch. That was dangerous - so it was removed from the s6? This is total garbage and because of this - I am moving to an iPhone. I get 500-600 e-mails every day. I will not sit and delete each and every one of them ONE AT A TIME.
As long as this situation exists - I am gone. And the way this happened - I may never be back.
Removing my ability to manage my e-mails in an efficient manner has to be the stupidest business decision that could have been made. If I sound angry - I am. I hate tech morons deciding for me what is "DANGEROUS". I will decide what is dangerous and I flat out do not need B Diddy doing it for me.
The one and only reason I have a smartphone is to be more productive and efficient. That eficiency has been removed - and as I said - as long as that is the way droid is - I am now an iphone person. Looks like Apple has more respect for their customers.
DELETING ONE E-MAIL AT A TIME IS TOTALLY INEFFICIENT. I DO NOT HAVE TO DO THIS ON AN IPHONE - BYE!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2