Question about backing up phone before factory reset

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
If I use smartswitch to back up my phone, will it restore my phone the way it was after I do a factory reset? Or will I have to manually restore my settings or home screen or anything like that? Thanks

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I just did a factory reset and restored with Smart Switch and you do have to set up your home screen and adjust the settings again; including disabling apps, setting up accounts, and lock screen settings. Other then that everything was restored, including apps. Bear in mind some apps tend to act odd after being restored from backup so if any give your trouble you'll just need to uninstall it and then install it from Google Play.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I just did a factory reset and restored with Smart Switch and you do have to set up your home screen and adjust the settings again; including disabling apps, setting up accounts, and lock screen settings. Other then that everything was restored, including apps. Bear in mind some apps tend to act odd after being restored from backup so if any give your trouble you'll just need to uninstall it and then install it from Google Play.

Thank you. In that case I just won't do it. Too much of a hassle x__x

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You may be able to update the apps that go wonky.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I prefer to restore fully from scratch. I have contacts, photos, and keep synced to Google among a few other things and that's all I need. Sure I have to set up my ringtones, apps, and settings but I find that when restoring that I didn't even use or need half the things I had before.

Posted via the Android Central App

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. In that case I just won't do it. Too much of a hassle x__x

I agree, I find it very painful Especially since all the apps that require different login and passwords,( for example i have a bunch of airline and travel apps that use an account number instead of email and I can never remeber what they are).

Wish Android had a back up like Apple does with iCloud as it restores your phone EXACTLY the way it was before restore.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I agree, I find it very painful Especially since all the apps that require different login and passwords,( for example i have a bunch of airline and travel apps that use an account number instead of email and I can never remeber what they are).

Wish Android had a back up like Apple does with iCloud as it restores your phone EXACTLY the way it was before restore.

Yea same here. Coming from an apple phone, I miss being able to restore my phone just the way it was :/ not to mention the iphone's battery life was much better

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yea same here. Coming from an apple phone, I miss being able to restore my phone just the way it was :/ not to mention the iphone's battery life was much better

As gator352 mentioned, whether it's brand new or refurbished, back up only what you need and start from scratch, that way you only have apps and files that you truly need or use often. If there's an app that you haven't used in years or that is already built in to the GS6, no need for it. Don't channel your inner digital packrat. It's not healthy to hoard.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Which version iPhone you talking about? I have both, the iPhone 6 and galaxy s6 and both are about on par with each other. The iPhone does have great standby time but as soon as you light that screen, it drops like a rock. Either way, both get me through a 16 hour day with light usage.

djm1947

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Helium will also restore the phone as it was, if that is what you want to do. Just be sure you have it saved in the cloud or to a computer and not just on the phone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I had heaps of photos marked as favourites. Did a factory reset restored with Smartswitch they all did not come back had to go through all my photos again and mark them again. Other than that everything else came back that I wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome