Upgrading to S6

Ronan1287

May 16, 2015
Visit site
So I recently purchased a T-Mobile Galaxy S5... Pretty good phone. I wouldn't say great. I wanted the S6 or the S6 Edge originally but the deal I got for the S5 at the time coupled with the removal battery changed my mind.

One thing that really gripes me about the S5 is the speaker... The speaker on the back is horribly low and quiet. My wife's old Samsung Galaxy Light phone has a louder speaker than this thing does. Any issues with that on the S6?

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to go with the S6 instead of the S5? Is the battery life really as horrible as a lot of people complain?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
So I recently purchased a T-Mobile Galaxy S5... Pretty good phone. I wouldn't say great. I wanted the S6 or the S6 Edge originally but the deal I got for the S5 at the time coupled with the removal battery changed my mind.

One thing that really gripes me about the S5 is the speaker... The speaker on the back is horribly low and quiet. My wife's old Samsung Galaxy Light phone has a louder speaker than this thing does. Any issues with that on the S6?

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to go with the S6 instead of the S5? Is the battery life really as horrible as a lot of people complain?
Battery life at least for me, on AT&T, is better than my wife's GS4 and slightly better than my Dads GS5.

The speed and performance will impress you as well as how smooth it is. Wireless charging and rapid charging are awesome. Camera is great. TouchWiz is slimmed down that a third party launcher is an option not required as the UI footprint is much smaller. You can disable bloat or download it only if you want it. Premium materials are solid and awesome. Can't wait for Samsung Pay with tap n go and MST. The GS6 is what the GS5 should have been.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

The speaker is well.... A speaker. Nothing special. It does get loud enough to hear but distorts at high volume. But since it's on the bottom instead of on the back, it can be heard better no matter your orientation to the phone.

Battery life for some has been great but most of them never used a note 4 before. If they had, this would be the worst battery in the world! But like I said, it's been great for some. Others not so much. For me, it's less than stellar but I'm getting used to it. Ymmv though! For you, it might be stellar and nothing to complain about!

Posted via the Android Central App

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Never dealt with the s5, I came from the s4 to the s6, but the speaker isn't all that great if you are looking for good quality. It can get pretty tinny sounding and it's located on the very bottom next to the charging/USB port. With no case, or a slim case it's very easy to cover up the speaker ports and when you do, you'll know... Now I don't have this problem with my Defender otterbox.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Give and take. Touchjizz blows on whatever you get. If battery is a big deal for you then get the s5 so you can swap battery's. If the camera is a big deal then the s6 is the one. A good launcher will fix a host of samsumgs slow downs.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I hated the speaker on the s5 also because it wasn't loud enough for me. The s6 is definitely louder. Idc about sound quality I just want it loud.

Ronan1287

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Well the audio on the S5 is pretty good and clear if you ask me, just very quiet. I did notice the s6 is also very smooth. I'd love to have the s6 edge but I don't think I can see myself paying 700+ dollars for a phone

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The speaker is well.... A speaker. Nothing special. It does get loud enough to hear but distorts at high volume. But since it's on the bottom instead of on the back, it can be heard better no matter your orientation to the phone.

Battery life for some has been great but most of them never used a note 4 before. If they had, this would be the worst battery in the world! But like I said, it's been great for some. Others not so much. For me, it's less than stellar but I'm getting used to it. Ymmv though! For you, it might be stellar and nothing to complain about!

Sorry man but yes, I had a Note 4 before, back in December, just had it for 10 days as I didn't like it that much, too similar to the S5 with just different materials and larger screen size (never used the S Pen). So having said that, battery was very good but not as good as the Sony Xperia Z3 I had before it which gave me an average of 7 hours of SoT on weekdays and an incredible 8+ hours of SoT on Weekends.

Yes, it lasted more than what I'm getting on my S6 edge but simply because of the larger battery, both set the same, and obviously my S6 edge not having any battery drain bug, I've been getting 5.25-5.5 hours SoT on weekdays with Bluetooth on all day connected to my Android wear where my Note 4 was giving me 6 hours, and on weekends I've been getting over 6 hours SoT since day 1, averaging about 6.5 (No Bluetooth or Android wear "most" of the day) where my note 4 was giving me 7 hours SoT on average. Both with same settings and apps.

So like I said above, yes, battery last longer but not for that much even when the battery is considerable larger. Of course YMMV, and if you have a battery drain bug difference is a lot bigger but not in my case.

Don't have or can't find my Note 4 Screenshots, but Z3 was better, believe me, so see how does my S6 edge compares with the undisputed battery champion Sony Xperia Z3.

Z3 on Weekdays:

Screenshot_2014-11-05-22-30-44.png Screenshot_2014-11-05-22-30-27.png

S6 edge weekdays:

Screenshot_2015-04-18-22-58-59.png Screenshot_2015-04-18-22-58-48.png

Z3 weekend:

Screenshot_2014-10-07-21-46-28.png Screenshot_2014-10-07-21-46-06.png

S6 edge weekend (latest screenshot was 5/19 Tuesday, but I stayed at home sick, just like a weekend).

Screenshot_2015-05-19-21-54-36.png Screenshot_2015-05-19-21-54-26.png

Last edited:

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Battery isn't as good as my M8 was, but the camera and speed make up for it. Display, too. As fast as it charges, it's no big deal for me. It'll make it a year, and then I'll get something else.

Posted via Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry man but yes, I had a Note 4 before, back in December, just had it for 10 days as I didn't like it that much, too similar to the S5 with just different materials and larger screen size (never used the S Pen). So having said that, battery was very good but not as good as the Sony Xperia Z3 I had before it which gave me an average of 7 hours of SoT on weekdays and an incredible 8+ hours of SoT on Weekends.

Yes, it lasted more than what I'm getting on my S6 edge but simply because of the larger battery, both set the same, and obviously my S6 edge not having any battery drain bug, I've been getting 5.25-5.5 hours SoT on weekdays with Bluetooth on all day connected to my Android wear where my Note 4 was giving me 6 hours, and on weekends I've been getting over 6 hours SoT since day 1, averaging about 6.5 (No Bluetooth or Android wear "most" of the day) where my note 4 was giving me 7 hours SoT on average. Both with same settings and apps.

So like I said above, yes, battery last longer but not for that much even when the battery is considerable larger. Of course YMMV, and if you have a battery drain bug difference is a lot bigger but not in my case.

Don't have or can't find my Note 4 Screenshots, but Z3 was better, believe me, so see how does my S6 edge compares with the undisputed battery champion Sony Xperia Z3.

Z3 on Weekdays:

View attachment 178933 View attachment 178943

S6 edge weekdays:

View attachment 178937 View attachment 178938

Z3 weekend:

View attachment 178939 View attachment 178940

S6 edge weekend (latest screenshot was 5/19 Tuesday, but I stayed at home sick, just like a weekend).

View attachment 178941 View attachment 178942

You're one lucky SOB! :)

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
S6 is awesome, the screen and camera are #1. Touchwizz is a little erratic but nova launcher will fix most issues. The speaker is pretty mediocre, but I'm coming from the m7 which had the best speakers. Concerning the Battery life, you will hear mixed results, personally I expected a lot more, but the issue seems to stem from a mix of lollipop and WiFi issues, results also vary from the apps you use to the carrier you choose.

dreaming of electric sheep

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

The battery life sucks on the S6. Yesterday, I got my best screen on time of 3 hours, 12 minutes. I'll be selling my S6 on Friday for the G4. If you want a current generation phone that's awesome, go with the G4.

Or stick with your S5.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Give and take. Touchjizz blows on whatever you get. .

I have used an S4 and S5, I own an S6 and touch wiz is much better on S6...I hated TW in past but with the S6 I actually prefer it to other launchers.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have used an S4 and S5, I own an S6 and touch wiz is much better on S6...I hated TW in past but with the S6 I actually prefer it to other launchers.

Coming from the GS4, TouchWiz is hugely improved. The device is defiant ill future proof as it is one that you could easily see yourself using for two years. The GS5 doesn't have the same feel which is why I passed on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon