OK Google from any screen fixed

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It seems with the new Google Play Services update we got back the OK Google option from any screen.

Attachments

• 1095.jpg
    1095.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 162

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Yep, still missing from mine. Kinda irritating considering it works on my Nexus 7, and was working on my M8 before I traded it in yesterday for the S6.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
S6, 64gb version on AT&T ... I have version 7.5.71 (1955121-440) of G-Play Services installed/running ... the ONLY option I have for the "OK Google detection" thing is the option turn on/off the "OK Google from the google app".

Now, I'm using Nova so I have the "OK Google" detection from any screen turned on in Nova, so it works fine for me anywhere except when inside an app. But, I'm still looking forward to having the actual settings for it where they should be, for if I was not running Nova to overcome this goofy situation.

EDIT: I just uninstalled all updates to the G-Play services, taking it back to whatever it was upon release of my phone ... then updated it again back to 7.5.71 ... and I'm still where I was a moment ago - only having the "from google now" option.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think there is a bug in it that you have to turn it (the toggle at the top- ) off and on again to see the from any screen settings. I think that was the case for me. I am not using it but have the settings.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I think there is a bug in it that you have to turn it (the toggle at the top- ) off and on again to see the from any screen settings. I think that was the case for me. I am not using it but have the settings.

I tried toggling it on/off (see below for the only option I have for "ok google voice detection" ... and nothing changed. I guess it's either still a bug, or the AT&T phones are not enabled with these settings ... I noticed that fritzo81's screenshot above looks to be a verizon phone, so that may explain some of it.

Screenshot_2015-05-29-14-38-12.png

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is mine on my T-Mobile S6 (32 GB) -- Google Play Services is 7.5.71

Attachments

• 1432929039468.jpg
    1432929039468.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 48

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I tried toggling it on/off (see below for the only option I have for "ok google voice detection" ... and nothing changed. I guess it's either still a bug, or the AT&T phones are not enabled with these settings ... I noticed that fritzo81's screenshot above looks to be a verizon phone, so that may explain some of it.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m528/wiggum333/Screenshot_2015-05-29-14-38-12.png

I'm on Verizon and I have version 7.5.71 and I don't get the option either. I tried turning it off and back on again.

Screenshot_2015-05-29-14-45-20.jpg

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
@Almeuit ... I see you're on T-Mob ...

So, we have one on Verizon, and one on T-Mob ... both working now.

We have me, on the other hand ... AT&T ... not working.

(frown)

EDIT: I wonder if having Nova installed - which has it's own "Ok Google" options in it - is causing any issues with the main phone settings??? I'm doubting it, but just trying to think out of the box as to why mine would not be offering me all the settings, if it's NOT an AT&T thing ...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m528/wiggum333/Screenshot_2015-05-29-14-38-12.png

I have an att model and have the setting to ok google from any screen. I cannot remember what it was but you have to do an additional step to get it working.

Screenshot_2015-05-29-14-56-26.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: I wonder if having Nova installed - which has it's own "Ok Google" options in it - is causing any issues with the main phone settings??? I'm doubting it, but just trying to think out of the box as to why mine would not be offering me all the settings, if it's NOT an AT&T thing ...

It shouldn't be. I am also using Nova Prime.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Well if either/any of you remember whatever the sequence of events is that you had to go through to get it working as it should, please let us know. I have gone through my phone's settings, and the settings for the Google app, and can't find anything in there that would get this thing going right. I was flipping things on/off in both, just to see if it would work ... but the OK Google settings for me are not changing ... still only getting the "from the google app" option.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well if either/any of you remember whatever the sequence of events is that you had to go through to get it working as it should, please let us know. I have gone through my phone's settings, and the settings for the Google app, and can't find anything in there that would get this thing going right. I was flipping things on/off in both, just to see if it would work ... but the OK Google settings for me are not changing ... still only getting the "from the google app" option.

I can say for me I didn't do anything -- I just checked the settings and it was there haha :D.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I know this sounds crazy but it was something like this and then turn off and then back on:

All you need to do is open a Google Search box and type in: ''Ok Google everyhere''. That's it. Once you've searched for that phrase (or ''unleash the Google'' if the first phrase didn't work) then you will have access to the Ok Google from any screen settings. Honestly. Now you just need to open your Google Settings app (the grey icon with a G and cog in your app drawer). You need to have Audio History enabled in your Voice Settings and for now you must be using US English.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I know this sounds crazy but it was something like this and then turn off and then back on:

All you need to do is open a Google Search box and type in: ''Ok Google everyhere''. That's it. Once you've searched for that phrase (or ''unleash the Google'' if the first phrase didn't work) then you will have access to the Ok Google from any screen settings. Honestly. Now you just need to open your Google Settings app (the grey icon with a G and cog in your app drawer). You need to have Audio History enabled in your Voice Settings and for now you must be using US English.

HOLY CRAP! That worked! All I did was long-press the home button to call up my Google App ... then typed in the search bar "ok google everywhere" ... let it search, and didn't even touch/tap a single search result. I just closed the app, went back into my phone settings, and checked the OK Google thing ... and now it's all there ... see image below:

Screenshot_2015-05-29-15-15-33.png

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have an att model and have the setting to ok google from any screen. I cannot remember what it was but you have to do an additional step to get it working.

I am on AT&T as well and just reactivated the from any page feature - no extra steps. The unlock by voice is brand new I think? Don't remember seeing that before.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Worked for me on AT&T, thx

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463