Unsolicited Pop Up Adds in Lollypop Galaxy 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

mygal6

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Being an avid believer in Free Enterprise I'm a long supporter of Google, until today. Google has lost my support 4-ever! I purchased a beautiful new Galaxy S6 in gold, and it is a wonderful phone, but ruined by Google intrusion into my private life. If you read the disclaimer, and I'm doing so by memory, it states "we can read your emails, look at your pictures, view your contacts, and send this information to 3rd party partners for advertising purposes". I'm sorry Google, I know you have heard of Amendment IV, the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated ... as well as being central to many other criminal law topics and to privacy law. If you think for one moment, the little disclaimer you put in your app, the one you only see for a second as your tentacles reach into my private life will hold up in court, you might wish to look at that again. It's not that my life is so interesting, or that I have any great secrets, but it's my life, not yours and I, only I choose who I let in. If you think that I'm interested in every little pop-up you place in my screen, 24 hours a day, even while I'm sleeping, your mistaken. I wouldn't accept one of them, just because you are forcing them on me, intruding my day, and my privacy. For the life of me I can't understand why you keep notifying me about mail, when I've never even signed into the mail app. Perhaps I don't want every email account I own streaming down to my phone. So I'm fighting back Google. I once thought you the frontier of free enterprise, the home of the free sprit, now you have lost me forever. For the same reason I sought out your search page, and android in the very beginning of the Internet and cell phone world, for those same reasons I am leaving you. Forever. I'm closing out my Google email, I returned the beautiful Galaxy 6s, and paid the $35 restocking fee for my freedom. I'm going to Apple now, Google. Where I know my emails and privacy are safe. Where my life and privacy are respected and I won't be sold down the road for profit, to retailers just waiting to get a piece of me. Goodbye Google and Android.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They're not violating your rights via that Amendment. You have the option to disagree to the Terms and not use the product. If you click "I accept" and use it .. You accepted the terms. No violation.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This has been a huge concern to me for a long time. I owned an Internet Service Provider company for 20 years and I sold it and retired two and a half years ago. During that time I watched people put more and more of their personal lives and even most intimate parts of those lives online without any regard to the possibility that anyone would be able to access that information. Then along comes Apple, Google and Microsoft offering what they said were free services. Well, there was never anything free about them. They are scanning almost everything you write, everything you read and luring at just about everything you do on the net. And worse, people are gladly giving them permission to do so and giving up their privacy in ways that they don't even understand.

That's why when I sold of my business, I retained a private domain and my private email accounts. I have one google email account required to use an android phone but don't use it for anything other than play store purchases. I hate cloud services because the cost, in terms of loss of privacy is so great. That's one of the reasons that I keep my stuff on my own sd card, even my music.

So, I agree with what you're saying, the problem is, your solution is not a solution. Its only a change from one peeping tom to another. As the old saying goes, there is no such thing as a free ride. If you want all those services and you want to maintain your privacy then you need to be willing to buy those services and pay for them. The second major problem with that is, that as far as I know there is no company out there that does that.

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I think you should read this...

http://bgr.com/2014/03/24/gmail-email-snooping-terms-apple/

Posted via the Android Central App

Thank you for posting this. I guess I can *kinda* understand why people get all up in arms over the whole Google vs. privacy issue; but at the same time, the outrage seems a bit much to me. If I want to drive a car, I have to give the government, an insurance company, and car dealership my personal information; if I want to play video games on a home console, I have to give my personal info and more than likely will eventually be exposed to advertisements targeting me. Basically nothing is really free, and there's probably some kind of "pay to play" setup behind almost everything.

For me, the convenience and usefulness of the services Google provides is worth the ads and personal information they probably have on me. They can send me a billion ads if they really want, knock themselves out.

With all of that said, I believe it's more than a little naive to think Apple (since it was mentioned) and other providers aren't capable of, and doing, the same thing. But, I hope the OP is happy on the other side of the fence regardless. Personally, I'll stick with the Goog and a less walled garden.

And btw, if you think it's ok for the government to have your info, I invite you to read up on the NSA's latest newsworthy exploits.

-# Cheers! #-

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This guy is blaming Google for what I can understand here is his fault, I've owned Androids for 4 years now, iPhone for a couple of years and Blackberry before that and I've never seen a Pop-up or add in any of my phones that hasn't been related to a third party app, once I see pop-ups I simply hit recent apps, see the apps that are running and ALWAYS find the guilty one, once I remove it, the problem is gone. So what I'm saying here is that if I'm right then he was blaming Google and even returned the phone when the problem may have been solved as easy as removing an app.

I may be wrong though...;)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Pop up ads don't occur in Android unless your using a third party app that does. Period. Besides apples terms of service are the same as googles but worded differently.

The OP might as well ditch all his electronics, cars, and computers and live in a cave. I don't agree with all the privacy intrusion they put on us but in order to stay current, sacrifices somewhere have to be made.

mygal6

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I would like to agree with you Almeuit, however after 3 days of opting out of google play apps that were poping up on my device, I opted out of the final app. Google services. Guess what? The google play store crashed and no more downloading of apps. You are incorrect, you can't opt out, and use the device.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would like to agree with you Almeuit, however after 3 days of opting out of google play apps that were poping up on my device, I opted out of the final app. Google services. Guess what? The google play store crashed and no more downloading of apps. You are incorrect, you can't opt out, and use the device.

I didn't say you could opt out and use it .. I said if you do not agree to the Terms for their services you cannot use their services. If you do not agree to Google's terms .. You cannot use their play store. I would expect it to not work.

You have to agree to their services in order to use them. This goes for pretty much every phone / software / thing we use. We all get those "Terms of agreement" that if we disagree .. We can't use it.

mygal6

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Incorrect, 90% of the pop-ups on the new Galaxy 6s were from Google, after all it was my phone and my experience. I have promoted internet development since dos. I do not live in a cave or wish to. I am not a product and do not want to be advertised as one by any corporation making money at my expense.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Incorrect, 90% of the pop-ups on the new Galaxy 6s were from Google, after all it was my phone and my experience. I have promoted internet development since dos. I do not live in a cave or wish to. I am not a product and do not want to be advertised as one by any corporation making money at my expense.

I am just saying -- If you are using a product that uses Android (Google's product) and do not agree to their terms you cannot use their service. If you go to Windows Phone, iPhone, Black Berry ... You will hit a wall for Terms on their services. If you do not agree you won't be able to use it.

That is just how it goes.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
This guy is blaming Google for what I can understand here is his fault, I've owned Androids for 4 years now, iPhone for a couple of years and Blackberry before that and I've never seen a Pop-up or add in any of my phones that hasn't been related to a third party app, once I see pop-ups I simply hit recent apps, see the apps that are running and ALWAYS find the guilty one, once I remove it, the problem is gone. So what I'm saying here is that if I'm right then he was blaming Google and even returned the phone when the problem may have been solved as easy as removing an app.

I may be wrong though...;)

I think you are correct sir. I don't get "pop ups" so I'm not even sure what he's referring to lol.

mygal6

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes that is true. I did not click and I returned the phone. It's the non tech savy people I'm trying to reach, the ones who don't read the Terms.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes that is true. I did not click and I returned the phone. It's the non tech savy people I'm trying to reach, the ones who don't read the Terms.

Yes most do not read -- but most are going to agree anyway. They want their smartphone and other things. Apple, Google, Microsoft .. they are going to get money one way or another. If you asked people if they want to pay for using their services or have free services and they mine some data .. I would assume most would choose the 2nd option.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm speaking with regards to the Galaxy 6s and Lollipop 5.0. If you haven't downloaded it. Try it and see :)

The Galaxy S6 comes with Lollipop already pre-installed on it. I know about the terms and I have accepted them. I am currently using my Galaxy S6 via the T-Mobile network.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm speaking with regards to the Galaxy 6s and Lollipop 5.0. If you haven't downloaded it. Try it and see :)

No offense mygal6, but I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but
neither Lollipop nor the GS6 is responsible for any pop ups.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A few points here:

1. Google is not the government. It is almost entirely impossible for them to violate your 4th Amendment rights.
2. Google doesn't sell your data or give it to 3rd parties.
3. Apple DOES sell your data or give it to 3rd parties.
4. What pop ups? I have not seen a Google app create pop ups - um, ever.
5. Google gives you direct control over which services you choose to participate in and what data you choose to share with them.
6. Samsung isn't Google. You bought a Samsung phone with Samsung's software on it.
7. This is more of a 2b - Google uses data that it aggregates to determine smarter choices for ads to display to you. They do all this on their side of the humongous wall that they put between your data and third parties. The third parties never get your data, they only get something that says their ad was clicked on and some generic non personal information about which site, etc.
8. This is more of a 3b - For years people have been criticizing Google for privacy issues and giving Microsoft and Apple a pass. I don't get it. Microsoft will straight up sell user data and commonly trades with partners, such as Yahoo, EA Games and content providers, such as media companies, etc. Apple says in their TOS that they will share data with their service partners at their discretion and does NOT provide a humongous wall they put between the consumer and data recipient. They don't offer ads or a similar product, they offer data and pathways to delivery.
9. "Read emails", "look at pictures", etc. - these are all misnomers. What they mean is that their SOFTWARE can scrub this content and try to find ways to make it useful. This is done by key word and topical transcription, programs that analyze photographs to enhance or determine sharing recommendations, etc. This is a huge part of how the PAI works in order to proactively bring content to users. It is theoretically possible a human could view this content, but 0% of people care enough about 1 person in 8 billion enough to find them and do that.
10. I normally don't comment on people's motivations for posting, but if you created an account simply to spread FUD about your pseudo-software decision making existential crisis, you should be aware that trolling is prohibited and unwelcome.

Everyone else, I strongly recommend not taking the bait.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

While I admire you sharing... Let's be honest here. I don't think that the non tech savvy people are going to read an obscure thread on a forum about Android devices.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Being an avid believer in Free Enterprise I'm a long supporter of Google, until today. Google has lost my support 4-ever! I purchased a beautiful new Galaxy S6 in gold, and it is a wonderful phone, but ruined by Google intrusion into my private life. If you read the disclaimer, and I'm doing so by memory, it states "we can read your emails, look at your pictures, view your contacts, and send this information to 3rd party partners for advertising purposes". I'm sorry Google, I know you have heard of Amendment IV, the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated ... as well as being central to many other criminal law topics and to privacy law. If you think for one moment, the little disclaimer you put in your app, the one you only see for a second as your tentacles reach into my private life will hold up in court, you might wish to look at that again. It's not that my life is so interesting, or that I have any great secrets, but it's my life, not yours and I, only I choose who I let in. If you think that I'm interested in every little pop-up you place in my screen, 24 hours a day, even while I'm sleeping, your mistaken. I wouldn't accept one of them, just because you are forcing them on me, intruding my day, and my privacy. For the life of me I can't understand why you keep notifying me about mail, when I've never even signed into the mail app. Perhaps I don't want every email account I own streaming down to my phone. So I'm fighting back Google. I once thought you the frontier of free enterprise, the home of the free sprit, now you have lost me forever. For the same reason I sought out your search page, and android in the very beginning of the Internet and cell phone world, for those same reasons I am leaving you. Forever. I'm closing out my Google email, I returned the beautiful Galaxy 6s, and paid the $35 restocking fee for my freedom. I'm going to Apple now, Google. Where I know my emails and privacy are safe. Where my life and privacy are respected and I won't be sold down the road for profit, to retailers just waiting to get a piece of me. Goodbye Google and Android.

I don't get it. Your claim to be a long supporter of Google. Yet you say that 9 don't like Google collecting your personal information... This is at the core of what Google is... They collect personal information and use that information to provide ads. Even before Android.... When Google was just a search engine.

The Google core privacy concepts haven't changed.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol