Facebook and Messenger draining battery when not used at all

Do the Facebook and/or Messenger apps cause you noticeable battery drain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
There are days where I may not have opened Facebook or Messenger at all, yet when my phone winds down to the 33% remaining battery range these two apps will both be anywhere from 7-10%. I'll specifically kill the processes after I do use them, but this proves to be futile. I've went as far as paying for Greenify to automated the hibernation of these apps, yet within a minute they wake themselves back up.

For now I've disabled both apps just for the sake of seeing if battery life is improved. I cannot understand why the apps constantly begin the processes after I have force stopped them. Even if I am no longer able to get notifications from these apps without them running in the background, I could live with that easier than I can live with them draining 15+% of my battery when I'm not even using them. Heck, I kill WhatsApp's process after using it, and they stay off until I open the app or receive a message - and I also instantly receive notifications when messaged despite the process not running. This makes the Facebook drain even more frustrating.

Friends who have the S6 have absolutely no issue with these apps draining battery, and I'm not seeing any real issues with them on here. If anybody has any advice on what to do here I'd appreciate it, as having to disable the FB and Messenger apps is a bit extreme.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you staying signed into facebook? I always sign out and it basically puts that app down -- only can work once I sign in and want to use it.

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Are you staying signed into facebook? I always sign out and it basically puts that app down -- only can work once I sign in and want to use it.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I know signing out will have no bearing on the process reawakening itself, but hopefully that will have an effect on the battery drain.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
What carrier are you on? I'd be curious of there it's a carrier specific issue or if it's across the board. Luckily I'm not having that issue.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Also an idea:
Settings - Accounts - Facebook - Click your account - Disable syncing (that's if you have contacts syncing)

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently at 71%, having been on battery for nearly 10 hours. Messenger and Facebook, despite having used neither today, have each used 3%. That does seem a bit crazy.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's background processes, Spotify is also the same. I don't k ow you can root the s6 but if you can do so and install greenify.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Facebook and Messenger has been battery hog since lollipop update. I have disabled sync and restrict data sync when on mobile data. No more battery drain.

SM-G920F with Tapatalk

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
What carrier are you on? I'd be curious of there it's a carrier specific issue or if it's across the board. Luckily I'm not having that issue.

Cricket. Friends who aren't having problems with Facebook are on ATT.

Also an idea:
Settings - Accounts - Facebook - Click your account - Disable syncing (that's if you have contacts syncing)

Thanks, I've went and disabled all mobile push notifications to see if that helps as I have contact syncing off already. Hopefully that will stop FB a from actively checking for anything.

I'm currently at 71%, having been on battery for nearly 10 hours. Messenger and Facebook, despite having used neither today, have each used 3%. That does seem a bit crazy.

Ah, well that sucks that you're having to deal with it too.

It's background processes, Spotify is also the same. I don't k ow you can root the s6 but if you can do so and install greenify.

Yeah I don't know how to keep the processes killed. I have Greenify donation edition, and I have FB and Messenger on the hibernate list, but literally within 30 seconds or less from executing hibernation the processes come right back on. Why the heck does it work like this? I tried hibernating Hangouts for a bit and it stayed off, WhatsApp as well, and they do not come back on until I open the app or receive a message notification (still get these instantly with the app processes deaded).

Facebook and Messenger has been battery hog since lollipop update. I have disabled sync and restrict data sync when on mobile data. No more battery drain.

SM-G920F with Tapatalk

Glad to know. I'm not sure if you mean contacts sync or push notifications, but I've disabled all push notifications and hope that will do something.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I can report that:

I'm on AT&T.

I don't use Facebook or Messenger, and I have never even launched them, ever.

And I never see them in the battery usage list.

FWIW.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I don't know how to keep the processes killed. I have Greenify donation edition, and I have FB and Messenger on the hibernate list, but literally within 30 seconds or less from executing hibernation the processes come right back on. Why the heck does it work like this? I tried hibernating Hangouts for a bit and it stayed off, WhatsApp as well, and they do not come back on until I open the app or receive a message notification (still get these instantly with the app processes deaded).
Hibernate just Facebook wont help. Since any app that using Facebook (for login etc...) will wake facebook up and Messenger at same time. So u got to hibernate all facebook and all that have connection to Facebook. (thats a lot)

Glad to know. I'm not sure if you mean contacts sync or push notifications, but I've disabled all push notifications and hope that will do something.
In settings . Accounts - Faceboook I disabled sync there and under datausages settings restrict Facebook. Also in App settings, I unchecked Show notifications.
Since I dont use Facebook at all, just have it because others apps required to have Facebook to create account or use it as login.

With mine girlfriend Moto G, that damn app drains her phone from 100% - 0% within 3H and when she came home. I checked that Facebook was 98% active, even she never opened facebook, or use it and just have it installed to create LINE account. I removed it right away and her Moto G back to superb batterylife.

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Just dropping back in to report that I stopped the Facebook process about four hours ago and it has not restarted since!

I went to Account Settings -> Notifications -> Mobile Push and disabled everything in there. What I did not disable is notifications in App Settings. I was wondering if disabling this would literally make it so that I could not see notifications at all, as in even when I open the app and actually have notifications they will not show. Judging by the toggles within there, it seems that this specifically pertains to push notifications, and perhaps disabling notifications from there would be equivalent to disabling them in the manner that I did.

Regardless, my battery has barely budged since stopping the FB process and only using my phone to respond to messages. FB has not showed up on the list of top battery drainers. I am extremely happy to not have to disable the FB app or log out of it after every time I use it. I still have not reinstalled the Messenger app and will be interested to see how FB messages work through the FB app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang