Article denying Forbes claim of s6 sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitwalz

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I believe the rush to crucify Samsung is a little bit nauseating. But that does not debunk a dam thing.

Posted via the Android Central App

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
As soon as the Note 4 and Note Edge came out, I started seeing them at work and roundabout. Also with the S5.
But I have yet to see an S6.
Amazon shows the sales as being way down. And both Verizon and Amazon show most review complaints with horrible battery life.
So, it's not a big surprise the sales are down.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, why they couldnt put a 3500mah battery in the S6 like they are going to do in the Active is mind boggling. It would have added a millimeter in thickness probably since the Active is only 2 mm thicker. 40% more battery (possibly 40% more screentime) for one mm!! That would have killed any external battery issues and be the top choice for Android phone all year but the G4 is already considered the top choice by many editors including this site. (I know I loved my G2 battery life... felt the best battery life I had have to date and didnt care about non-removeable battery) For a phone that cost more than an iphone to make, shouldn't have compromised on a no-compromise type phone.

As soon as the Note 4 and Note Edge came out, I started seeing them at work and roundabout. Also with the S5.
But I have yet to see an S6.
Amazon shows the sales as being way down. And both Verizon and Amazon show most review complaints with horrible battery life.
So, it's not a big surprise the sales are down.

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe the rush to crucify Samsung is a little bit nauseating. But that does not debunk a dam thing.

It's always easy to jump on an any article without facts or no comment if you think Samsung made a mistake not including the card slot and having a larger battery. Please don't this thread deteriorate into an "I told you so" or a battery life thread or "i wish the battery were larger". Facts aren't in. So what if it took a week longer than it is predecessors to sell 10 million units. Battery size in the GS6 is set. Battery life depends upon a number of factors. My battery life is better than my wife's GS4 and my dad's GS5.

Kitwalz

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
What!!!!!!!! Are you talking about..

The OP basically said that the article that he posted counters the Forbes article which it really didn't. In the corporate world with shareholders that you are accountable to when you run a big corporation like Samsung. not selling as many phones as they did last year in the same time period. Does not talk but screams oh crap to the shareholders.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, why they couldnt put a 3500mah battery in the S6 like they are going to do in the Active is mind boggling. It would have added a millimeter in thickness probably since the Active is only 2 mm thicker. 40% more battery (possibly 40% more screentime) for one mm!! That would have killed any external battery issues and be the top choice for Android phone all year but the G4 is already considered the top choice by many editors including this site. (I know I loved my G2 and didnt care about non-removeable battery) For a phone that cost more than an iphone to make, shouldn't have compromised on a no-compromise type phone.

You ask why Samsung didn't put in a larger battery at the 'cost' of a millimeter in thickness?

It goes back to their marketing 'flip flop' that at first wanted to differentiate between Apple with removable battery. .. to deciding to copy Apple with sealed battery... and deciding to go for ultimate thinness, sleakness and overall design 'panache'.

Yes... to many, it's the best Galaxy ever. But... there are issues and problems... mostly associated with the small battery.

However, all Samsung did was in the reality of the buying public... was COPY APPLE in an android format at the same or more expensive price point as an Iphone.

It's not just the battery 'issue'. It's the marketing MISTAKE which the consumer caught on to and they're choosing for the SAME PRICE POINT... the IPhone!

Otherwise. .. you'd see the S6 all over the planet with corresponding numbers to match.

But... Samsung's numbers won't match Apple. .. let alone their marketing expectations.

I'm the ideal S6 buyer who has bought Galaxy and Android for years. I will NOT touch the S6 given the battery and the same price point as the Iphone.

I will wait. Others... are buying Iphones!

Samsung marketing... in a business sense... came up SHORT... AGAIN!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You ask why Samsung didn't put in a larger battery at the 'cost' of a millimeter in thickness?

It goes back to their marketing 'flip flop' that at first wanted to differentiate between Apple with removable battery. .. to deciding to copy Apple with sealed battery... and deciding to go for ultimate thinness, sleakness and overall design 'panache'.

Yes... to many, it's the best Galaxy ever. But... there are issues and problems... mostly associated with the small battery.

However, all Samsung did was in the reality of the buying public... was COPY APPLE in an android format at the same or more expensive price point as an Iphone.

It's not just the battery 'issue'. It's the marketing MISTAKE which the consumer caught on to and they're choosing for the SAME PRICE POINT... the IPhone!

Otherwise. .. you'd see the S6 all over the planet with corresponding numbers to match.

But... Samsung's numbers won't match Apple. .. let alone their marketing expectations.

I'm the ideal S6 buyer who has bought Galaxy and Android for years. I will NOT touch the S6 given the battery and the same price point as the Iphone.

I am happy for you. You are voting with you wallet but don't buy another car, tv, appliance, laptop, or house. Someone is always adopting features from competitors. Without Palm or RIM, there would be no Apple and without Apple no Android. Why would incorporate a failed feature or try to improve it in a flagship device? Marketing has convinced some that customization and knowing what you want and how uy want is too much effort and responsibility. Here is a device that does it all for you but if you don't like it, too bad. Why did Apple offer a larger screen, NFC, Apple,Pay, or,the Apple,Watch? They have yet to offer wireless charging or rapid charging or dual mobile payment formats or an IR blaster or true multi-tasking. Both Samsung and Apple make great devices and will face a lot of stiff competition going forward. To rush to judgment and repeat talking point does little to further the discussion. It shuts it down. Could you be right? Only time will tell. Let's revisit this next spring prior to the GS7 rumor buildup.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Betamax>VHS>laserdisc>DVD>BluRay>video streaming services. How did we make this transition? Do people still watch VHS? Sure. Trend is less hardware. Samsung did differentiate itself by offering features Apple didn't have to establish itself as a viable option. For most, Apple is the gold standard and now Samsung has differentiated itself again by introducing features that Apple is slowly introducing or has yet to offer. These aren't talking points but facts. Go compare and actually see for yourselves. For years, the Redwings or the Bruins were the gold standard in hockey, what are other NHL teams doing? Whatever it takes to build a team that plays as well and then adding players that take their team to the next level.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Let's revisit this next spring prior to the GS7 rumor buildup.

I'm not sure Samsung has that much time - their stockholders (owners) won't permit it. Their mobile division profits were already down 57% year over year before the S6 was released from their slowing S5 sales and were in a massive scramble to maintain their margins (From the Wall Street Journal: "The company’s mobile division limped along as consumers flocked to Apple Inc.’s new iPhones and devices made by Chinese brands like Xiaomi Corp. The division’s operating profit fell to 2.74 trillion won, 57% lower than a year earlier."). It's really easy to go from making money to losing it in the phone business - just look at Palm, Blackberry, HTC, etc.

I am pulling for Samsung and have always liked them and think they generally made the right move with the S6 (but clearly should have made the S6 1mm thicker for a 3000mAh battery) but their consistent failure to address issues like battery life (which is mostly software related) is, sadly, making me lose the faith after 2 months of owning my S6 with no improvement at all or even a corporate commitment that fixable things like Cell Standby will be resolved soon. Just silence.

They clearly cannot compete with Apple in the high end (that takes real customer service and commitment that Samsung doesn't understand) and are getting squeezed on the low/mid end by some pretty spectacular Chinese models that deliver 90% of the same smartphone experience for 30% of the price. Even I am now considering one as my next phone (that Huawei P8 looks magnificent for the money!).

They are in a tough spot if the early sales reports are true. Their statement 'denying' the Forbes article that S6 sales were 'disastrous' was hardly a denial at all but, in some ways, an acknowledgement that S6 sales are slower than S5 sales were at the same point in time, because the magic number for the S6 was 10 million phones sold in 25 days (Apple did that in one weekend with the 6) and they are just now (40+ days after general release) saying they surpassed the 10 million number.

Can't wait to see what the actual numbers are, though.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure Samsung has that much time - their stockholders (owners) won't permit it. Their mobile division profits were already down 57% year over year before the S6 was released from their slowing S5 sales and were in a massive scramble to maintain their margins (From the Wall Street Journal: "The company’s mobile division limped along as consumers flocked to Apple Inc.’s new iPhones and devices made by Chinese brands like Xiaomi Corp. The division’s operating profit fell to 2.74 trillion won, 57% lower than a year earlier."). It's really easy to go from making money to losing it in the phone business - just look at Palm, Blackberry, HTC, etc.

I am pulling for Samsung and have always liked them and think they generally made the right move with the S6 (but clearly should have made the S6 1mm thicker for a 3000mAh battery) but their consistent failure to address issues like battery life (which is mostly software related) is, sadly, making me lose the faith after 2 months of owning my S6 with no improvement at all or even a corporate commitment that fixable things like Cell Standby will be resolved soon. Just silence.

They clearly cannot compete with Apple in the high end (that takes real customer service and commitment that Samsung doesn't understand) and are getting squeezed on the low/mid end by some pretty spectacular Chinese models that deliver 90% of the same smartphone experience for 30% of the price. Even I am now considering one as my next phone (that Huawei P8 looks magnificent for the money!).

They are in a tough spot if the early sales reports are true. Their statement 'denying' the Forbes article that S6 sales were 'disastrous' was hardly a denial at all but, in some ways, an acknowledgement that S6 sales are slower than S5 sales were at the same point in time, because the magic number for the S6 was 10 million phones sold in 25 days (Apple did that in one weekend with the 6) and they are just now (40+ days after general release) saying they surpassed the 10 million number.

Can't wait to see what the actual numbers are, though.

Great points with facts. I agree that time and huge competition are not on their side but financially, Samsung can ride this trend out. It will be interesting to see how it does after 5.1.1 and Samsung Pay. Price point may also be one area for Samsung to revisit.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
RIM relied to heavily on enterprise solutions to their detriment. What some have not mentioned is the Samsung offers an enterprise solution in Knox. If they eventually are successful at acquiring RIM, they will have a proprietary communications and enterprise solutions. This will help in the long run as well. Samsung may have been overly ambitious trying to produce a media consumption device and one that provides an enterprise solution. It could also be a good long-term strategy.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

On Verizon the S6 is less expensive than the iPhone 6 at each storage size for full retail. Regardless, I do believe the only way for Samsung to grow sales of its flagship Galaxy S phones at the pace investors demand is to go after some of the iPhone market. A bigger and removable battery would be nice and SD would be nice, but expecting them to focus on a shrinking segment of the market that demands those features isn't reasonable. I will agree that there is pricing pressure in the lower and midrange markets from low cost Chinese manufacturers though, but that just furthers the need to focus on a higher end product. It remains to be seen where the S6 sales will end up, but I think this was the gamble they had to take. They can keep,the SD slot and removable battery in the note as it's a very different customer base.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I am happy for you. You are voting with you wallet but don't buy another car, tv, appliance, laptop, or house. Someone is always adopting features from competitors. Without Palm or RIM, there would be no Apple and without Apple no Android. Why would incorporate a failed feature or try to improve it in a flagship device? Marketing has convinced some that customization and knowing what you want and how uy want is too much effort and responsibility. Here is a device that does it all for you but if you don't like it, too bad. Why did Apple offer a larger screen, NFC, Apple,Pay, or,the Apple,Watch? They have yet to offer wireless charging or rapid charging or dual mobile payment formats or an IR blaster or true multi-tasking. Both Samsung and Apple make great devices and will face a lot of stiff competition going forward. To rush to judgment and repeat talking point does little to further the discussion. It shuts it down. Could you be right? Only time will tell. Let's revisit this next spring prior to the GS7 rumor buildup.

If the galaxy s7 has a better battery life I will go with it and get an ipad. If it doesn't I will get an iPhone seven plus and get an android tablet

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that I would describe Samsung's choices regarding SD cards & removable batteries as copying Apple. Apple never made that switch, the rest of the market sure did though. Aside from LG, the entire market is trying remove away from both items. Samsung seems to be following that curve.

I'm also not sure that I would describe Samsung's alleged lower sales as being in any way related to batteries or storage. That may reduce total sales from 75 million to 74 million - and I think that'd be a HUGE exaggeration, I honestly doubt there are more than 50,000 people that let the inclusion or exclusion of these features sway them, particularly since the majority of the competition also omits these features. There are more total players and more top notch players in the market than ever before. At the top price range, Moto, Google, Samsung, Apple, LG, HTC, etc, etc all have a brilliant offering and there are approximately equal pros and cons among all of them versus all the others. Now that Samsung has three years in a row at being out designed, the market knows about Sammy's competition and realizes that they make a quality product on par or better than Samsung's. That being said, Sammy did improve a lot this year - so did they improve enough to overcome the fact that they're not the only name in the game? That could take a couple of years and it may never happen.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
That was the first Samsung Android device.

Samsung made Windows Mobile devices since 2005. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Windows_Mobile_devices

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

My point was that the Apple is a much more mature ecosystem and has managed to optimize great products. Samsung does need to get on the stick with a new direction, the GS6, and step up their game. They have made a great of progress in a short amount of time. Look at what they accomplished in less than a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2