As Sad As It Makes Me, It's Clear That Samsung Has Lost And Apple Has Won

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Sales are atrocious...worse than the S5 and that wasn't good by any stretch.

This is true and, frankly, very disturbing. Disturbing because the 'cult of Apple' seems to forge ahead like an unstoppable locomotive. It seems to me that Samsung clearly made the better product but the hordes still flock to Apple. I think the prior (minor) hiccups of iphone sales were clearly due to Apple's intransigence on going to larger screen sizes. Once they finally acknowledged and addressed the overwhelming importance of this in the minds of the buying public it was (and continues to be) off to the races. I think what will now have to happen is that Samsung (and others) really have to rethink going head to head with Apple as a manufacturer of 'the premier product.' This has now, by default, been ceded to Apple. Samsung (and others) are going to have to be content to fight it out for second place.

Unless Apple makes a horrendous misstep with the iphone 6S/7/whatever I think there's no shaking them off their perch at the top of the heap.

I will repeat that I think this is a terrible shame as the S6 beats the iphone in pretty much every category (screen, flexibility, speed, camera and even battery life when compared to the iphone 6)...including build quality and aesthetics. But, at the end of the day, it's the buying public who determines the winner(s). And it seems that the public has spoken.

Ziegmund

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Not true. I'm an Apple user - iphone, macbook, ipad. But when I saw Galaxy S6 I decided to give it a try - so ordered it and waiting now. If Samsung could make a better product - hell with brands, I'm going for it. And I know that there are a lot of people out there who buy only "because it is Apple", but still, there are many others. So IF Samsung would be better for me - I would keep the phone. Otherwise in autumn I will check the new Ipone 6S.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Samsung sales are higher than Apple's, aren't they?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Sales are atrocious...worse than the S5 and that wasn't good by any stretch.

This is true and, frankly, very disturbing. Disturbing because the 'cult of Apple' seems to forge ahead like an unstoppable locomotive. It seems to me that Samsung clearly made the better product but the hordes still flock to Apple. I think the prior (minor) hiccups of iphone sales were clearly due to Apple's intransigence on going to larger screen sizes. Once they finally acknowledged and addressed the overwhelming importance of this in the minds of the buying public it was (and continues to be) off to the races. I think what will now have to happen is that Samsung (and others) really have to rethink going head to head with Apple as a manufacturer of 'the premier product.' This has now, by default, been ceded to Apple. Samsung (and others) are going to have to be content to fight it out for second place.

Unless Apple makes a horrendous misstep with the iphone 6S/7/whatever I think there's no shaking them off their perch at the top of the heap.

I will repeat that I think this is a terrible shame as the S6 beats the iphone in pretty much every category (screen, flexibility, speed, camera and even battery life when compared to the iphone 6)...including build quality and aesthetics. But, at the end of the day, it's the buying public who determines the winner(s). And it seems that the public has spoken.

We don't know the exact sales of the s6 yet So we can't say it's atrocious yet.

Posted via the Android Central App

ShannonDavis

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was already determined that the Forbes article was inaccurate and was accused of being iPhone fan boys.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was already determined that the Forbes article was inaccurate and was accused of being iPhone fan boys.

As much as I want to believe that this is just a Forbes hatchet job, the silence/"no comment" from Samsung is very telling.

Samsung may (unjustifiably) have to accept second tier status and fight it out for dominance in that segment.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
People speak with their money. It shouldn't make you sad that so many choose to spend their money on Apple gear, myself included. The iphone is a very capable device(s) and I enjoy my 6+ and my S6.

As a shareholder of apple and google, I love both companies!

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Android as an OS will always have a greater market share because there like 300 different android phones from low end to high end and every carrier no matter how big or small has android phones in its line up. But the iPhone is still the most popular phone in the world and thats not going to change anytime soon.

Exactly what I was trying to say!

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
As much as I want to believe that this is just a Forbes hatchet job, the silence/"no comment" from Samsung is very telling.

Samsung may (unjustifiably) have to accept second tier status and fight it out for dominance in that segment.

You do understand that you are talking about the global leader in the cell phone industry, right? Higher than Apple by a few percentile. Second tier what?

www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

The market is drastically changing. Just wait till mommy and daddy stop buying little Tommy his flagship devices. Everybody is gonna crash hard. I'm testing a $300 phone right now that will sell to plenty of young consumers that just don't understand why they should spend $700 or $800 on a cell phone while working 2 part time jobs that pay no more than min and have school loans to pay off.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
It is sad really because the S6 was Samsung's best phone to date by far but its extremely difficult to covert long time iPhone users no matter how good the S6 specs are on paper. I have friends that use iPhone that wont even look at an android phone. I show them what the S6 can do and all the features it has and they just dont care. The most I get is "oh thats cool" but thats not enough to make them switch. My sister picked up my S6 the other day and was totally lost. She couldnt navigate the homescreens, the menus, etc. She said to me and this were her exact words "I dont see how ppl can use phones like these". And thats how most iPhone owners feel about Android. Me being a tech geek I like to try out new things so I was open minded to it but I can definitely see why iPhone users stick with what they know and love.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A few points here:

1. There is no contest to win. The name of the game is to make money.
2. Neither company is trying to change the world with their devices and the success of one doesn't come at the expense of another. This isn't zero sum. Over 60% of the population still isn't connected to mobile. There is still plenty of room to forge new markets.
3. I'm not convinced anyone at all should care who has the more popular device. Your S6 is probably more popular than my Moto X, but I love my Moto X and I would absolutely hate having an S6. Personal choice is more important than the herd. I'm assuming you're happier with your S6 than you would be with a Moto X, otherwise you wasted a heck of a lot of money.
4. This isn't a religion or cult, there is no need to try to convert people. I realize most of us are enthusiasts and some clearly prefer one OS over another. That's fine, get excited, have fun - but at the end of the day, if someone else is enjoying their not-your-favorite-device, the enjoyment is the key idea, not the device. I too want to share what I'm excited about, but there is definitely no validity in a debate to have or any war to win.
5. Even if there were a contest, neither Apple nor Samsung release their sales figures to the public with any regularity. Forbes' author didn't present a single fact. There is a lot of conjecture and rumor, but no hard evidence of anything. He does complain and speculate about features and whether or not they hurt sales (hint: they don't) - and forgets to do two things: 1. compare the presumed performance to the market and 2. recognize how freaking huge Samsung's sales still are. There is nothing "disastrous", "disturbing" or "abysmal" going on here. 100% FUD.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
What's ticking me off is the fanboiz.
Phones are now close to $1000.
The fanboiz keep praising and defending, and the carriers/Mfg's are laughing all the way to the bank.
We have got to quit drinking down their coolaid.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Why are you comparing an OS (Android) against a device (iPhone) in market shares. If you want a fair comparison, compare OS with OS. Android vs iOS which means all iPhones, iPods, iPads and now Apple Watch.

Once Samsung switches to Tizen, Android market share will take a big hit because Samsung is the #1 smartphone maker worldwide.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon