What are the Pros and Cons of Verizon Simultaneous Voice & Data on Samsung Devices?

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
What are the pros and cons of the different ways Samsung with Verizon does simultaneous voice and data?
I understand the previous Verizon Samsung devices did it with two radios.
How is the way they're doing it now better or worse than the way they did it previously?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's better for them because one day they want to be only LTE. So this is like then future proofing.

The only down side is if you have a weak LTE signal you could get dropped calls... Otherwise there really isn't a down side.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I've been using Google Voice for several years. My business number rings this phone through Google voice.
Are the calls I make through Google voice similar to the way Samsung is doing simultaneous voice and data now?

bubbad3

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about your area, but in mine, the sound quality is terrible. The ringer alone is distorted, but once the conversation starts? The voices echo, or sound computerized, or sometimes it sounds like the speaker is blown out. I took my phone in to Verizon thinking it was defective, but they acknowledged that the sound quality isn't great right now.

Posted via the Android Central App

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There is no pros it's all cons.
There wasn't anything wrong with the way they did it before. Doing it this way probably somehow puts more money in Verizon's pocket since the hard ware is probably cheaper to make. They now have one less antenna than before.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There is no pros it's all cons.
There wasn't anything wrong with the way they did it before. Doing it this way probably somehow puts more money in Verizon's pocket since the hard ware is probably cheaper to make. They now have one less antenna than before.

It doesn't really hence why they charge you nothing for it. Sure an antenna cost is small but all technology is working towards VoLTE... Not just Verizon. They want to phase the old stuff out to use that old spectrum towards LTE spectrum. In reality it's more pros than cons.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I didn't even know verizon had this now. I never have data when I'm talking on the phone. If someone sends me a picture I always have to hang up to be able to receive it. How do I get this?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I didn't even know verizon had this now. I never have data when I'm talking on the phone. If someone sends me a picture I always have to hang up to be able to receive it. How do I get this?

You can go into your account and add advanced calling to enable the feature. It is a free feature to add.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't really hence why they charge you nothing for it. Sure an antenna cost is small but all technology is working towards VoLTE... Not just Verizon. They want to phase the old stuff out to use that old spectrum towards LTE spectrum. In reality it's more pros than cons.
oh I fully understand why there doing it but theres really no reason not to keep things like they were until they get all the spectrum swapped over to lte. that would have been the best of both worlds . in my opinion its about 1 or 2 years to soon to be forcing this on everybody. for some of us its not working well enough right now to run a business on.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: What are the Pros and Cons of Verizon Simultaneous Voice & Data on Samsung Devices?

oh I fully understand why there doing it but theres really no reason not to keep things like they were until they get all the spectrum swapped over to lte. that would have been the best of both worlds . in my opinion its about 1 or 2 years to soon to be forcing this on everybody. for some of us its not working well enough right now to run a business on.

There is a reason though.. If they just dropped all the old and started swapping it to LTE every person without a VoLTE capable phone would be in trouble including their prepaid. They wouldn't just exclude all of them.. It wouldn't make sense.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a reason though.. If they just dropped all the old and started swapping it to LTE every person without a VoLTE capable phone would be in trouble including their prepaid. They wouldn't just exclude all of them.. It wouldn't make sense.

Yes but most all the new phones have the ability to do volte with a simple software update so it's not like anybody's getting left out. If anything the new way is forcing people with older phones that can't be volte capable with a update to upgrade there phone.
There's no real reason to remove one antenna and force this way of doing volte right now unless it some how saves them money. They could keep making phones the old way and slowly phase out all the old spectrum until everybody was on the same page.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes but most all the new phones have the ability to do volte with a simple software update so it's not like anybody's getting left out. If anything the new way is forcing people with older phones that can't be volte capable with a update to upgrade there phone.
There's no real reason to remove one antenna and force this way of doing volte right now unless it some how saves them money. They could keep making phones the old way and slowly phase out all the old spectrum until everybody was on the same page.

Just saying -- technology moves forward. It never just sits and waits. Hence why graphics cards for PCs churn out fast, phones come out every year with the best of the best hardware, and then carriers push more and more LTE speeds. They're not going to just stall and wait then instantly switch everyone without testing and all that -- it would be a horrible idea.