Why does my S6 randomly shut down after a period of idle?

Butch Jerez

May 26, 2015
Visit site
s6 randomly shuts down after a period of idle. power button doesnt work.

brand new s6. out of the box i plugged it on my laptop while i used smart switch to transfer my contacts. i left it for about 2 hours to charge and found it later dead. power button on right side doesnt work either. i checked the net for the problem and tried some solutions i found. held power and volume down for ten seconds and it booted. good. after an idle of a few hours it is dead again. wash, rinse, repeat. still i used it for a week hoping it will get better. no luck. took it to virgin mobile to have it checked. they sent it the service center. after two weeks it returned. cannot replicate failure. grrr. i took it home. i took a video of it where i charged it noted the time, 3 hours later dead. boot it. videoed. timed it 1.5 hours. dead. boot,videoed,30 minutes dead. called samsung support, asked me what samsung service center i took it. aha. virgin has its own service center. so i have to take it to a proper samsung service center. i have to wait 2 days before samsung will give me instructions. oops the phone is not having the problem anymore, hurrah. next day same problem grrr. still waiting for samsung. now im trawling the net for the same issue. anybody have this problem? please help:(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: s6 randomly shuts down after a period of idle. power button doesnt work.

Welcome to Android Central! That's frustrating. Most wireless stores will just exchange the phone if it's within the first 2 weeks or so of purchase. It's probably too late for this, but try asking Virgin if they can just give you an exchange. Remind them of this gigantic hassle you've been put through for a brand new phone you had purchased through them.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

It also could be the charger and /or cable is bad. Try a different one while you wait for instructions from Samsung and let us know.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rousseau Jerez

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Out of the box I charged it thru my laptop cause I got an s4 and a tab 3 cable always handy. Going to sleep is where I I use the new charger. Same result. One odd thing , the s6 loses more power when it is dead.

Butch Jerez

May 26, 2015
Visit site
so the said phone is sent to samsung service center. after a week it came back with the response: cannot replicate problem. i tested it again, the same problem is present. i called them back again, this time i want a replacement phone. they said that it will be taken to a case manager for assessment. so the phone went back to them. after a week the response came: cannot replicate problem. they want to return the phone to me. i refused. i said that i have a video documenting the problem. they said that send it thru email. the video is around 700 megabytes. yahoomail wont send it. i have to bring the video to the service center an hour drive from my house. let's see what will happen. ill keep posting till i see this issue thru.

Butch Jerez

May 26, 2015
Visit site
service center said they dont accept mobile and tablet anymore. i showed them my videos and they said it is a motherboard problem. i called up samsung and they told me the person at the service center is not a qualified technician. i dont know why they bother to put him in frontdesk of the service center. i told samsung case officer that i posted the whole video at samsung mobile australia facebook page. i told them i took 5 more videos and posted them. all the videos showed the same problem. straight from the courier. i tested the phone without sim, without apps, no internet, no contacts , to eliminate all other software problems. then i let it idle for an hour and half. boom, still the same problem. i really wonder my samsung with all their fancy diagnostic machines and a battalion of highly paid technicians and engineers cannot replicate my problem for the past two months whereas i, an ordinary consumer can do it in less than two hours. okay , so they told me they would send a courier to get it for assessment again. well, hope springs eternal. will keep posting till issue is resolved.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I will be getting s6 tomorrow but this is very discouraging. I feel the pain of OP. I hope everything goes well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisnutt

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I had 2 s6 go back because of this,I'm on third and touch wood good so far.Coincidentally first 2 were on 5.1.1 this ones on 5.0..3 because there's no update available for this one yet wonder if theres any bearing?

Butch Jerez

May 26, 2015
Visit site
finally, samsung called me up and acknowledged that the motherboard and lcd screen has to be replaced. then they will send back the phone to me. i told them a big NO. considering the time, effort, stresses both financially and mentally, i will only accept a brand new phone. will post again what will happen.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

They won't send you a new phone, sorry to say, the best you will get is a refurbished phone that they have on hand.

Posted via the Android Central App

Butch Jerez

May 26, 2015
Visit site

samsung finally admitted that my phone has a faulty motherboard and lcd screen. i received a brand new phone last week wednesday. they even upgraded the phone to 64 gb so i can tell that it is a new one ( the former was 32 gb). they wanted to give me the old repaired phone but i strongly refused. so lessons learned. if you get a bum phone, video the problem. post thru the forums the ongoing process, keep the emails, reference numbers, names of the people you talk to, job order numbers as evidences. and persevere. once they get bad reps then they will do a turnaround. they even apologized to me. darn, i should have asked for a samsung edge. all's well that's ends well. thanks for the replies guys. also for android central, cheers mate.

Butch Jerez

May 26, 2015
Visit site

i forgot to tell you guys. the new 64 gb s6 was superb. runs silky smooth. battery lasts for a day and half of normal use with the screen on full brightness. i noticed that the android version is 5.0.2. it has no problems whatsoever. before, you can see the batt level count down and lasts not even 12 hours of use. so verdict: the s6 lives up to my expectations. 9/10.

1 cossovo_idahota

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I just bot an s6 egde less dan 24hrs old n its a similar problem shuts down randomly...I'm just confused seein dat dis post was in 2015 n I just bot mine.its sad 1 neva hears abt dis issues b4 u decide 2 buy a product.since dis started I've had 2 pore tru d net 4 solution.I did a hard reset as I found on a tech site n it persists. I dnt knw wat 2 do. Do I assume its an lcd n motherboard problem like butch's case n go ahead 2 repair those or hav it looked @ by an expert 1st??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci