galaxy s6 camera is weird.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
The only problem I'm having with the S6 camera is that auto brightness doesn't work like it should. Sometimes the flush just won't go off when it is dark enough to need it and I have to manually turn the flash on

Devin143

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I just switched from s4 to s6 today also and I see exactly what you are talking about and dislike it very much. Did you ever fix it?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
But 4 different S6s all look the same as mine. The screen has the same effect when it comes to portrait photos or something close up.. Its not broken or anything thats just how it is now i guess and people are used to it.

I just think people cant see it.. or its normal now for LCD to look this way.

Im happy to be proven wrong but..

To be honest it sounds like it's your eyes, not the phone, if you are seeing it the same on all S6's then it's you.
Mine looks amazing, my photos are crisp and clear with no airbrush look what so ever. I had the S4 as well and
as said above, the s6 blows it out of the water for the camera.
Maybe you are just not used to that high of quality.
Did anyone ask if you were using the front facing came for your snap chat selfies or are we talking the main camera?

Daniel Lt

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Just came from a shop! I was horrified by all selfies made with S6 and S6 edge, it narrows the face and puts skin look mate! Look ill! Shocked! Vs the super clear selfies of the iphone 6....

There must be an issue , its not possible, the quality of the camera and screen are superb...

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem i really hate that my pictures looks like i already photoshop them...howww do i fix this!!!! Also the resolution is not that good!!!
But 4 different S6s all look the same as mine. The screen has the same effect when it comes to portrait photos or something close up.. Its not broken or anything thats just how it is now i guess and people are used to it.

I just think people cant see it.. or its normal now for LCD to look this way.

Im happy to be proven wrong but..

Rds784

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem:/
Do you know how to fix now?
Please tell me:)

Posted via the Android Central App

Same here. Photos are really disgusting. I mean they appear about normal, but there is some sort of effect similar to 'beauty' (althought it is already at minimum) that renders a distorted picture. I seem sick in those photos. In a photo taken from a certain distance the effect is lessened, but for a selfie well, if that's me I'm gonna throw myself down the bridge right now lol. What's the problem? This is serious o_O

szarl

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I know what you mean! i have exactly same problem with my camera. photos are so unnoyingly over sharpened that i'm going to change my phone soon cause it seems like nobody has a solution to this problem. photos look so unnatural! i was testing different light and objects and when it came to fabrics you can see every single fibre! really not happy with that

knatty

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but I have to say I'm sorry but I get the same thing with my S6. It's not the beauty setting or my eyes. I look in the mirror and my face is a medium complexion with a pretty coral blush on the cheeks. I'm NOT a pale person. So I look in the mirror and take a mental note of how I look in the mirror. I take a selfie shot and every time it turns out that I look ghostly pale. It's like I want to adjust the aperture on a regular camera to let less light in. It does not give true color. This is without using flash in front of natural light. Using artificial light, not enough light comes in so I turn on the flash. Seems I can get a somewhat better representation of my natural complexion that way. But still on the pale side.

lonbraj

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but I have to say I'm sorry but I get the same thing with my S6. It's not the beauty setting or my eyes. I look in the mirror and my face is a medium complexion with a pretty coral blush on the cheeks. I'm NOT a pale person. So I look in the mirror and take a mental note of how I look in the mirror. I take a selfie shot and every time it turns out that I look ghostly pale. It's like I want to adjust the aperture on a regular camera to let less light in. It does not give true color. This is without using flash in front of natural light. Using artificial light, not enough light comes in so I turn on the flash. Seems I can get a somewhat better representation of my natural complexion that way. But still on the pale side.
I don't think there is a fix for this. Samsung has been doing this since the S5, not idea how they are getting a pass on this matter from the press for so long. If you check some reviews you'll see that some reviewers point it out, but go on to play it down by saying they are not a selfie person anyway so who cares; as if it's shameful to take selfies...

Asians love to Photoshop their photos to look better, specially Koreans, so Samsung has a reason to do it, I just can't understand why they don't make it possible to completely turn it off.

An ASOP (pure Android) rom should fix it, since it's a software "issue", but I don't want to root a brand new phone and lose my warranty.

I'm also not a big fan of the front face camera wide angle as welll, but that's just my preference. Their phones are great though, just gotta live with that.

ezgi5

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Mine was doing that too and the adjusting the beauty thing didn't seem to make a difference. I THINK I fixed it. Move the beauty setting down to zero then turn the HDR setting on and after a few minutes you should be able to turn it back off and it'll be better. Either that or I just convinced myself it looks better but I swear it does.
I have a J7 and the front camera is just horrible. I love the phone in general but the camera'a quality is so bad. I had samsung 5s mini before this phone and it was so much better. I tried to turn off beauty face effect but it didn't make a difference? It is still airbrushed? I don't know how to fix it and it is kinda annoying. I would be grateful of you could help me with this

Rds784

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
So I think I found what's the problem. It's NOT beauty. There are three factors that contribute to weird photos.

I think FIRST of all it's a problem of contrast and temperature. It's like if these guys at Samsung thought that reducing default output contrast would add a feeling of beauty, and this might be the case for some people, maybe for people with strong outlines and rough skin. I in contrast am a bit pale with smooth skin and outlines. So that's why reducing contrast might make my features disappear making me look sick/cartooned. The image information is there though, it's only that with low contrast you can't see it (the human eye can't distinguish two light intensities that are less than 5% apart and there is variability among the population). The simple resolution for this is increasing the contrast/temperature in the output photo. I don't know if this can be made a default option. This is independet of the camera you are using, front or rear.

SECOND, the strong perspective which is, for what I know, a characteristic of the small lens diamenter, which you can't change, so you can't do much about it (there are some apps though that might correct this in post processing). This is why selfies distort the face. I think you will have this defect in all smartphones. Smartphone lenses are rather small compared to a reflex lens and I think you can't get control over perspective in s6.

THIRD, low/inhouse lightning. Light the flash and you'll see the difference(nice, high resolution and crisp images) whilst in low lightining condition the amount of detail will be very low. It's a matter of illumination and quantity of light that enters the objective.

If you sum these three effects you will have terribly looking photos, this might be true for some people, maybe depending on their personal features and on what they feel is nice and what is not. As stated before, also the options of the s6 screen might be at play.
So my suggestions for those experiencing this problem are:
1-For photos shoot outdoor(sunlight), increase the contrast/temperature on post processing. Find a way - I will search how to do that - to make it a default setting.
2-For indoor shootings, avoid using the selfie mode unless you have a strong light source pointing at you (you can't use flash in seflie mode). For the normal mode (front camera i guess?) use the flash. Either way, increase contrast and/or temperature. Even in selfie mode, playing with these two parameters will reduce drastically the plastinated effect we are talking about.
3-Additionally, you might want to avoid the perspective issue for the best photos, then avoid selfie and use timed photoshoots placing yourself not too close to the objective.

These are workarounds to this disappointing preset, but your photos will look far more normal now.

Last edited:

catsarecute

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm disappointed with mine, too. I used it for the first time today. My son has the iPhone 6s Plus and we compared our snaps of the sunset. His were far better - the sky in mine was yellow, even though the sky was blue and pink!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21