Weren't we promised less bloatware?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
How many PDF readers do I need on my phone? How about ONE?! Why are there three?

View attachment 177600
Can't you disable any of them?

No offense. Your thread title is a bit over generalized. Just my opinion and I am not a paid attorney or spokesperson. There are fewer unnecessary apps than the GS5 that you have the option not install and more that you can disable. There are some that you can disable. There are som that you select as you default and you shouldn't be prompted again.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
All three apps have different functions besides being a pdf viewer. First one looks to be useful the Google Drive App. The second one let's you make word documents and spreadsheets. Third one looks like it's an option from dropbox.

I don't think you understand the actual meaning of bloatware.

Posted via the Android Central App

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Can't you disable any of them?

I made a good faith attempt to disable literally everything I didn't want that came pre-installed on my phone. I can tell you that I did not specifically install any of these three apps (though they may have been bundled with something I did install).

There are some that you select as you default and you shouldn't be prompted again.

The problem is, I have no idea which of these 3 apps I should choose as my default. Which one is best?

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
All three apps have different functions besides being a pdf viewer. First one looks to be useful the Google Drive App. The second one let's you make word documents and spreadsheets. Third one looks like it's an option from dropbox.

I was attempting to open a PDF when this dialog popped up. I wasn't attempting to do anything with Google Drive, Office, or Dropbox. What exactly is going on with Android that so many app developers feel the need to bundle in a PDF reading capability?

I don't think you understand the actual meaning of bloatware.

My phone has multiple apps that do the same thing, and I didn't directly install any of them. Whatever you want to call it, it doesn't make for a positive user experience.

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Try them all and see which one you like most I suppose. Trial & error.

Yes of course I can go through the trouble of doing that, but I just feel a basic utility app like a PDF reader should be stock Android, not something that comes bundled with other apps. Same with image/photo viewers. If I want to upgrade any of these things beyond the default, I'll find a dedicated app in the Play Store, where I can view ratings and reviews.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes of course I can go through the trouble of doing that, but I just feel a basic utility app like a PDF reader should be stock Android, not something that comes bundled with other apps. Same with image/photo viewers. If I want to upgrade any of these things beyond the default, I'll find a dedicated app in the Play Store, where I can view ratings and reviews.

Yeah I do agree with you. There should be one default app for PDF viewing, and if the user isn't happy with it, then they can go to the Play Store and download a different one. Having 3 out of the box probably is overdoing something that doesn't need doing.

Unfortunately, the S6 comes with a plethora of duplicate apps doing the same thing. You might have to go into the settings -> applications and disable (or delete if possible) the ones you don't like. Or if they can't be disabled, then you can set one as a default (by clicking 'Always') then the option won't show up and it'll always default to the app you chose as the preferred app.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing the issue here is OP's carrier? My S6 only has the Hancom Office.

That's the problem with android, carriers. They love bloatware.

My family & friends DO NOT know how to delete or disable them.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I dont have any of those pdf reader preinstalled.
S6 does comes with much less preinstalled apps and I dont know if carriers based phones are more bloated than unlocked phones. Mine is unlocked and compare to mine Note 1, Note 2 and its much less bloats preinstalled.
Open Google folder and u will see whos the culprit here. To have Android for free and Google demands all OEMs have theirs own apps preinstalled.
So its not Samsungs fault or other OEMs and Google.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
But apps that you have downloaded giving you the option to use them for pdf viewers isn't bloatware... that's the point I'm making. Maybe someone likes Google drive but doesn't want Dropbox or whatever else it was giving the option to use. So that user would probably only get the option to use dropbox.

Pick one and move on. It's not that big of a deal. Lol people these days spoiled. Adaptation is the way of a happy healthy wonderful life.

Posted via the Android Central App