Can't find a downloaded file. Where can it be?

A

AC Question

Can't find a downloaded file.

Cannot find a my files folder or app. Have looked in settings. Downloaded a file and don't know where it went on my new S6.

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't find a downloaded file.

Check the Play Store for a free File Manager app. You should be able to navigate most of the phone's file system to locate the downloaded file using it.

-# Cheers! #-

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Most things downloaded are in the "Downloads" folder within the phone. Use a File Explorer app to navigate to that folder. You can use "My Files" app to do this

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

look ... there is already a file explorer built into these phones ... "my files" in the app drawer. Just open it up, then hit "search" at the top ... type in the name of the file, or part of the name ... let it search, then select that file and move it to whatever folder you want it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don inn

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site

1) go to settings
2) scroll down to Device
3) click on Applications
4) app manager for everything (like My Files) and default apps for factory defaulting apps

Denny Douglas

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
look ... there is already a file explorer built into these phones ... "my files" in the app drawer. Just open it up, then hit "search" at the top ... type in the name of the file, or part of the name ... let it search, then select that file and move it to whatever folder you want it in.

This is not the case on my Verizon S6. I don't see the icon, nor is the My Files app listed in Applications>Application Manager. Is it possible that my carrier removed it?

Brock Friedman

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Cannot find a my files folder or app. Have looked in settings. Downloaded a file and don't know where it went on my new S6.

Here is there real answer to your question, I had the same issue when I got my s6. The files folder does exist. The structure changed so you would have to dig BUT I ALREADY HAVE, there is a folder called Samsung that is a default for the s6, as long as you have made no changes, it lies right next to the Google folder that has Google drive, gmail,ect. All you need to do on s6 is tap your apps button then you will see folders. Look for samsung, tap it and you will see the file folder. Simple. Good luck

DrCroland

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site

Hey, I would like to pass on a hot tip. I too was having this problem on my Lenovo S8-50 tablet, and it was absolutely maddening... Some time ago I installed a free utility on it called "ES File Explorer" which organizes your folders, files, etc in a system similar to Windows and makes them searchable. I discovered that if I simply do a "Search" within that utility for the missing file, it will be found, but that the file typically may have been sidetracked to a weird location like "storage/emulated/0/android/data/" on route to its destination; in any case, once located, it can merely be copied from there to a more normal location where you can easily access it.

occrazy

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
nothing from play store seems to go into download

even when u put the name into search it doesn't find it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
nothing from play store seems to go into download

even when u put the name into search it doesn't find it

Welcome to Android Central! When you install an app from the Play Store, the app gets installed -- you don't see where the initial installer file downloaded.

Or are you talking about media, like music, movies, or books?