Article denying Forbes claim of s6 sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

FL777

Banned
May 28, 2015
Visit site
The battery is a non-issue. I own the S6 and the battery will easily last a work day. I have a fast charger in my car which cost $10 on Amazon that charges the phone to about 40%-50% capacity in 30 minutes. The included Samsung quick charger charges the phone from 5% to 100% in about an hour and 15 minutes or so. So if I start with a fully charged phone in the morning, my drive time home recharges the S6 to 60% or more by the time I reach home. So unless you are of in the woods somewhere, the batter is never an issue.

Further, Samsung charges only $45.00 to replace the batter which is a smoking deal. So if the S6 battery wears out, it's not a huge problem.

The S6 is the best phone out there right now. It is really better than the iPhone in many ways and I have owned three iPhones.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Nowhere in that article does Samsung state the official sales numbers. Saying something isn't true holds no weight if you don't counter it with quantifiable proof. The reality is, if the S6 were selling strongly Samsung would have already made the proud announcement. And Samsung is renowned for letting every corner of the world know when they have a hit.
The rising swell of tech and business sites is growing every day, all throwing out the 10 million sales number and all Samsung and its apologists can say is "That's not true?" on what day of the week is that sufficient proof?
By the way, the Samsung Galaxy S6, only a month in, is $50 off at Verizon. Don't know if that's industry wide, but Verizon is the largest carrier. Products that move briskly don't see price drops. When have you ever heard of a company refusing to release successful sales data? Especially in the face of growing doubt?
Samsung has been incredibly quiet regarding the S6. Their silence is deafening. It speaks volumes.
Based on last year's S5 debacle and the current S6 problems, despite being arguably the most attractive device available and the most tech advanced, looks like to me that Samsung is cycling out of public favor, as every other once dominant OEM has done.
Last year's plastic S6 with removable battery and expandable memory was a disaster. The current all metal/glass, finger print sensor iPhone aping S6 hasn't been successful. The public hasn't shown a taste for either. The world beating S6 was supposed to revive Samsung's high end business. It didn't happen. What is Samsung to do now?
Start dropping the price. As embarrassing as that is with bitter arch nemesis Apple certainly taking gleeful notice as its iphone 6 is still going strong.

Last edited:

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Nowhere in that article does Samsung state the official sales numbers. Saying something isn't true holds no weight if you don't counter it with quantifiable proof. The reality is, if the S6 were selling strongly Samsung would have already made the proud announcement. And Samsung is renowned for letting every corner of the world know when they have a hit.
The rising swell of tech and business sites is growing every day, all throwing out the 10 million sales number and all Samsung and its apologists can say is "That's not true?" on what day of the week is that sufficient proof?
By the way, the Samsung Galaxy S6, only a month in, is $50 off at Verizon. Don't know if that's industry wide, but Verizon is the largest carrier. Products that move briskly don't see price drops. When have you ever heard of a company refusing to release successful sales data? Especially in the face of growing doubt?
Samsung has been incredibly quiet regarding the S6. Their silence is deafening. It speaks volumes.
Based on last year's S5 debacle and the current S6 problems, despite being arguably the most attractive device available and the most tech advanced, looks like to me that Samsung is cycling out of public favor, as every other once dominant OEM has done. The world beating S6 was supposed to revive Samsung's high end business. If the S6 fails to do that, what else is there to do?

First off why is samsung the only android phone company that for some reason has to prove to you guys how successful they are by how many phones they sell or not cell. And how much money they made from one quarter to the next. You'd think all you guys where stock holders in the company . And why am I willing to bet that most you in a tizzy about Samsung's present financial state . Don't even own the gs6 but you own maybe a htc ,lg ,are moto phones and are so tried of Samsung being the 800 pound gorilla in the room you're scratching for every bit of news that proves their demise. You guys really need to stop wasting so much of your time hating on samsung if you don't like there phones fine buy something that you like and move on . My gs6 works for me and that all that matters

Posted via the Android Central App

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
First off why is samsung the only android phone company that for some reason has to prove to you guys how successful they are by how many phones they sell or not cell. And how much money they made from one quarter to the next. You'd think all you guys where stock holders in the company . And why am I willing to bet that most you in a tizzy about Samsung's present financial state . Don't even own the gs6 but you own maybe a htc ,lg ,are moto phones and are so tried of Samsung being the 800 pound gorilla in the room you're scratching for every bit of news that proves their demise. You guys really need to stop wasting so much of your time hating on samsung if you don't like there phones fine buy something that you like and move on . My gs6 works for me and that all that matters

I didn't see anybody hating on Samsung. I was a first day adopter of the S6 on April 1 and am rooting for them but a few things on the S6 (battery life, sometimes wonky fingerprint sensor, frustrating occasional lag) make me question if Samsung is really ready to sell a nearly $1000.00 phone (that's what I paid for my 128GB edge).

IF sales are slow (and we don't really know yet) then it's an indication that Samsung may have some issues on its hand that need to be addressed like getting the S6 right (I've been waiting patiently for 2 months now) and making the S7 more acceptable to consumers. That's a legitimate conversation.

And, the fact that Samsung is suspiciously silent nearly 2 months into sales, is something to wonder about. Apple (like any successful company) has no problem shouting to the world that they sold over 10 million iPhone 6's in one weekend. That helped to create momentum for them for over 70 million iPhone sales in a single quarter. Samsung's silence stands in stark contrast to this and just creates suspicion as noted by other publications - http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...msung-improve-your-corporate-communicati.aspx

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see anybody hating on Samsung. I was a first day adopter of the S6 on April 1 and am rooting for them but a few things on the S6 (battery life, sometimes wonky fingerprint sensor, frustrating occasional lag) make me question if Samsung is really ready to sell a nearly $1000.00 phone (that's what I paid for my 128GB edge).

IF sales are slow (and we don't really know yet) then it's an indication that Samsung may have some issues on its hand that need to be addressed like getting the S6 right (I've been waiting patiently for 2 months now) and making the S7 more acceptable to consumers. That's a legitimate conversation.

And, the fact that Samsung is suspiciously silent nearly 2 months into sales, is something to wonder about. Apple (like any successful company) has no problem shouting to the world that they sold over 10 million iPhone 6's in one weekend. That helped to create momentum for them for over 70 million iPhone sales in a single quarter. Samsung's silence stands in stark contrast to this and just creates suspicion as noted by other publications - Memo to Samsung: Improve Your Corporate Communication (SSNLF)

In 2014 Samsung moved approximately 308 million devices, while Apple moved about 191 million. Samsung tends to average between 70 and 85 million per quarter, while Apple spikes up once a year to 50-60 (this year around 75 million) and is usually closer 25 - 40. So three quarters of the year, Samsung is 2-3 times larger in shipments and once per year they're only equivalent. Apple is still growing in volume, but Samsung is still holding steady, at least on an annual basis. Having two major releases per year ~ 6 months apart helps regularity a bit, but does inhibit some from buying one or the other.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
In 2014 Samsung moved approximately 308 million devices, while Apple moved about 191 million. Samsung tends to average between 70 and 85 million per quarter, while Apple spikes up once a year to 50-60 (this year around 75 million) and is usually closer 25 - 40. So three quarters of the year, Samsung is 2-3 times larger in shipments and once per year they're only equivalent. Apple is still growing in volume, but Samsung is still holding steady, at least on an annual basis. Having two major releases per year ~ 6 months apart helps regularity a bit, but does inhibit some from buying one or the other.

Are you only including the galaxy line Samsung makes a lot more models of smartphones and tablets then Apple

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site

It really isn't that big a deal what these guys use and why they're harping on Samsung.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
As soon as the Note 4 and Note Edge came out, I started seeing them at work and roundabout. Also with the S5.
But I have yet to see an S6.
Amazon shows the sales as being way down. And both Verizon and Amazon show most review complaints with horrible battery life.
So, it's not a big surprise the sales are down.

I see S5's, Note 3's and iPhones all day long (in IT areas), but no Note 4's or S6's.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

Very good points, but Samsung's sales are declining pretty fast (50% decline y/y in China alone) and Apple's are growing immensely. Samsung managed to move 10 million fewer phones in 2014 vs 2013 in a market that grew by nearly 90 million phone sales (Gartner Says Smartphone Sales Surpassed One Billion Units in 2014). Apple's sales increased 50% (25 million iPhones) in the same year.

Pretty surprising is that the last reported quarter actually had Apple selling more volume than Samsung - 74.8 million phones vs 73 million. A year ago, Samsung was more than double Apple's sales - Apple Crowned King Of Smartphone Market, Sells More Than Samsung In Q4 2014 : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Also, consider that most of Samsung's sales are low-mid priced phones around the world (average selling price $247) while Apple sells one very high priced product line (average selling price $687). Samsung's profits plunged 64.2% in the last reported quarter vs Apple having it's biggest profit quarter in history ($24.2 billion), by far, in large part to the iPhone 6 release.

Samsung's mobile profits plunge 64.2% after Apple's iPhone 6 devastates premium Galaxy sales

In the end, the way I look at this is that Apple makes 93% of all profits in the cell phone industry. That says much more (at least to me) than how many total units you are moving. I'm no Apple fanboy and have been rooting for Samsung for many years now and have bought many of their products but they clearly need to figure this out. In my humble opinion, it should start with fixing the battery life, fingerprint sensor and lag issues with the S6 to get it back on track and to get people talking nicely about it.

I paid nearly $1000.00 for my Samsung phone and I expect Samsung to fix the issues and at least act like they care. Just like I expect when I buy an expensive Apple product. If you want to sell $1000.00 phones, you need to really deliver on the customer experience.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I guess I consider myself lucky on the fingerprint scanner issue. Got some help setting it up from a Samsung rep and it works well for me.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Very good points, but Samsung's sales are declining pretty fast (50% decline y/y in China alone) and Apple's are growing immensely. Samsung managed to move 10 million fewer phones in 2014 vs 2013 in a market that grew by nearly 90 million phone sales (Gartner Says Smartphone Sales Surpassed One Billion Units in 2014). Apple's sales increased 50% (25 million iPhones) in the same year.

Pretty surprising is that the last reported quarter actually had Apple selling more volume than Samsung - 74.8 million phones vs 73 million. A year ago, Samsung was more than double Apple's sales - Apple Crowned King Of Smartphone Market, Sells More Than Samsung In Q4 2014 : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Also, consider that most of Samsung's sales are low-mid priced phones around the world (average selling price $247) while Apple sells one very high priced product line (average selling price $687). Samsung's profits plunged 64.2% in the last reported quarter vs Apple having it's biggest profit quarter in history ($24.2 billion), by far, in large part to the iPhone 6 release.

Samsung's mobile profits plunge 64.2% after Apple's iPhone 6 devastates premium Galaxy sales

In the end, the way I look at this is that Apple makes 93% of all profits in the cell phone industry. That says much more (at least to me) than how many total units you are moving. I'm no Apple fanboy and have been rooting for Samsung for many years now and have bought many of their products but they clearly need to figure this out. In my humble opinion, it should start with fixing the battery life, fingerprint sensor and lag issues with the S6 to get it back on track and to get people talking nicely about it.

I paid nearly $1000.00 for my Samsung phone and I expect Samsung to fix the issues and at least act like they care. Just like I expect when I buy an expensive Apple product. If you want to sell $1000.00 phones, you need to really deliver on the customer experience.

The apple spike was to be expected its there first big phone there's a lot of pent up apple iPhone people waiting for this for along time . Now that they've done it the next phone will not be a big deal for there supporters . ,. And let's not forget there biggest gain was China that market is now full . This will be samsung Chance to take back some of there lost customers . They wont go down without a fight . Let's not forget apple is buying Sammy chips and maybe there screen technology to . There's more then one way to skin a cat when your samsung

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

And this my friends is why you never keep a broken phone past the 14 day trial period.

I'm sorry bro, but you may think that your issues are Samsung fault, but you're issues are with T-Mobile and Google. But most of all, you kept a phone that clearly isn't working for you. Take responsibility for that at least. Then if you want, you can plead your case about how your issues aren't related to T-Mobile software that you accepted to use and lollipop bugs, but totally Samsung's fault (specifically battery life). Just remember that your going to also have to explain how the vast majority (95+%) don't have your issues.

Also understand that I'm not arguing with you, just asking you to once again back up your claims. I've been laying off of you with your unfounded rants on the G4 forum, but here, I'm asking politely once again on this thread to put up or step down.

Posted via the zenfone 2

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
And this my friends is why you never keep a broken phone past the 14 dayAlso understand that I'm not arguing with you, just asking you to once again back up your claims. I've been laying off of you with your unfounded rants on the G4 forum, but here, I'm asking politely once again on this thread to put up or step down.

Posted via the zenfone 2

Huh? "Unfounded rants" because I'm sharing my real world 2 month experience with my S6's battery life, which incidentally is shared by many others (including Phil Nickenson who runs Mobile Nations). I thought this was a place for people to share their experiences, both good and bad.

And, "put up" what exactly? I've posted many battery life screenshots. Truly not following you here.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Huh? "Unfounded rants" because I'm sharing my real world 2 month experience with my S6's battery life, which incidentally is shared by many others (including Phil Nickenson who runs Mobile Nations). I thought this was a place for people to share their experiences, both good and bad.

And, "put up" what exactly? I've posted many battery life screenshots. Truly not following you here.

I'm not sure why he thinks you owe him an explanation.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Samsung sold me one. I am happy with mine, so I don't care how many they sold. My last two have been htc ones. Had the G2 - also an excellent phone - and the S3 before that.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Based on last year's S5 debacle and the current S6 problems, despite being arguably the most attractive device available and the most tech advanced, looks like to me that Samsung is cycling out of public favor, as every other once dominant OEM has done.
Last year's plastic S6 with removable battery and expandable memory was a disaster. The current all metal/glass, finger print sensor iPhone aping S6 hasn't been successful. The public hasn't shown a taste for either. The world beating S6 was supposed to revive Samsung's high end business. It didn't happen. What is Samsung to do now?
Start dropping the price. As embarrassing as that is with bitter arch nemesis Apple certainly taking gleeful notice as its iphone 6 is still going strong.

While I have personally seen a lot of Verizon salespeople promote Apple and speak poorly of anything android, I can say that in my area the vzw corporate stores cannot keep the most 64gb and 32 GB varieties in stock. Esp the white 64. My dad and sister also had trouble in another market when they tried to purchase a 32 black and 64 white. Makes you wonder of there are production issues on Samsung's end that are limiting availability?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

No, your unfounded claims that it's Samsung's fault.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Samsung sold me one. I am happy with mine, so I don't care how many they sold. My last two have been htc ones. Had the G2 - also an excellent phone - and the S3 before that.

^^+1

Just like I said in another thread of the same, I couldn't care less if they sold just 1 and it was mine, then I'd be the only one using the best Android phone in the market right now. I also mentioned that if they sold just 10M last month, that would be more than double of the rest of big players combined, even if they sell half than that, they won't go anywhere, if Sony still sell great smartphones and one of the best Androids out there (Z3), Samsung will be selling phones for long time to come.

If for some weird reasons Samsung decides to stop doing smartphones as it was mentioned in the other thread because their sales are "low", I couldn't care less either, I'm not a Samsung shareholder and the beauty of Android is that we have tons of other manufacturers making great phones, and even this new China newcomers and others like Asus with the Zenfone2, Alcatel with the Idol 3 and some of the Blu phones, all under $300 are great buys right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888