New Google Photos app or Google+

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
To backup pics? I haven't installed the new app yet, I'm still researching the differences and trying to figure out what to do.

Anyone here try it out yet and if so would it be beneficial to switch if I don't actually use G+ for anything but saving pics?

Posted via the Android Central App

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
To backup pics? I haven't installed the new app yet, I'm still researching the differences and trying to figure out what to do.

Anyone here try it out yet and if so would it be beneficial to switch if I don't actually use G+ for anything but saving pics?

Dropbox

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I use it and it's great. It's like a gallery app on steroids. It's beneficial.

I stopped using Dropbox when they took my 75 gig promo away.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Google photos is great and free. Just make sure you select the unlimited high res option for free uploads and in the sync settings choose only upload on Wi-Fi and only when plugged in to a charger, to save battery and excess data.

dreaming of electric sheep

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm really liking the new Google Photos app. Very fast, clean, easy to use and unlimited photo and video storage sounds great to me.

They compress the images, but they still look really good and quite close to the original.

Sent from my SM-G920I

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The new Google photos app replaces auto backup with Google+.
Same service, just a different way of going about it.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I've avoided Google Plus photo backups since inception and in short, it sucks. Go with the new Photos. It's what I've been waiting forever for. It's what they should have done since the start.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've avoided Google Plus photo backups since inception and in short, it sucks. Go with the new Photos. It's what I've been waiting forever for. It's what they should have done since the start.
It's the same backup system. The only thing different is the image analysis once it's backed up. How can one suck and the other be great?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
It's the same backup system. The only thing different is the image analysis once it's backed up. How can one suck and the other be great?

It's not tethered to G+ anymore, that's the difference. A photo backup cloud shouldn't have ever been tied to a social network platform.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The new Google photos app replaces auto backup with Google+.
Same service, just a different way of going about it.

Well that's just it, it hasn't replaced it. Google+ auto backup is still working and I'd have to install the new photos app. I really don't think I want to sync to both...

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Although the download isn't working for some reason. I installed it like an hour ago and started the download... It's still sitting at the first one, on Wi-Fi lol. Come on Google.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Although the download isn't working for some reason. I installed it like an hour ago and started the download... It's still sitting at the first one, on Wi-Fi lol. Come on Google.

Hit us back with more feedback.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
As great as Google Photos might be, I want my original photos. Rather than sacrifice even a little quality, I'm sticking with my 130GB of OneDrive storage.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hit us back with more feedback.

Ok it downloaded everything over night and it's all like it should be now.
A funny thing happened when I installed it though, now there's no photos on my
G+, which is fine, but interesting.

One thing I'm curious about I'd if I need to download and the new Google Photos app on my pc. I'll have to read up more.

I'm also using OneDrive as Google+ auto backup stopped working about 3 weeks ago.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Dropbox

So I used to love Dropbox, but lately it's been flakey. My wife changed some documents on my computer on Dropbox, but they never synced with my phone. Very frustrating. So now I don't trust it. Plus in order to backup photos I'd have to pay for more storage. The free option doesn't give enough.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
As great as Google Photos might be, I want my original photos. Rather than sacrifice even a little quality, I'm sticking with my 130GB of OneDrive storage.
Well since it is free why not just use both? The automated image analysis which comes to light in the search functionality is stellar. I'll keep my original photos going to Dropbox and gladly push a compressed version to this service for the image analysis alone.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Well since it is free why not just use both? The automated image analysis which comes to light in the search functionality is stellar. I'll keep my original photos going to Dropbox and gladly push a compressed version to this service for the image analysis alone.

Good question. I just might. I used to have Dropbox, Copy, OneDrive, Flickr, Facebook and Google+. Talk about overkill and battery drain. Problem was they all offered something the others didn't. Now that I have photos everywhere, I'm looking to use one service, and simplify things. The search part does intrigue me, and I'm considering doing exactly what you said.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois