Battery life issue

mrsid2201

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys this is my first post here so please forgive me for any mistakes.

I have a white Samsung galaxy s6 32 gb and I have had it for around 2-3 weeks now and I have slight concerns about the battery life of this phone. I get around 2.5-3 SoT and that is after switching off all the unwanted settings, disabling all the unwanted apps, reducing screen brightness etc.

I have also tried pixel battery saver but that hasn't helped a lot.

Is it possible that this could be because of the lollipop memory leak issue and unwanted usage of ram because I seem to be having this problem.

Is this normal or average battery life or is it possible to get more out of this phone? Should I return it and get a new one because I have heard users getting around 5 hours SoT. Please help me out! Thanks!

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

I have a white Samsung galaxy s6 32 gb and I have had it for around 2-3 weeks now and I have slight concerns about the battery life of this phone. I get around 2.5-3 SoT and that is after switching off all the unwanted settings, disabling all the unwanted apps, reducing screen brightness etc.

Is it possible that this could be because of the lollipop memory leak issue and unwanted usage of ram because I seem to be having this problem.

Is this normal or average battery life or is it possible to get more out of this phone? Should I return it and get a new one because I have heard users getting around 5 hours SoT. Please help me out! Thanks!

3-5 seems to be the range people are getting. It may get better with an update. Posting screenshots of your battery usage could help tell whether you're S6 has one of the known bugs effecting some users. Also, which carrier may help.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
If I just bought a new car and it kept dying on me, I wouldn't go join a forum and ask people how to fix it. I'd take it right back down to the dealership and demand they fix it.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
If I just bought a new car and it kept dying on me, I wouldn't go join a forum and ask people how to fix it. I'd take it right back down to the dealership and demand they fix it.

^ not the best analogy ...

This situation would be more like getting your new car and only getting about 15mpg, and asking other people driving the same car if they were getting similar mpg's, or not ... so you can gauge whether or not there is a problem in the first place, or if the car is operating as designed.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Another battery life issue thread for the S6. I'm shocked. Shocked!!!1111ELEVENS

I have no answers for you, but if you're within your 14 day window, trade the S6 in for the G4.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Another battery life issue thread for the S6. I'm shocked. Shocked!!!1111ELEVENS

I have no answers for you, but if you're within your 14 day window, trade the S6 in for the G4.

Do you ever have anything more to say other than telling people to dump the S6 for the G4? They are both nice phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

And this person will just have the same issues with battery life on the G4 due to most battery life issues are carrier software related.

With that said, if you are complaining of poor battery life or any other issues, it's best to tell us just what carrier you are on because not all S6 are the same. In fact they are all different phones with sometimes different hardware and carrier software added.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit I'm sitting here giggling to myself ... not at anyone in this thread, or anything that's been posted about this type of situation. I just was reading your comments about not all S6's being the same, and never really thought that much about it ... but yes, you are right, and if you really think about it, it's just kinda crazy.

It makes me think of "cordless phones" in a house (assuming people still have land-lines LOL) ... you don't need a specific cordless phone depending on who your telephone provider is. You just buy the phone you like, plug it into the phone line, and you're in business.

It's a crying shame that cellular network service is as chopped up and segregated as it is, that phones have to be made for each carrier. Forget the bloatware etc. I'm just talking about which type of antenna are in the phone ... how many antenna are in the phone ... which "bands" or "channels" they are set up to use ... which features are enabled/disabled ... so on and so forth.

I'm sure there's way more about how all this works than I will ever know ... but man, it's a shame that it's not all just one huge network, and you just go buy a phone - whichever phone you prefer, and plug in your sim card from your preferred carrier - and rock on. It just doesn't seem like you should have to wonder how your version of a phone is going to come equipped ... or when your software will get updated, ... Just give me my phone, and let me use it. I will pay for the network service, and for the data as my carrier says I will (and that I agreed to when I chose said carrier) ... and that's that.

I know i'm just opining pie-in-the-sky ... but one can dream, right?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It makes me think of "cordless phones" in a house (assuming people still have land-lines LOL) ... you don't need a specific cordless phone depending on who your telephone provider is. You just buy the phone you like, plug it into the phone line, and you're in business.

It's a crying shame that cellular network service is as chopped up and segregated as it is, that phones have to be made for each carrier.
A cordless phone is analog - and analog voice is analog voice. s long as the phone can handle about 300-3,000Hz, it can handle everyone's voice.

Cellphones are digital, and there are about 15 different ways to digitize an analog signal (like a voice), and different companies were allied with different chip or technology companies, so we now have 2 totally different cellphone technologies. (You don't need a different phone for each carrier, any unlocked GSM phone that has the right frequency radios will work with any GSM carrier.)

Remember history, though. At one time you couldn't buy whatever phone you wanted - the Bell System gave you a phone and charged you for it every month - for decades. Even if you had your own phone (and it would be an RCA or Stromberg Carlson - Bell instruments weren't for sale), connecting it to Bell's network could get your account closed.

Once the Bell breakup occurred, they weren't about to throw out 75 years of reserch and development and come up with incompatible systems. Burning their money would have been cheaper and easier.

Cellphones? Once the system went digital (back in MTS and IMTS days, anyone could convert any two way radio into a mobile phone and register it), some places went with CDMA, some with GSM (and I'm surprised we don't have P25 systems and a few others - they could really drive us nuts if they wanted to). It was a new technology, so they were free to innovate without throwing out existing systems.

I'm just talking about which type of antenna are in the phone ... how many antenna are in the phone ... which "bands" or "channels" they are set up to use ... which features are enabled/disabled ... so on and so forth.
You can't use the same antenna for GPS, wifi, 700MHz, 2600MHz, etc. unless someone reinvents physics. A quarter wave at different frequencies is different lengths, and there's no simple way to make one antenna cover all the frequencies used, and all the sensitivities needed (GPS signals are much weaker than cellphone signals), without the antenna costing a lot more than 4 or 5 separate antennas.

I'm sure there's way more about how all this works than I will ever know ... but man, it's a shame that it's not all just one huge network, and you just go buy a phone - whichever phone you prefer, and plug in your sim card from your preferred carrier - and rock on. It just doesn't seem like you should have to wonder how your version of a phone is going to come equipped ... or when your software will get updated, ... Just give me my phone, and let me use it. I will pay for the network service, and for the data as my carrier says I will (and that I agreed to when I chose said carrier) ... and that's that.
Well ... for the reason it's not that way - and can't be that way - read the first sentence in your above paragraph. They'd close my account for making a long enough post for you to understand it all - or even to understand what the industry went through from the 60s to the turn of the century. But back when anyone could use any "mobile phone" on any carrier (and that was Bell, except for a few small places way out in the boonies - like Marked Tree Arkansas - loads of people in New York City had phones registered there, because all the NYC numbers were used up), in order to make a call, you could get laryngitis yelling "mobile operator" until you got her to stop yapping with the operator next to her and answer you. IMTS (dialing your own calls) seemed like science fiction. But there were still only 24 channels for any given area - so in just about all of a large city, you couldn't have more than 24 calls being handled at once. (Which was okay - a phone cost about as much as a Chevy, a call was about $1.50/minute - when people thought $10,000/yer was pie in the sky, so not many people were making mobile calls at one time. IMTS increased that to 35 channels, but can you imagine a place like St. Louis being limited to 35 mobile calls at a time?)

Now, even though there may be some problems - your CDMA phone won't work on a GSM carrier, CDMA carrirs won't activate another CDMA carrier's phone, etc., if you want to spend the money, you just dial a number in China and it takes as long to get connected as it takes to get connected to the person standing next to you. And the call quality is just as good. (And the phone fits in your shirt pocket, not in your car trunk.)

I'll take it the way it is now, if the alternative is MTS - or even IMTS.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
@Rukbat ... you just exploded my head LOL.

I do love what we have today ... but as I explained, those of us who do not know how the technology works are left to wonder why we can't just get a phone or our choice, choose a carrier, and rock on. Now, at least I know that it's WAY more complicated than that. Glad I'm not in charge of all that crazy business.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
^ not the best analogy ...

This situation would be more like getting your new car and only getting about 15mpg, and asking other people driving the same car if they were getting similar mpg's, or not ... so you can gauge whether or not there is a problem in the first place, or if the car is operating as designed.

Yes, that makes a better analogy.
I guess i'm just irritated by how much we are willing to put up with in our $700-$1000 purchases. Many people were knee jerking at Samsungs choice to get rid of the swappable battery, then so many here are getting terrible battery life. Thread after Thread. Then you go to the Verizon Site, T-Mobile, etc, and Amazon, and complaint after complaint of battery life.
Then someone comes here frustrated/annoyed over many issues, and some members tell them it's their responsibility - 'No One Told You to Buy this Phone' -
Bull freakin crap!
-
So, yes, your analogy fits better. :)

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that makes a better analogy.
I guess i'm just irritated by how much we are willing to put up with in our $700-$1000 purchases. Many people were knee jerking at Samsungs choice to get rid of the swappable battery, then so many here are getting terrible battery life. Thread after Thread. Then you go to the Verizon Site, T-Mobile, etc, and Amazon, and complaint after complaint of battery life.
Then someone comes here frustrated/annoyed over many issues, and some members tell them it's their responsibility - 'No One Told You to Buy this Phone' -
Bull freakin crap!
-
So, yes, your analogy fits better. :)

I agree with all that. Battery life should be notably better on these phones across the board, even if it meant that Samsung had to put a larger battery in the phone. you are also correct that we shouldn't have to micromanage our settings to get decent battery life. That said, it is what it is. Hopefully the software with the phone will get optimized and at least allow us maximum efficiency out of what we have.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I just noticed we went our own direction with this thread, and never really gave the OP some advice. :)
I guess the one post where the member says he's getting right about expected for battery life answered his question.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

Probably not what you want to hear, but I've had the S6 edge since the Day One T-Mobile pre-release (April 1st) and in nearly 2 months of using the S6, I'm pretty spot on to where your numbers are. I average 12-14 hours on battery with 2.5-3.5 SoT. I have many, many things shut down (Google Now, Location Services, NFC, VoLTE, WiFi calling, haptic feedback, google synching for nearly all services, edge services, all widgets, motion services, etc.) and that is the best I can do. It gets me pretty upset that I have to turn off all of these features just to get one day of battery life out of the S6 (and not even a full day, at that).

I have very high Cell Standby drain (sometimes over 40% in a day) so I'm pretty sure it's related to that and pray every morning when I wake up that T-Mobile will release 5.1.1 in the hopes that it fixes these issues for what is otherwise a spectacular phone.

I monitor some of the other Forums and a lot of phones are getting the battery drain and Cell Standby bug when they are updated to Lollipop 5.0 so I'm pretty convinced this is not an issue unique to the S6 but it's nonetheless really disappointing considering I spent nearly $1,000.00 out of pocket for my phone.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Do you ever have anything more to say other than telling people to dump the S6 for the G4? They are both nice phones.

Yeah, I don't consider a phone "nice" if I have to charge it up by 2 pm when I take it off the charger at 8 am. People need to know the S6 is crap until they fix the battery drain issue.

jdmorin

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Turning off the Allows Allow Scanning on WiFi fixed my Cell Standby issue. It as high. Not anymore. Getting great battery life.

Attachments

• 1432701157663.jpg
    1432701157663.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 51

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I don't consider a phone "nice" if I have to charge it up by 2 pm when I take it off the charger at 8 am. People need to know the S6 is crap until they fix the battery drain issue.

Not everyone has this issue. Averaging 5 to 6 screen on time and 15 hours on a charge with 2 S6 Edges in my home. They've been great. On Verizon. Can't say they're all like that.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Turning off the Allows Allow Scanning on WiFi fixed my Cell Standby issue. It as high. Not anymore. Getting great battery life.

This is one of the only things people really need to turn off that's effecting battery life significantly. I don't know why you would sacrifice using half the features for a few more minutes of screen time. I have this, Gmail sync disabled, no bluetooth and Location set to the Wifi and Mobile setting. I only lose 1% an hour on stand by.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
You're having that issue on T-Mobile, but someone up thread told me "oooooh, it must be carrier specific". I'm on AT&T, BTW. The problem is NOT carrier-specific. It's the phone.

So return it for a non broken one. What's the problem?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs