Apply some pressure or continue to lose?

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people out there are having battery problems or simply aren't satisfied with the battery to some degree(I'm part of this group). Out of those, who has replaced their S6? Which Carrier/Country? I think returns and possibly numerous complaints are the only true wake up calls for Samsung and these Carriers to get the fixes out and reconsider how they load and badly test these devices only to ruin the user experience in the end. As we prepare for the same old "Better Performance Better Battery Life" dance from Google for the next few months, for now we can focus on frying other fish so to speak. Some may think the issues are being handled in a reasonable amount of time I'd like to hear that point of view as well. Thanks

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I have very high Cell Standby drain that just decimates my battery life. I complained to T-Mobile (U.S.) and they said they forwarded the information to Samsung. I did not return my S6, however, because I am certain it's a software issue (likely Lollipop coupled with something else either T-Mobile or Samsung controls) so a return would have done me no good. I am really hoping the 5.1.1 update resolves it and that it happens soon because I'm going on nearly 2 months of this now.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My 2 cents is if you do not like the battery life as it currently is, you should return it. I would not plan on updates making this so much better that it is worth keeping. Although a nice device, if battery life is critical for your usage, there are other devices out there that would work for you.

I have never run out of battery on any device I have owned so the s6 works for me. If I was running out before the end of the day based on my usage, I would return it with delay.

I think it is interesting that the battery threads are all over the place from horrible to acceptable.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I have very high Cell Standby drain that just decimates my battery life. I complained to T-Mobile (U.S.) and they said they forwarded the information to Samsung. I did not return my S6, however, because I am certain it's a software issue (likely Lollipop coupled with something else either T-Mobile or Samsung controls) so a return would have done me no good. I am really hoping the 5.1.1 update resolves it and that it happens soon because I'm going on nearly 2 months of this now.

Yes 2 months so there should be an update any day now or the returns will continue flow for sure. How much longer are you willing to wait?

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
My 2 cents is if you do not like the battery life as it currently is, you should return it. I would not plan on updates making this so much better that it is worth keeping. Although a nice device, if battery life is critical for your usage, there are other devices out there that would work for you.

I have never run out of battery on any device I have owned so the s6 works for me. If I was running out before the end of the day based on my usage, I would return it with delay.

I think it is interesting that the battery threads are all over the place from horrible to acceptable.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

I could get by with the software in it's current state. However, I do believe it's been proven there's a few different bugs that have a pretty significant impact on battery life and what people can use or how they use the device. Everyone doesn't seem to be experiencing issues but many are.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If you have a T-Mobile phone that is acting up with lag or problems, then it's broken. If, you have excessive battery drain due to any reason and have ultra high cell standby, the phone is more likely hardware broken. At least 2 members have gotten returns and had a 33% battery life increase. (This doesn't mean that a software update is not in order, just that I firmly believe that T-Mobile first big batch had some or most phones that were broken.)

Sure Verizon and Sprint has issues with a single radio. Yes, with Sprint you will only have spark radios and you may have issues if they didn't upgrade your towers in your area. But nobody is having 40 to 60 percent cell standby like on the original batch from T-Mobile.

Get a return or warranty replacement if you are having such issues NOW. Don't wait. Why should you wait? People who have replaced their original phone has gotten better battery life, so why not you?

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I still have my T-Mobile S6 from the early release and I do not see "Cell Standby" anymore. I disabled wifi calling and it has never shown its head again since then.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the pressure should be put on Google more, but really the only way to do that is put pressure on the OEM's so they can pressure Google. Lollipop is a bugged out mess and Google knows it. Between the memory leak that has taken 4 updates to fix, the Google services wakelock issue, and the high cell standby/WiFi drain issues, I'd say more fault goes to Google. There are days where GSam says the Wifi (I'm assuming it means the chip and all that) is pulling down 35% to 40% of the battery with the screen at like 25% to 30%. My M8 did that on Lollipop but not on KitKat. I can only guess WiFi calling sends that into overdrive and that is why T-Mobile and Sprint have it worse.

After Lollipop my M8 was awake nearly all day long, barely got 7 hours of battery life and had high cell standby. Even the Nexus' have had issues with all this. Yeah the S6 has it's issues here and there and yeah I would be fine with an extra millimeter or two to bump the battery up to 3,000 mA or 3,500 mA but like every other 2015 flagship the hardware is fairly solid. I can get pretty strong battery life with my S6 but it could be better, and hopefully will be when Google fixes Lollipop or just jumps to Android M.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
There's definitely some conversation on the website so they're aware of the issues I'm sure.

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/87670?start=0&tstart=0

Yeah - they are aware. I worked with T-Mobile Advanced Technical Support as well.

Best line from the T-Mobile forums was "With VoLTE and Wifi calling, my battery life was horrendous. After turning both off, battery life is simply bad." Pretty much sums up my experience and I've lost some very key features in the process of struggling to get workable battery life with the S6.

Below is another customer on the T-Mobile Forums confirming a fix is being worked on. This clearly affects more than just T-Mobile customers, though, since I see screenshots all over these forums of customers on carriers around the world with very high Cell Standby complaining of battery drain. I do think it's worse on the WiFi calling/VoLTE carriers.

36. Re: What is Causing Cell Standby Battery Drain?
benbrooks Newbie Silver
benbrooks May 5, 2015 6:20 PM (in response to benbrooks)

I've been working with some of the advanced T-Mobile staff and have been informed that the cell standby issue has been recognized by Samsung and T-Mobile and a fix is being worked on. Now when we will get that fix and if that fix works has yet to be determined. I'll post back if I have anymore updates.

Last edited:

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
No matter if it's Google's fault, or the carrier, or some bug, or you have do an elaborate set of tweaks to get some tolerable battery life, don't tolerate it.
It's not your responsibility. They are the seller. You are the customer. Don't let anyone here make you feel it's your responsibility to figure out how to make it work like it should. It's Google/Samsung/Carriers responsibility to give their customers what they pay for.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people out there are having battery problems or simply aren't satisfied with the battery to some degree(I'm part of this group). Out of those, who has replaced their S6? Which Carrier/Country? I think returns and possibly numerous complaints are the only true wake up calls for Samsung and these Carriers to get the fixes out and reconsider how they load and badly test these devices only to ruin the user experience in the end. As we prepare for the same old "Better Performance Better Battery Life" dance from Google for the next few months, for now we can focus on frying other fish so to speak. Some may think the issues are being handled in a reasonable amount of time I'd like to hear that point of view as well. Thanks

I will be getting rid of my S6 here shortly. I can't stand the battery life on this phone. It really bugs me that I have to take time out of my day to get out the ol' battery charger and charge up my phone while I'm working outside. It's a pain in the rear.

I'll either get the G4, S6 Active, or Z3+ (for the waterproofing, of course). I'll deal with the sub-par camera on the Z3+ if it means I'll get better battery life.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I will be getting rid of my S6 here shortly. I can't stand the battery life on this phone. It really bugs me that I have to take time out of my day to get out the ol' battery charger and charge up my phone while I'm working outside. It's a pain in the rear.

I'll either get the G4, S6 Active, or Z3+ (for the waterproofing, of course). I'll deal with the sub-par camera on the Z3+ if it means I'll get better battery life.

If you're not willing to change carriers, and all the phones you listed will be on lollipop, what makes you so sure that you'll have any improvement if this is truly a software only issue?

Btw, if you are reporting having a huge battery life complaint, at least list what carrier you are on for clarity.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you're not willing to change carriers, and all the phones you listed will be on lollipop, what makes you so sure that you'll have any improvement if this is truly a software only issue?

Btw, if you are reporting having a huge battery life complaint, at least list what carrier you are on for clarity.

According to his forum profile he is on AT&T.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
According to his forum profile he is on AT&T.
And that's just it. As long as he's staying on the same carrier and it's definitely software related, he won't have any difference with a new phone. Most issues are lollipop related or just what software you are using, but if on carriers that added some extra software like wifi calling, then that can cause it to. (then there are phones that can appear normal but are really hardware broken, but that's another matter)

Just as a reference, I'm typing in my zenfone 2 and look at my cell standby so far...

3b2c5f587547d7265f409a4a3ce71212.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I could get by with the software in it's current state. However, I do believe it's been proven there's a few different bugs that have a pretty significant impact on battery life and what people can use or how they use the device. Everyone doesn't seem to be experiencing issues but many are.

Agreed. I did not meant it as a take or or leave it proposition. It will get better with updates and refinements. I meant if it is not in the ballpark for you battery wise. I think Samsung has put out some fairly bug free devices lately but may be apps; either carrier or user that for some reason have adversely affected battery life. Also do not underestimate the daily fresh reboot to keep unexplained bugs away!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I am also interested in seeing the full reviews on the G4. Had the G3 last year but returned it in the 2 week trial period. Too many compromises with the QHD screen so interested to see how the G4 stacks up.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung has put out some fairly bug free devices lately
I don't consider a memory leak "bug-free", and Samsung released 3 versions of the OS with a known memory leak. (I've fired programmers for mistakes that weren't as bad as a memory leak.)

Yes, I know, Google wrote the memory leak - but as Google's customer, Samsung should have loudly and publicly rejected 5.0 because of it. Google has no incentive to fix it if the manufacturers just pass the bug on to the end user.

If the end users would have the phones replaced, over and over, until Samsung (and other manufacturers) started bleeding a little red ink, things might change. But sheep just get their throats cut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac