Fast charging the samsung s6 all the time, bad for the battery?

phonenoobie

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I read an article today saying fast charging your phone all the time is bad for the lithium battery.

I've been using my fast charger all the time since purchase, as it was packed with the phone, though reading this does concern me, especially as the s6 battery is unreplacable.

can anyone shed any light, on whether it effects the battery life in the long term?.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the AC Forums. You should fine for the foreseeable future unless you plan on keeping it more than three years. I have had my GS6 since launch and rapid charge every night with no issues.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Fast charging and wireless charging can and will, overtime, diminish the life span of a lithium ion battery. Now don't get me wrong, it happens over period of time and like JCP007 said, unless you plan on keeping it for 2 to 3 years, don't worry about it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Qualcom's Quich Charge 2.0 ("fast charging") is charging at the 1C rate (IOW, a 2550mAh battery being charged at 2550ma), which is the maximum recommended. Most phones charge at between 0.2 and 0.3C, which does make the battery last longer. But as JPC007 and Gator352 said, with the rate at which we replace our phones these days, it shouldn't matter. The 2 problems are heat (80 degrees F is about the hottest you should let your battery gt, and that's a bit warm - 68 is the ideal temperature for longest life [I know it's unrealistic, but we can't change the laws of physics yet]) and overdischarging. Don't let the battery drop below 40%, and you'll be getting rid of it with a battery with almost 100% capacity. (Let the phone shut off due to low battery every charging cycle and the battery will last 6 months - if you're lucky.)

Heat, discharge and water are really the only things you have to be concerned about. (And remember, leaving a phone out in the car all night in below freezing weather, then bringing into a warm house, causes condensation on every single surface inside the phone - it's almost as bad as dropping it into a lake. If you left it out all night, let it warm up slowly as the interior of the car warms up.) Also, don't leave it in direct sunlight - especially on the dashboard of a car. (You can actually crack Gorilla Glass 3 by doing that.)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Qualcom's Quich Charge 2.0 ("fast charging") is charging at the 1C rate (IOW, a 2550mAh battery being charged at 2550ma), which is the maximum recommended. Most phones charge at between 0.2 and 0.3C, which does make the battery last longer. But as JPC007 and Gator352 said, with the rate at which we replace our phones these days, it shouldn't matter. The 2 problems are heat (80 degrees F is about the hottest you should let your battery gt, and that's a bit warm - 68 is the ideal temperature for longest life [I know it's unrealistic, but we can't change the laws of physics yet]) and overdischarging. Don't let the battery drop below 40%, and you'll be getting rid of it with a battery with almost 100% capacity. (Let the phone shut off due to low battery every charging cycle and the battery will last 6 months - if you're lucky.)

Heat, discharge and water are really the only things you have to be concerned about. (And remember, leaving a phone out in the car all night in below freezing weather, then bringing into a warm house, causes condensation on every single surface inside the phone - it's almost as bad as dropping it into a lake. If you left it out all night, let it warm up slowly as the interior of the car warms up.) Also, don't leave it in direct sunlight - especially on the dashboard of a car. (You can actually crack Gorilla Glass 3 by doing that.)

Where the heck were you in another thread where I was saying don't let your lithium ion battery dip below 30% because it could diminish battery capacity? I was getting lambasted by droidguy and a moderator for saying such a thing..... ;) I had no backup!!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

How does the GG4 get affected?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
How does the GG4 get affected?

I would imagine about the same. It's real thin glass and it acts as a magnifying glass when in direct sunlight which weakens the integrity of the glass and possibly the internals as well.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine about the same. It's real thin glass and it acts as a magnifying glass when in direct sunlight which weakens the integrity of the glass and possibly the internals as well.

Glad mine is in a Defender so no worries.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I ran my s4 battery all the way down everyday for 2 years, the battery is still pretty good on it. Bought a spare factory battery and they last about the same amount of time. Still felt like a new device.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I ran my s4 battery all the way down everyday for 2 years, the battery is still pretty good on it. Bought a spare factory battery and they last about the same amount of time. Still felt like a new device.

No one said that it can't happen cause It most certainly can. But to rebut you, I used to run my S3 down everyday because I couldn't get near a plug to charge. The original battery after about 6 months would only last about 4 hours before it died. Bought a spare and same thing happened. Had to buy a third to get me to my upgrade cycle.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty