Sound level when calling is too low, how can I get the volume up?

A

AC Question

Sound level when calling is too low

I know, I'm the (second to) last person on earth still using a phone to actually communicate by calling someone. However, when I do on my newly purchased Samsung Galaxy S6, the volume is way too low to be able to understand anything. If I don't have any noise around me, it's fine, otherwise not. I have the volume all up. I tried this Volume+ app here: androidcentral.com/crank-your-volume-11-volume
but it wouldn't change anything in the volume level.

Are there any solutions to this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sound level when calling is too low

Welcome to Android Central! How's the volume when using speakerphone or wired/Bluetooth headphones? Can you compare your S6 with another one, to see if it might be a hardware defect?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I know, I'm the (second to) last person on earth still using a phone to actually communicate by calling someone.
So you're the other one! I thought I was the only one. :)

However, when I do on my newly purchased Samsung Galaxy S6, the volume is way too low to be able to understand anything. If I don't have any noise around me, it's fine, otherwise not. I have the volume all up. I tried this Volume+ app here: androidcentral.com/crank-your-volume-11-volume
but it wouldn't change anything in the volume level.

Are there any solutions to this?
My solution to a new phone not working is to have it replaced - and in a situation like this, check it out in the store before saying goodbye to the rep. If the replacement is low, hand it back and ask for another one. If you go through their entire stock of S6s, maybe they'll have someone in corporate complain to Samsung, and Samsung will actually check the phones before shipping them.

I say it's time to stop accepting junk and having to pay for it. You give me a free phone and service? I'll take what I get. I pay for it? You give me what I'm entitled to, if it costs you the entire factory output for a year - you decided to make junk, you eat it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

So you're the other one! I thought I was the only one. :)

My solution to a new phone not working is to have it replaced - and in a situation like this, check it out in the store before saying goodbye to the rep. If the replacement is low, hand it back and ask for another one. If you go through their entire stock of S6s, maybe they'll have someone in corporate complain to Samsung, and Samsung will actually check the phones before shipping them.

I say it's time to stop accepting junk and having to pay for it. You give me a free phone and service? I'll take what I get. I pay for it? You give me what I'm entitled to, if it costs you the entire factory output for a year - you decided to make junk, you eat it.

Whether you pre-order or buy any device from a corporate store, authorized dealer, or nix box store, always test out the device before you leave to mitigate all,the hassle of trying to resolve issues that may arise.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Or just plug that sucka into a boom box and you'll be good to go :)

Posted via the Android Central App

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm having the some issue. I've looked for the in-call volume boost, but I haven't spotted it. Anyone resolve this yet.

BTW, I've used my phone with BT headphones, car speaker, wired ear buds, and BT speakers. The volume is MUCH lower than my S3 on all these devices. Very disappointing.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm having the some issue. I've looked for the in-call volume boost, but I haven't spotted it. Anyone resolve this yet.

BTW, I've used my phone with BT headphones, car speaker, wired ear buds, and BT speakers. The volume is MUCH lower than my S3 on all these devices. Very disappointing.

On the phone dialer app when connected to a call, you'll have 6 icons. In the middle of the top row is the extra volume button.

You can also hit your volume up button and when the volume box appears on screen, tap the gear button on the right. Slide all volume levels up to max. Of you restart your phone though, it will reset and you'll have to do it again.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site

I finally found the "extra volume" button, but it wasn't on the main screen. On my phone, I had to got into the settings menu during the call and hit "turn on extra volume." As soon as the call was done, this turned off again. Very frustrating.

debgram

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't find a extra volume icon anywhere. I have the Bluetooth icon in the middle with the 6 icons and no option during call in settings either.Help

Bucks_UK

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm deaf in one ear and still have issues with the sound with an earphone bud directly into the good one with obviously no sound coming into the other ear.

I did find the extra volume button, but I use headphones on some calls and you don't have this option.

Samsung seem to allow a lot of "stuff" to be configured on their phones and luckily this is one. This link tells you how to configure the in ear sound:

How to Personalize Sound Quality for Headphones on Your Galaxy S6 « Samsung Galaxy S6

enjoy! ;)

21bk21

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I feel you on the phone volume issues while dialing out. I have a brand new Samsung S7 (3rd replacement from Tmobile thru insurance) My other phones that i went thru 3 of them were the Samsung S4. With this new Samsung S7 they gave me , i was really happy and surprised . The only issue albeit a huge issue is when I call out on speaker phone I get a really low call volume I can barely even hear. On some calls to my friend( she is the only one and we have Tmobile) , often she answers the call but I can't hear her talk at all , so that is actually a second very huge issue . Please help if you can , I am ready to give up on Samsung all together and buy an Apple Iphone ! I don't hr any of my friends complaining about any of these issues . Thanks very much for all the help and I hope all of you on here having problems with their phones get them resolved.

TEXGUY33

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site

On the phone dialer app when connected to a call, you'll have 6 icons. In the middle of the top row is the extra volume button.

You can also hit your volume up button and when the volume box appears on screen, tap the gear button on the right. Slide all volume levels up to max. Of you restart your phone though, it will reset and you'll have to do it again.

My S5 does not show that when I'm connected. I have Add Call, Keypad and Bluetooth on the top row...Speaker, Phone and Mute on the bottom.

londonmale

Jun 24, 2020
Visit site

It can be caused by dust build-up on the earpiece.
Take a toothbrush/or the end of a paperclip, and lightly brush it side to side on the earpiece - the thin horizontal mesh set into the phone.
The dust should be dislodged.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

It can be caused by dust build-up on the earpiece.
Take a toothbrush/or the end of a paperclip, and lightly brush it side to side on the earpiece - the thin horizontal mesh set into the phone.
The dust should be dislodged.
Don't know if you noticed but this a very old thread.

Welcome to AC!